Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 175 65R 14's on stock 14 inch steelies

Country
    United States
    Thanks

175 65R 14's on stock 14 inch steelies

Simple question: Will that size fit with no issues on a stock 2109 steel rim that fits a normal 165 65R 14? There are so many more choices if it does, thanks!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon2knight View Post
    Simple question: Will that size fit with no issues on a stock 2109 steel rim that fits a normal 165 65R 14? There are so many more choices if it does, thanks!
    Yes, many members are using 175/65r14 tires, because of that very reason (more choices).

Some tire shop may not want to mount tires that aren't factory size, but many members have done it. 175/65r14 are 23" diameter tires and 165/65r14 are 22.4". Variance is 2.7%. Anything within 3% is usually not an issue.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (10-30-2020),Top_Fuel (10-30-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Yes, many members are using 175/65r14 tires, because of that very reason (more choices).

Some tire shop may not want to mount tires that aren't factory size, but many members have done it. 175/65r14 are 23" diameter tires and 165/65r14 are 22.4". Variance is 2.7%. Anything within 3% is usually not an issue.
    Excellent! Looking for something to replace brand new Bridgestone Potenza's in the stock size. Just got through a rough day sliding around in some heav-ish rain today....I figured there has to be a better way!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Excellent! Looking for something to replace brand new Bridgestone Potenza's in the stock size. Just got through a rough day sliding around in some heav-ish rain today....I figured there has to be a better way!
    Larger, wider tires would guarantee more traction. In some cases, a narrower tire will provide better traction, especially in snow.

I wouldn't give up on brand new tires. Bridgestone Potenza tires are exactly cheap. If the weather is bad, I would just slow down. Sorry, this is the old fart version of me talking.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (10-30-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Larger, wider tires would guarantee more traction. In some cases, a narrower tire will provide better traction, especially in snow.

I wouldn't give up on brand new tires. Bridgestone Potenza tires are exactly cheap. If the weather is bad, I would just slow down. Sorry, this is the old fart version of me talking.
    Oh, totally understand. If I paid for them, I'd wear them bald But Carvana bought them and installed them, so no issues replacing them at all.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Oh, totally understand. If I paid for them, I'd wear them bald But Carvana bought them and installed them, so no issues replacing them at all.
    I think you paid for them, not Carvana? The tires you have are a relatively expensive LRR (low rolling resistance) tire. Remember you are driving a lightweight car. It's not going to plow through heavy rain like other heavy, larger vehicles.

One member has your Bridgestone tires you, and he lives in Canada (uses them year round). I believe he's used them for a number of years now, too!

It's your choice to switch tires. I do think LRR tires offer better economy at the expense of some traction.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think you paid for them, not Carvana? The tires you have are a relatively expensive LRR (low rolling resistance) tire. Remember you are driving a lightweight car. It's not going to plow through heavy rain like other heavy, larger vehicles.

One member has your Bridgestone tires you, and he lives in Canada (uses them year round). I believe he's used them for a number of years now, too!

It's your choice to switch tires. I do think LRR tires offer better economy at the expense of some traction.
    Actually, Carvana paid for them during my 7 day trial period to get me to keep the car, they do this with lots of folks for that reason. They are expensive tires no doubt, but I don't judge my tires on cost, I judge them on how well they keep me planted, especially in the wet. RE92's are great on dry pavement, not so much in the rain/snow. I'll probably give them a few thousand more miles to judge them better, but as soon as I feel unsafe whilst using them, off they come

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Actually, Carvana paid for them during my 7 day trial period to get me to keep the car...
    Why did they give you new tires? Were the previous tires worn out? Do you remember what brand they were?

The RE92s are pretty good tires. If you decide to get rid of them and they're new, someone on this forum may buy them from you.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Why did they give you new tires? Were the previous tires worn out? Do you remember what brand they were?

The RE92s are pretty good tires. If you decide to get rid of them and they're new, someone on this forum may buy them from you.
    Despite being a 2019, it was a rental with 25,000 miles on it. And despite the tires being obviously rotated (even wear on all 4 tires), they were pretty worn down, just above my states inspection level. They were the original Dunlops. I told Carvana "change the tires or come pick up the car", they said they'd change them out and that was that. I ended up with the RE92's simply because no one in SilverRocks service places (SilverRock is Carvana's service arm) could get any tire that was 165 65R 14's. One place managed to source and get in the RE92's and despite the price being almost ridiculous Carvana went for it. They also put in new front brakes and cleaned the rear brakes plus gave it a 4 wheel alignment( Well, 2 wheel, can't adjust the rear ). Not bad.
    Last edited by dragon2knight; 10-30-2020 at 02:31 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to dragon2knight For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (10-30-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Man...that's pretty good service from Carvanna. You can't ask for more that that!

That's good news that the original Dunlops were evenly worn. Sounds like this car doesn't have any funky alignment issues. Those Potenzas are expensive ($115/each on Tire Rack) but the replacement Dunlops would have been even more.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post: