Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Nissan to take control of Mitsubishi following fuel economy scandal

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Maybe now Mitsubishi can buy out Nissan and Renault?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

inuvik (11-19-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

I've already seen one editorial (subscription) that questions the future of Nissan's alliance with Mitsubishi & Renault with Ghosn gone.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Too bad. This is very similar to Dennis Kozlowski and his time leading Tyco. Read the Wikipedia entry for more details.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I wouldn't be surprised if the Mitsubishi mothership doesn't repurchase enough shares to gain control over the board.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mitsubishi was the coolest cheap car manufacturer back in the 90s with lots of stuff to choose from. Dad had a 1994 Mighty Max pickup truck that he paid $7k for, new. He drove that thing for at least 15 years and it had over 225k miles with the original clutch disk until he sold it. I wish we still had that thing. It was a very simple design that you just couldn’t kill.

I doubt we will ever see the glory days of Mitsubishi again. They sales guy I bought my car from simply said they got greedy and made too many bad financial decisions in the 90s. Back then you could get a car loan and make no payments for a year. People defaulted on those loans. Mitsubishi also did shady things when people tried to get warranty work done and eventually got in trouble.

That’s the two things I can think of that killed their presence in the USA. End of rant.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Mitsubishi was the coolest cheap car manufacturer back in the 90s with lots of stuff to choose from. Dad had a 1994 Mighty Max pickup truck that he paid $7k for, new. He drove that thing for at least 15 years and it had over 225k miles with the original clutch disk until he sold it. I wish we still had that thing. It was a very simple design that you just couldn’t kill.

I doubt we will ever see the glory days of Mitsubishi again. They sales guy I bought my car from simply said they got greedy and made too many bad financial decisions in the 90s. Back then you could get a car loan and make no payments for a year. People defaulted on those loans. Mitsubishi also did shady things when people tried to get warranty work done and eventually got in trouble.

That’s the two things I can think of that killed their presence in the USA. End of rant.
    I don't think Fiat did anything to help Jeep's image. Likewise, I don't think Renault is going to do anything to help Mitsubishi's image.

Mitsubishi should focus on what other's aren't doing. For example, bring back the Mighty Max pickup truck. Make it basic, affordable, reliable, & dependable. A small affordable pickup truck would sell ten times better than their Eclipse Cross, because no one else is making/selling one here.

Many are eagerly anticipating the return of a Jeep pickup truck. I'm sure that truck will list well over $40,000. If Mitsubishi release a small pickup truck for half that price around the same time, they would catch the attention of consumers. Mitsubishi should focus on the parts of the market others are missing & cash in on it.

The Mirage should be listed as $10,000-12,000 car, and they should sell them for that price year round. I'm sorry but it's not a $15,000 car. So don't pretend that it is. First time car buyers become your future return buyers of the future. I still have a little bit of a soft spot for Honda, because my first car was a used 1978 Honda Civic Wagon. My dad's first car was a 1960 Chevy. He's been a GM guy his entire life.

Mitsubishi has the potential. It would be nice to see them get their act together and succeed!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Statement from Mitsubishi on removing Ghosn from the board:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/19/mitsubishi-will-propose-removing-ghosn-from-board.html

10. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (11-21-2018)