Thread: Headlight bulb replacement

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Question Headlight bulb replacement

Hello Mirage & Space Star owners, I need your help.

I have a 2021 Mirage G4. My drivers side headlight went out yesterday so I promptly went and bought a Sylvania replacement bulb from the auto parts store. I don't want to be one of those one headlight drivers that are everywhere in Kentucky. The high beam still works, its the low beam that went out.

I haven't replaced a headlight bulb in 30 years (and those were the days when the big round headlights were the bulb).

I dutifully watched every Youtube video from people across the world (Alabama, Europe, Philippines) and they all resolved to the same conclusion: Unplug, rubber boot, spring clip, remove old bulb, new bulb (don't touch the glass) and reassemble in reverse. Those videos made it look so uncomplicated.

Mirage owners, I cant get the plug to unplug. I push on it, pull on it, the Alabama guy said spray it down with WD-40. The plug is just stuck, like it has a plastic locking tab that you need to press down much like when you replace your windshield wipers. The wires going into the bottom of the plug are so delicate I didn't want to manhandle them too much.

I've got Channel lock pliers and Vice Grips that could rip that plug out, but I had to stop. Is there a tab I should be pushing when I'm unplugging? The plug feels like its LOCKED in from the top.

Please advise. I'm 60 years old, I'm not a mechanic, but do I know leftie loosie, righty tighty.

I don't want to be a Mitsubishi one headlight wonder. That's just wrong.

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I usually remove the bulb from the headlight bucket and then I can grab the bulb and wiring to pull apart. They are very tight and a pain. I one time used a screwdriver to pry the connector away from the bulb.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny Mullet For This Useful Post:

inuvik (09-18-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dberry View Post

I have a 2021 Mirage G4. My drivers side headlight went out yesterday so I promptly went and bought a Sylvania replacement bulb from the auto parts store. .
    Would you be able to go to a dealer & have them change it for you under the 5 year warranty???
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

mohammad (09-18-2023)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dberry View Post

I have a 2021 Mirage G4. My drivers side headlight went out yesterday so I promptly went and bought a Sylvania replacement bulb from the auto parts store. I don't want to be one of those one headlight drivers that are everywhere in Kentucky. The high beam still works, its the low beam that went out.

I haven't replaced a headlight bulb in 30 years (and those were the days when the big round headlights were the bulb).

I dutifully watched every Youtube video from people across the world (Alabama, Europe, Philippines) and they all resolved to the same conclusion: Unplug, rubber boot, spring clip, remove old bulb, new bulb (don't touch the glass) and reassemble in reverse. Those videos made it look so uncomplicated.

Mirage owners, I cant get the plug to unplug. I push on it, pull on it, the Alabama guy said spray it down with WD-40. The plug is just stuck, like it has a plastic locking tab that you need to press down much like when you replace your windshield wipers. The wires going into the bottom of the plug are so delicate I didn't want to manhandle them too much.

I've got Channel lock pliers and Vice Grips that could rip that plug out, but I had to stop. Is there a tab I should be pushing when I'm unplugging? The plug feels like its LOCKED in from the top.

Please advise. I'm 60 years old, I'm not a mechanic, but do I know leftie loosie, righty tighty.

I don't want to be a Mitsubishi one headlight wonder. That's just wrong.
    might need a screwdriver to pry it out.. you got picture.. can we take a look?

I'll take a look at a 2023 once it's light outside here... I'm sure it's the same as the older headlights but I'll double check. Unless you have a fancy model with led or hid bulbs?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)