Thread: 2017 Mirage GT (CVT) first drive review: Green Car Reports

2017 Mirage GT (CVT) first drive review: Green Car Reports

Name:  gcr-mirage.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  83.2 KB

Here's the first U.S. "professional" auto reviewer's take on the revised Mirage.

I see Mitsu still hasn't learned their lesson: they should not be loaning Mirage CVT's to auto writers.

Overall:

- styling is better
    - interior is nicer
    - CVT is still "sluggish", engine "drones"
    - suspension is still mushy

The 2017 model-year upgrades add a bit more polish to the Mirage, but the story is still the same.

The Mirage boasts impressive fuel economy and technology at a low price, but doesn’t give drivers too much else.

Read the full story:
    http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...ck-first-drive

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

flatbroke (05-24-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mitsu is still the king of the experts hate it, real people looking for value love it.

This is true.

Though they are not helping themselves with the vehicles they typically loan out to the experts.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    The electric power steering conveys the bare minimum of information, and feels artificially heavy.
    So this is opposite from 2015 (?) or reviewers preference.

BTW on 2015 steering is a little bit more communicative after greasing strut top bearings. Not that it is worth while to remove the struts for just that.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

I thought that was an odd comment as well.

The 2014's I drove had ridiculously LIGHT steering. Not heavy. That much of a change in 3 model years?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Finally a review for the 2017, of course i'm being a little biased but I love my little car

It's definitely the best looking trim. (Speaking of which... you need to post a pic of yours in the garage!)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    I thought that was an odd comment as well.

The 2014's I drove had ridiculously LIGHT steering. Not heavy. That much of a change in 3 model years?
    I have a 2014 Mirage. I came from a 2012 Nissan versa sedan. Believe it or not, the steering is significantly heavier on the mirage than it is on the Nissan versa! That car you can steer with your pinky finger. Crazy light steering.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to palebeachbum For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (06-08-2016)

That's really surprising about the Versa. I described the '14 Mirage's steering to someone as "one finger"!

I wonder if "city cars" in general come with lighter steering.

EDIT: I drove a 2004 Smart Fortwo diesel recently (first time trying a Smart), which has manual steering. It was pretty light, but the engine's over the back wheels in that car.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I suspect most run-of-the-mill subcompact economy cars have light steering. Back in the day, I had a 1997 Mercury Tracer wagon, 1996 Hyundai Accent 3-dr, and 1990 Plymouth Sundance 5-door. They all had very light steering. I prefer steering to be weighted pretty heavily, but that only seems to be in sporty cars and European cars. I owned a couple of older Volvos and those had very heavy steering. I miss that feeling, but it's not a deal breaker. Heavy steering is definitely more engaging though.