Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Performance Air Filter

Country
    Malaysia
    Thanks
    Ok. Here's the report. The engine runs in open loop for about 7 seconds after the car is started. Then it goes into closed loop.

It also goes into open loop when fuel cutoff happens. Fuel cutoff happens very quickly and can continue to about 30 km/h on my CVT.

Ps. This is for Malaysia as there is no winter, I don't know how the engine reacts in freezing temps.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage (Malaysia) GS 1.2 automatic: 44.6 mpg (US) ... 19.0 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    Nope, the O2 sensor keeps air fuel ratios in check when an engine is in closed loop mode (which is by far most of the time).
    I don't pretend to know anything about this but I'de like to learn. Aren't all sensors downstream of the MAF? If so why doesn't the MAF control to some degree the air fuel ratio? I mean what is the MAFs purpose? What would happen to the performance/engine if the air filter was impeeded alittle?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    The MAF is there to double check things and is also there in case the O2 sensor has any problems. The O2 sensor really is the controlling sensor for fueling though. If your air filter is restricted (which really is no different than if your throttle isn't 100% open as far as the engine is concerned), it sees more fuel in the exhaust gas and it trims the fuel injection back to bring it back inline with what it is supposed to be.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Indonesia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CheezyWedges View Post
    Any like K&N aperformance air filter suitable for mirage?
    some user in my country, report that mirage 3A92 oem filter is the same as in toyota yaris 1.5ltr 1NZ-FE.... and he said he already used it....

for improvement... good filter able to increase Air flow to the engine....
    i guess it could gave some improvement, because just a dirty oem filter able to reduce performance and fuel consumption. and if you clean it or replace it, you could feel improvement right away.a

and aftermarket air filter is washable so you could use it much longer than oem filter..

thanks

5. The Following User Says Thank You to anginlumpur For This Useful Post:

CheezyWedges (06-28-2013)

Country
    Indonesia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Polkiuj View Post
    yes. Closed loop is most of the time.

There is only very rare cases the engine will be in open loop.

1. When fuel cutoff happens (while cruising)
    2. When car is just started (few seconds)

I will check how long later
    hi
    i agreed with you i found out the engine run on open loop,
    -when decelerating ,whether it's really did fuel cutoff/dfco i'm still not sure , because if i am use a OBDII scanner for displaying instant fuel consumption.. it did still consume some fuel... the instant fc didn't goes to zero km/l. like i found in my other car in it's onboard instant fc MID. can someone confirm this? i found the CVT goes to enginebrake mode even on D very often.. especially on hilly road.
    -when Wide Open Throttle.... or hard acceleration..
    -when engine still cold until the temperature indicator light goes off usually 5 to 7 minute

thanks

Country
    Malaysia
    Thanks
    Hi anginlumpur.

DFCO definitely happens and quite often too. Mine reads 999.9 km/l on my UG (that means 0). What gauge or scanner are u using?

I haven't tried WOT sorry haha. Thanks for reporting.

Hmm, I'll test again tmr but seems like my engine only runs in open loop for 7-10 seconds during my morning start

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage (Malaysia) GS 1.2 automatic: 44.6 mpg (US) ... 19.0 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Malaysia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by anginlumpur View Post
    some user in my country, report that mirage 3A92 oem filter is the same as in toyota yaris 1.5ltr 1NZ-FE.... and he said he already used it....

for improvement... good filter able to increase Air flow to the engine....
    i guess it could gave some improvement, because just a dirty oem filter able to reduce performance and fuel consumption. and if you clean it or replace it, you could feel improvement right away.a

and aftermarket air filter is washable so you could use it much longer than oem filter..

thanks
    hi bro,

did you have any group fb or any website that i can join , maybe its good for exchange the knowledge.

Thanks

Country
    Indonesia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Polkiuj View Post
    Hi anginlumpur.

DFCO definitely happens and quite often too. Mine reads 999.9 km/l on my UG (that means 0). What gauge or scanner are u using?

I haven't tried WOT sorry haha. Thanks for reporting.

Hmm, I'll test again tmr but seems like my engine only runs in open loop for 7-10 seconds during my morning start
    wow, a good news
    currently i'm using ELM327 Bluetooth with android apps like torque pro and dash command to read some parameter.. and so far i have been using several other android apps, that able to display instant fc, and still didn't found any apss that able to display significant instant fc drop while engine braking/dfco let alone be zero or jump to 999km/l

the only sign it goes to dfco mode i could see is, the o2 sensor goes flat, engine load gauge goes lower than when idle, sometime near to zero, the timing advance spark when in D it goes zero, but when in B it advancing to more than 40

the weird thing instant fc gauge still show aroud 1.1l/100km no matter how far i did engine braking

what scanner are you using?looks like very interesting

yup i noticed when i accelerate hard.... the fuel status goes to open loop... i guess its different "open loop mode" than when dfco, maybe it's add extra fuel for rich burn during accelerating for more power.

hmmmmmmm i guess i'm gonna look into it again, for open loop during first start hehehe
    maybe you are right it is only happen when the idle rpm goes higher around 1K during first start for few second

thanks

Country
    Indonesia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CheezyWedges View Post
    hi bro,

did you have any group fb or any website that i can join , maybe its good for exchange the knowledge.

Thanks
    yes, we made indonesian mirage club on fb, kaskus and we had our website. which can be found here

fb
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/indon...eclub/?fref=ts
    web forum
    http://www.indonesianmirageclub.com/

most of it in indonesian language, but don't worry we will help you if you got some problem

see you there glad to sharing

Country
    Malaysia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by anginlumpur View Post
    yes, we made indonesian mirage club on fb, kaskus and we had our website. which can be found here

fb
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/indon...eclub/?fref=ts
    web forum
    http://www.indonesianmirageclub.com/

most of it in indonesian language, but don't worry we will help you if you got some problem

see you there glad to sharing
    dont worry,

i can understand as long as a bit bahasa malay in there.