Thread: Engine compartment, bottom cover

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts

Engine compartment, bottom cover

Hi folks, put a cover on the bottom of the engine compartment today. Now the bottom is smooth, it stays better clean inside, and the axle member is not in the path of the air flow any more. This new cover can be removed easily if needed, but will generally remain in its place.

Parts needed:

1) One board, 90 x 75 cm, 3mm thick, made of PE.
    PE is a thermoplast, the stuff kitchen cutting boards and the famous "Hufferwear" is made out of. There a shops that cut you a board in the size you want. My board was "natural" colour, and for PE that is white. However PE can be obtained in every colour plus black.
    Better than PE would be PP, the same material the original covers are, but PP wasn't available.

2) Spread-fasteners, 10 to 12 piece, size (diameter) 8mm These are used for fastening, same as the original plastic fasteners.

Tools: Sharp knife, jigsaw, drill plus drillbit 8.5mm

The rear of the cover is fastened to the front axle body with a 10mm diameter bolt throgh an already existing hole.
    If you look at the axle body, you will see there is a hole fairly in the middle. This will accept a bolt inserted from above, a nut fastens the cover.

The very front received three cut-outs, so that the cover could be tucked-in under the front cladding("bumper").
    One circular cut-out was put in the cover under the oilfilter, one under the gearbox oil service bolt, and the area under the engine oil pan was also cut out. See pix.

The sides are held with spread-fasteners, those plastic things much of the car is clipped together with. My fasteners were obtained from a Peugeout dealer, and cost almost nothing.
    Just drill through the cover board and the original plastic stuff it sits on, put the fastener in and youre done.
    The PE board was the most expensive part, it cost €30.- being 20 odd $.

Time: I needed about six hours to do it neatly.

And no, the car does not overheat! The area above the front axle body is enough for airflow.

See pictures for details!

Name:  right side.jpg
Views: 698
Size:  51.5 KB

Name:  right side with cutout for oil pan and filter.jpg
Views: 603
Size:  38.3 KB

Name:  left side.jpg
Views: 579
Size:  46.9 KB

Name:  rear fastening.jpg
Views: 571
Size:  40.0 KB

Name:  spread clamp.jpg
Views: 579
Size:  21.6 KB

Last edited by foama; 05-21-2016 at 08:10 AM.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

Daox (05-21-2016),Eggman (05-20-2016),MightyMirageMpg (05-21-2016),MysticMirage (05-20-2016),ThunderG (05-20-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Interesting to see that the EU version didn't come with one. The US version has one that snaps into the front bumper, making the bumper a pain to remove as you have to remove the panel to get to the bolts.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 51.2 mpg (US) ... 21.8 km/L ... 4.6 L/100 km ... 61.5 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MysticMirage For This Useful Post:

Eggman (05-20-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Nice install. It's just hard to say, with out any actual wind tunnel testing, whether there is any airflow benefit.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MysticMirage View Post
    Interesting to see that the EU version didn't come with one. The US version has one that snaps into the front bumper, making the bumper a pain to remove as you have to remove the panel to get to the bolts.
    I was going to ask about the US version as mine didn't come with one. I'll ask my dealer about it at oil change time.

Thanks!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    UK
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    The UK ones do too. It doesn't extend very far backwards though - it comes to within about 1/2" of the engine sump and that's it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 3 CVT 1.2 automatic: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.5 mpg (Imp)

Bikerfreind
    Country
    Denmark
    Thanks
    Part number would be nice
    If your local dealers then could buy the parts ..

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts
    The European version does have a cover, but it goes from the "bumper" barely 10cm (medieval measures: 3 to 4 inches) further. It does not touch the oilpan, and under the gearbox is all entirely open. Presumably not much different from the US version?

Last edited by foama; 05-21-2016 at 08:12 AM.