Thread: Competition? What is like the Mirage in North America?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Competition? What is like the Mirage in North America?

Seems that with the fuel economy numbers the Mirage is putting out, it is nearly in a class of its own.

The Ford Fiesta ecoboost seems to be challenging for the MPG crown, and of course the Chevy Spark, Fiat 500, and Mazda 2 are quite small. A Smart car, being a 2 seater, seems like a different thing.

If someone was considering a Mirage, wanting room for 4 and very good fuel economy, what other cars might compete? Does anyone know of new models coming down the pipe that will have similar design missions?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    nissan has the note coming out. I think it shares the same 1.6L versa engine which doesn't get great mpgs

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    We've done a couple compairison threads. We were pretty liberal with regards to the Mirage's competitors, but here is the list we used:

1. Smart ForTwo
    2. Mitsubishi Mirage
    3. Scion iQ
    4. Toyota Yaris
    5. Mazda 2
    6. Chevrolet Spark
    7. Nissan Versa
    8. Fiat 500
    9. Hyundai Accent
    10. Kia Rio
    11. Honda Fit
    12. Mini Cooper
    13. Ford Fiesta

From thread: http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...e-curb-weight)
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Canoehead (06-25-2013)

In terms of a small 4-door hatchbacks...

-- The Fiesta 1.0 ecoboost will probably be the closest competitor in terms of fuel economy, but it will also be significantly more expensive. And I don't think it's going to unseat the Mirage for fuel economy. See 2014 Mirage 1.2 vs. Ford Fiesta 1.0 ecoboost - which has better mileage/fuel economy?

-- If you're just after a small 4-door hatch with a low price, the Chevy Spark would be the closest competitor.

-- It's not on the list, but if money is no object and fuel economy is your top goal, the Toyota Prius C would be the car to get. What would get better fuel economy/mileage: Prius C or Mirage?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Canoehead (06-25-2013)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I've heard rumours (just that, as the company says they have no plans) that a Civic Hatchback with a 1.6 diesel engine may someday come to Canada. I'd buy one of those! They already exist in the UK and India, but apparently are not coming here just yet.

*Edited to add - I wrote Honda Canada to get it from the horse's mouth. Official reply, in part "At the present time, there are no current plans to introduce diesel vehicles into the Canadian market."
    Last edited by Canoehead; 06-29-2013 at 08:06 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I wouldn't hold my breath. Honda has too many other 'fuel efficient' Civic options to butcher sales with yet another option.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)