Thread: lowering the final drive, aka "nerd gear" for better fuel economy/MPG

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Fantastic. Thanks!
    AND it's formatted as a table!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This literally sounds effin awful. The mirage is a nightmare on the highway anyways lol. Far right lane every trip.

On a serious note on our first mirage we got amazing mileage on the highway but on the 17 we get mostly crummy 30 to 35 mpg. In city im getting 41 constant. Have a just forgotten how to drive this thing at highway speeds?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Clessy View Post
    This literally sounds effin awful. The mirage is a nightmare on the highway anyways lol. Far right lane every trip.

On a serious note on our first mirage we got amazing mileage on the highway but on the 17 we get mostly crummy 30 to 35 mpg. In city im getting 41 constant. Have a just forgotten how to drive this thing at highway speeds?
    I have a 2017. I do 4 hour highway trips to my parents quite often. I never see below 40 mpg on a trip during any time of the year. Rear sway bar helped my only concern about the car.

If my Mirage got 30-35 mpg, it would have been sold a long time ago. I expect better from a small economy car. I would be driving something nicer.

Are you calculating your mpg @ the gas pump? I never turn on the dash mpg display.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I have a 2017. I do 4 hour highway trips to my parents quite often. I never see below 40 mpg on a trip during any time of the year. Rear sway bar helped my only concern about the car.

If my Mirage got 30-35 mpg, it would have been sold a long time ago. I expect better from a small economy car. I would be driving something nicer.

Are you calculating your mpg @ the gas pump? I never turn on the dash mpg display.
    Just using the dash. Im not doing the actual break down.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Just using the dash. Im not doing the actual break down.
    The "A" reading resets itself after approximately 4 hrs of non vehicle use so keep that in mind.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    And the dash fuel economy gauge is not entirely accurate - it averages about 2.2 mpg higher than manual calculations.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    The "A" reading resets itself after approximately 4 hrs of non vehicle use so keep that in mind.
    Yeah I've noticed that. Every time you turn on the car its at like 0 miles and takes me around 5 minutes to get back into the 30's Is there another more accurate gauge but I feel like im getting way more but the numbers arent matching. We've had the car a little over a week and already blown our 1000 mile warranty out the door. I know we've driven over 1000 miles and spent around $25 in gas so far. About 3 fill ups not all from dead empty though.

I know we've driven over 1000 miles and spent around $25 in gas so far. About 3 fill ups not all from dead empty though.
    WOW. So you're averaging about 44mpg if any of those numbers are close to being accurate. Maybe use the fuelly app or just hand calculate your economy rather than using the guessometer. My average economy for the last 9 months works out to 40mpg, 80% freeway 50-60mph and the rest stop and go. My last tank was 35, with part of it being driven on a low-flat tire...

It cost's me around $25 to fill mine 7-8 gallons and I barely get 300 miles to a tank.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah I've noticed that. Every time you turn on the car its at like 0 miles and takes me around 5 minutes to get back into the 30's Is there another more accurate gauge but I feel like im getting way more but the numbers arent matching.
    This is accurate and not a malfunction. A cold engine will use more fuel until it warms up. Once it is up to full operating temperature you'll see it's most efficient operation.

Also keep in mind that the A gauge resets itself if the car is shut off for four hours. Again perfectly normal for how this is designed.

I know we've driven over 1000 miles and spent around $25 in gas so far. About 3 fill ups not all from dead empty though.
    Sounds about right for colder winter temperatures. Are you running a stock-size set of tires? Any other modifications?

You can also monitor instantaneous fuel economy through your OBD-II port.

Maybe we should move this discussion from the standard transmission thread to your forum Garage entry?