Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Mirage taxi

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    The engine computer should bump the idle up to around 1000-1100 rpm when the AC compressor kicks on. Is it doing that?
    Agreed, idle up circuit should kick in when the compressor engages.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Does the A/C work okay? On ours, the refrigerant was low and it was cycling the compressor on an off every few seconds (way too often). When it would re-engage the compressor, the engine would bog down to 500-600 RPM briefly and wasn't happy about it.

I had it recharged (they charged me $120...) and now it no longer cycles the compressor.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,822 Times in 2,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by adrew View Post
    now it no longer cycles the compressor.
    This is interesting. I was using my AC yesterday and noticed each time the compressor kicked in. Forum member Rkt Ship reported having to replace his compressor due to bearing failure. Now I wonder if these two issues are related.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Our ac's run all day here in Florida. I've charged these about every oil change 2500 miles. It's like putting ac on your lawn mower it draws a lot of power so there is a noticible decrease in performance.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,822 Times in 2,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Taxi dave View Post
    Our ac's run all day here in Florida. I've charged these about every oil change 2500 miles.
    Do you notice if you lose any refrigerant? Who does this service - one of your mechanics or do you take it to a shop licensed for AC work?

Quote Originally Posted by Taxi dave View Post
    It's like putting ac on your lawn mower it draws a lot of power so there is a noticible decrease in performance.
    I understand that the AC load on our little engines will be more noticeable. What I find interesting is adrew said once his refrigerant was charged it no longer cycled on & off. When using mine, I notice the compressor will activate & deactivate a couple times a minute (not that I timed it - it just seems to cycle on & off a lot.)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Cycling on and off is normal operation for A/C compressors. If its not cycling on and off it isn't able to keep up with how cold you want to keep the cabin.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah, once it cools the cabin down it is normal for it to start cycling the compressor off and on. Ours was cycling it every few seconds when it was still hot in the car, even with the temperature on full cold (61°), the fan on high, and with it set to recirculate. When it was cycling too frequently, the engine would bog and stumble when the compressor was re-engaged, so that was my guess as to why the taxi Mirage might be stalling. (It takes more effort to restart a compressor that has just shut off -- for example, if you try to turn on a window A/C unit immediately after turning it off, it will usually pop the circuit breaker)

After the recharge, if it is 95-100°F outside and hot in the car, the compressor will run continuously, with the underhood fan shifting to high speed. The A/C is much more effective but still not nearly as cold as the system in my other car, a Yaris.

I read on here that someone else's car was slightly undercharged from the factory, so might be worth getting yours checked out if you feel it is cycling too often or not cold enough. I would just go to an independent shop because the Mitsubishi dealer "will not be able to find any leaks" and will charge you $120 to look at it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to adrew For This Useful Post:

fc321 (06-01-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I agree. The AC compressor on my mirage cycles on for 5 seconds then off 5 seconds. I bet the clutch engages the compressor 8-12 times a minute in my mirage, it's crazy. Every car I've ever owned would cycle on for 20-40 seconds then off 10-20 seconds then back on even when in the lowest fan speed. I need to get my freon level checked, this compressor is going to explode the clutch assembly doing 3k rpms cycling 8-12 times a minute

2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)