Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just bought 2017 Mirage!

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Just bought 2017 Mirage!

I'll start off by saying that I have never owned a new car. I've been a '96 Geo Metro driver for the past 6 years. I have never even test driven a new car so I don't have much to compare the Mirage with. I've owned my 2017 5 speed ES for 5 days and so far I like it a lot. It's not perfect. It's engine/trans is a little noisy (quieter than Geo) and when driving with the AC on there is a noticeable "surging" that is kind of annoying......(Does anyone notice this problem with a 2014-2015?) I do really like that I've been averaging about 48mpg. This is mixed driving with a lot of mountainous terrain. I even hit 52mpg yesterday when driving about 55mph on a hilly 2 lane highway. The steering seems pretty sensitive but overall it is easy to drive. It's definitely much faster and has better acceleration that my Geo. I had some buyers remorse the day I got it. The AC surging was a little obnoxious and I wasn't so sure about the color I got (Sunrise Orange). After driving it for a couple days, I'm happy I bought it and I'm really starting to like the color. It's not so much orange but more like copper.

Has anyone else driven the 2017 and how do you think it compared with the 2015?

Attached Images Attached Images  

Bikerfreind
    Country
    Denmark
    Thanks
    Congrats on your new Mirage
    Would be happy if it could test drive it here in Denmark, but we have to wait a little longer before Mitsubishi sells the car here..
    I cant really answer any of your questions, but i think that someone will have a idéa soon

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I bought a 2015 but didn't notice much if any difference between it and the 2017. I didn't notice much of a surge driving with the AC on, but based on your fuel economy you drive a little more efficiently than I do, I think the max I got was 48mpg on a mixed very hilly drive with AC running, usually about 40 otherwise.

As far as buyers remorse I thought I'd have some but the car is substantially better than I anticipated for the cost. I've been driving my grandparents Focus on and off the past few weeks while I get some of my cars inspected and I like the Mirage better. It rides better and while its engine is noisy at times it is no worse than the Focus and it vibrates less at idle and gets way better gas mileage.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to man114 For This Useful Post:

debburyl (05-17-2016),Eggman (05-16-2016),inuvik (05-16-2016),Joni (05-16-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Welcome to the forum and it looks great! I like this color and I agree it's more of a copper than orange

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Welcome! Lotta refugees from the Geo Metro community here. My Mirage replaced a '97 Metro, and my girlfriend's Mirage replaced her '99 Metro.

This car has a small engine. So when the AC compressor kicks on, you really feel it in the gas pedal. The engine isn't surging, the compressor is cycling on and off, thus changing the engine's load. The load of the compressor takes horsepower that would normally be used to move the car forward. so you have to apply more throttle to compensate. If the compressor didn't cycle on and off, the AC system would ice up and quit working. Perfectly normal, but something you generally don't feel in a car with a larger, more powerful engine.

Just enjoy the working AC that your Metro likely didn't have!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Joni (05-16-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Joni View Post
    It's engine/trans is a little noisy (quieter than Geo) and when driving with the AC on there is a noticeable "surging" that is kind of annoying......(Does anyone notice this problem with a 2014-2015?)
    That's the compressor cycling. I get that on mine, but I've kept my AC off so I don't get that surging you mention.

I suppose it's not really necessary to run the compressor all the time so the car turns it off when not needed. I like that because it saves fuel, and that's a big reason why I considered buying this car in the first place. That AC compressor cycling is pretty noticeable on a little car like the Mirage, maybe more so with it's little engine. I don't notice it as much in cars with bigger engines and more horsepower.

I've been driving my 2015 for about ten weeks now and I find I don't notice a lot of those little quirks any more. I found I had to spend more time learning my car's features, such as automatic climate control, bluetooth phone setup and use, keyless entry, etc. Now that I've figured out my settings, I don't fiddle with it as much and just hop in and drive.

There's a lot to these little cars. I'm sure you'll settle in with yours in no time.

One question for you. Does your car have the automatic climate control? If so, there is a way to keep the auto climate control from automatically turning on the AC. I found mine would turn on the AC almost all the time. I didn't want that, so I turned it off.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

debburyl (05-17-2016),Joni (05-16-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by man114 View Post
    I've been driving my grandparents Focus on and off the past few weeks while I get some of my cars inspected and I like the Mirage better. It rides better and while its engine is noisy at times it is no worse than the Focus and it vibrates less at idle and gets way better gas mileage.
    I agree. I recently sold my previous car, a 2007 Ford Focus SE wagon. The few times I would drive it after I bought my Mirage, I was surprised at how much heavier it was, how noisy it was, and how much smoother my Mirage ran. I miss having the room of that wagon - I could fit a lot in there - but I rarely used that cargo capacity. I figure there's no need to haul all that extra weight around if I rarely use it.

And as you say, the Mirage is better on gas. I'm going about twice as far in my Mirage than the old Focus for the same amount of fuel.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    If you want to minimize a/c surge run it on recirculation and higher temperature setting. That reduces load and improves MPG and reduces surge.

And it will feel better after break in, less load but you also get used to it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cyclopathic For This Useful Post:

debburyl (05-17-2016),Joni (05-16-2016),Sprinterx29 (05-16-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I agree with everyone about getting used to the car. I have been driving mine almost a month now, and I went from a Mazda 3 Hatch. Getting used to the handling, the tilting (we call it "marshmallowing" when I take a sharp turn) and the...how shall I say, lack of easy power? What I mean by that is, the Mazda (6-speed) practically drives itself, with TB I have had to get used to 'driving' again, and adjusting to using the gears and thinking strategically. But after a few weeks I have the hang of it and it's fun! I have noticed the AC surging, and have figured out how to adjust it, like cyclopathic suggested. My basic opinion on all things Mirage is that Mitsubishi made an awesome economical car and knows it. They excluded anything fancy or luxury as "unnecessary" and only kept things that were truly functional and added to the efficiency of the car. I love pulling down the visor and feeling it's cheap squishy plastic, while only filling the tank once in the last month!!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 39.8 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Welcome! Lotta refugees from the Geo Metro community here. My Mirage replaced a '97 Metro, and my girlfriend's Mirage replaced her '99 Metro.

This car has a small engine. So when the AC compressor kicks on, you really feel it in the gas pedal. The engine isn't surging, the compressor is cycling on and off, thus changing the engine's load. The load of the compressor takes horsepower that would normally be used to move the car forward. so you have to apply more throttle to compensate. If the compressor didn't cycle on and off, the AC system would ice up and quit working. Perfectly normal, but something you generally don't feel in a car with a larger, more powerful engine.

Just enjoy the working AC that your Metro likely didn't have!

Perfect explanation of what I was sure was happening. I just didn't explain it very well. And yes, I'm thrilled to have AC at all. I've never owned a car that had AC before.