Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting ready for first autocross Sunday. (pics)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Getting ready for first autocross Sunday. (pics)

Hi everyone,

Getting ready for my first ever autocross. While the mirage isn't my fastest car, it's definitely the cheapest to fix, and frankly, just fun too push around turns.

I'm on factory suspension with Honda civic "hx" 14x5.5" rims with 185/60r14 tires (480 treadwear lol)

The only real modifications I've done, is remove weight. It's made a noticeable difference. Obviously the pictures tell the story. The rims\tires, even though they're wider, and taller, are lighter than the steelies by a few pounds each. Overall I've easily removed 5% of the cars weight, and it has definitely shown in seat of the pants and reduced roll.

I'm not necessarily going to try and win, or even fit into a specific class. Just going too have fun, but all that being said, anyone have any advise?

Attached Images Attached Images      

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MightyMirageMpg For This Useful Post:

Eggman (05-22-2016),inuvik (05-22-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My advice would be to find a nice local dirt track and start racing a hobby stock car. Something with an inspected roll cage, harness, and helmet is much safer than running one of our Mirages around a track. Plus rubbin fenders and trading paint is my opinion of real racing. Good luck !!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to flatbroke For This Useful Post:

MightyMirageMpg (05-22-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Looks good I hope you have fun. What rim/tire combo are you running?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to silverstreak For This Useful Post:

MightyMirageMpg (05-25-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    When the Mirage electric steering overheats it reduces its assistance until it cools down again. Be aware of this before your start. Practice some before tackling your course to see what I mean. I'll find a reference in the owner's manual on this.

Good thing autocross is held on an open lot. Things might not go as well as you hope.
    Last edited by Eggman; 05-21-2016 at 08:30 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MightyMirageMpg (05-22-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Found the reference. It is on page 5-49 of the 2015 Mirage Owner's Manual.

During repeated full-lock turning of the steering wheel (for example, while you are manoeuvring the vehicle into a parking space), a protection function may be activated to prevent overheating of the power steering system. This function will make the steering wheel gradually harder to turn. In this event, limit your turning of the steering wheel for a while. When the system has cooled down, the steering effort will return to normal.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

HitShane (05-22-2016),MightyMirageMpg (05-22-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Its funny what auto engineers have to take into account when designing a car.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    When the Mirage electric steering overheats it reduces its assistance until it cools down again......

Good thing autocross is held on an open lot. Things might not go as well as you hope.
    thanks for the advise, i do not have a manual and would've thought i broke something. luckily i "engine off coast" from a few blocks away from my house to my spot, so I'm sure I'm capable of wrestling this thing around without any assist. if it turns to be an issue, I'll could always pull the fuse giving me a constant "no assist"

can i ask at you meant by your last comment? are these things major under performers on autocross?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by silverstreak View Post
    Looks good I hope you have fun. What rim/tire combo are you running?
    185/65r14s on honda hx rims (early 90s civic) 14x5.5 unsure on backspace but no spacers or anything. rims are made by enkei, directly for honda, and lighter than most.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMirageMpg View Post
    thanks for the advise, i do not have a manual and would've thought i broke something. luckily i "engine off coast" from a few blocks away from my house to my spot, so I'm sure I'm capable of wrestling this thing around without any assist. if it turns to be an issue, I'll could always pull the fuse giving me a constant "no assist"

can i ask at you meant by your last comment? are these things major under performers on autocross?
    Since you have the CVT I would run the course in "B". You can do at least 70 in "B". Remember torque peak is at 4000 and max hp is at 6000. Gotta keep that 3A92 singing to keep yourself in the "zone". I've downshifted into "B" at 70 mph and it revs to about 5000.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm just curious, how many miles are on your Mirage? To the OP MightyMirageMpg...

Last edited by flatbroke; 05-22-2016 at 01:01 AM.