Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nissan to take control of Mitsubishi following fuel economy scandal

Nissan to take control of Mitsubishi following fuel economy scandal

Name:  Mitsubishi_Nissan.jpg
Views: 6448
Size:  32.2 KB

With Mitsubishi's JDM sales and stock price way down as a result of cheating on Japanese fuel economy ratings, it seems Nissan might swoop in and take control of the company.

I've seen this mentioned in two separate reports today. Here's one:

The Nikkei reports board meetings will take place Thursday to discuss a move by Nissan to spend some 200 billion yen, about $1.84 billion, to take a 30 percent interest in Mitsubishi Motors. That would make Nissan the controlling shareholder
    Source: http://jalopnik.com/nissan-in-talks-...rts-1776052758

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Funny. Nissan was like, hey, these fuel economy numbers don't match up with these cars you sold us Mitsubishi.

Mitsubishi be like, uhh, we over-inflated the tires to get better numbers. You could get these number too with the same tire pressure.

Stock drops. Nissan buys a major chunk of the company and be like, ha ha, suckers.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 53.4 mpg (US) ... 22.7 km/L ... 4.4 L/100 km ... 64.1 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ComputerAbuser For This Useful Post:

cyclopathic (05-12-2016),MetroMPG (05-11-2016)

^ Funny, that was the scenario that crossed my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    More from Reuters:

Nissan in talks to own third of Mitsubishi Motors for $1.8 billion: sources
    Sounds like either a vote of confidence, or making a bargain purchase.

I'm curious to know how that would impact the future production of our favorite little car.
    It's probably a bit of both: opportunism being the biggest factor.

It would mean platform & technology sharing between companies. Nissan has been openly looking to partner with other manufacturers for many months... if this is true, it seems like a logical step for them, considering Mitsubishi Motors is currently having a ~50% off stock sale!

The thing is: the Nissan Micra (a.k.a. March) and Mirage are very close competitors, at least in terms of the Micra's K13 platform. Both are A-segment "world cars". That said, the K14 Micra has already been developed, and my understanding is it's gone a bit more upscale, and also possibly a bit larger than the K13. That takes it a bit further away from the Mirage.

One other big difference: there's no Micra sedan.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Actually, this sounds nice. Nissan has been my second favorite Japanese Auto Manufacturer for almost the same reasons I love Mitsubishi. Excellent styling, motorsport history, and top tier AWD and traction control systems. I like seeing Evo's and GTR's together.

Now Renault owns Nissan, but Nissan owning some shares in Mitsubishi actually might help the company. Considering Mitsubishi Zaibatsu only makes 1% from it's motor corporation I don't imagine they'll be too upset with the sale if it's real. If it were Subaru or Toyota I feel like they might actually carry some animosity over it, but Nissan and Mitsu get along well. Mitsubishi has only entered any motorsport as of late to testbed new electric tech and hasn't cared much for manufacturing performance vehicles. On the other hand, Nissan revels in making Nismo versions of almost all of their cars and produces many sporty models currently.

Mitsubishi was at it's peak in the 90's and haven't put out an exciting car since the end of the eclipse and the death of the Evo. I would hope if this truly goes down that we'll see something fun again. Maaaaaaaybe even another RWD like the Starion. But these are just my thoughts.

EDIT: NMKV has already been an established venture between the two companies, so this is all making me quite giddy.
    Last edited by RedRage; 05-11-2016 at 08:06 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RedRage For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (05-11-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by RedRage View Post
    EDIT: NMKV has already been an established venture between the two companies, so this is all making me quite giddy.
    Ha! So NMKV is the partnership where Mitsu was producing the Kei vehicles for Nissan. The ones that started the fuel economy ratings scandal.

I love this quote from their site:

Our mission is to serve as a catalyst for both companies to make 1 + 1 = 3
    Apparently they applied that 1 + 1 = 3 thinking to their fuel economy testing!

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Nissan: we need to buy MMK,, how can we get more bang for the buck?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    More from Reuters:

Nissan in talks to own third of Mitsubishi Motors for $1.8 billion: sources
    Sounds like either a vote of confidence, or making a bargain purchase.

I'm curious to know how that would impact the future production of our favorite little car.
    Maybe they drove them into the ground in the first place to get a better deal?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Not sure this is going to happen, if the opportunity exists there is a possibility the Zaibatsu purchases the shares to keep it fully controlled under the umbrella. While this hurts the Japanese market, it doesn't appear to be causing much of a ripple in other markets. Depends on what they see as more of a potential upside. While a fraction of total profit it might be how they identify it with their brand identity.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Nisssan and Mitsubishi have been in bed with each other for a long time, so I doubt much would change. Mitsubishi is actually a minority shareholder in JATCO, the transmission company controlled by Nissan.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

HitShane (06-23-2016),MetroMPG (05-12-2016),RedRage (05-12-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclopathic View Post
    Maybe they drove them into the ground in the first place to get a better deal?
    Hmmm...if this was Nissan's end-game all along, it was a smart one. Nissan blows the whistle on Mitsubishi's 'misdeeds', causes their stock price to tank, then sweeps in and buys all of the discounted stock and takes over the company?

Pretty diabolically genius, if you ask me...