Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What would get better fuel economy/mileage: Prius C or Mirage?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Flange View Post
    Does anybody know how to quantify the impact of the additional weight of the hybrid equipment on tyres and suspension wear and tear ? Also is anybody in a position to comment on the relative handling of say a Prius and a Mirage ?
    I own a 2004 Prius, and my car before that was a 2003 Matrix. They're essentially the same size car, but the Prius is a hybrid. The Matrix weighed in at 2750 lbs and the Prius weighs in at 2900. The hybrid weight penalty is really very minimal. The battery in the Prius only weighs 70 lbs. It has essentially zero effect on suspension and tire wear.

As for handling, the Prius is probably pretty Mirage like. I haven't driven a Mirage yet, but the Prius is setup for a comfy ride. Its certainly no handling machine. I personally installed a beefier rear sway bar on mine to tighten things up, but keep the soft springs for the nice ride since its a daily driver, not an autocross car. A friend of mine does have a set of eibach springs on his and it does stiffen things up nicely though.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I've been reading on prius chat about the C, It is not that remarkable on the highway. Pulsing and glinding in the city is its strong suit. 50-60 mpgs seem to be the range in the city. One guy on utube pulled 69mpg. Also a guy got $4,000 dollars knocked off a 2012. I wonder how much U.S. dealers are going to let a mirage go for.
    Last edited by kalifornia; 06-26-2013 at 03:48 PM.

Country
    New Zealand
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    I own a 2004 Prius, and my car before that was a 2003 Matrix. They're essentially the same size car, but the Prius is a hybrid. The Matrix weighed in at 2750 lbs and the Prius weighs in at 2900. The hybrid weight penalty is really very minimal. The battery in the Prius only weighs 70 lbs. It has essentially zero effect on suspension and tire wear.
    Wow, that's a remarkably small difference in weight. Impressive engineering on Toyota's part. How's the battery after nine years?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    No issues at all, and you don't really hear about issues. Last I read, warranty work for Toyota hybrid battery problems was like 1/10th of a percent of the vehicles sold. Toyota has done a wonderful job with their battery quality and the battery management system (the computer that takes care of the batteries).
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Someone noted my comment that driving a Prius is fun - in a nerdy, video game kind of way.

So, given that, which would be more entertaining to drive: a Prius C, or a Mirage with a detailed fuel economy display (like a ScanGauge/UltraGauge)?

As it turns out, I just had the chance to drive a Prius (not the C) this week, so I've refreshed my memory. And honestly, if my choice was between a 5-speed Mirage or a Prius C (which is CVT only), I honestly think I would call it a draw. But if I had to choose a CVT Mirage vs CVT Prius C, I'd pick the Prius C.

On the other hand, if I had to actually buy one of the cars to settle the debate, I'd pick a Mirage because it's a better value in the long run (eg. total cost of ownership).

Care to comment, daox? Your regular cars are a Prius and a small 5-speed with a ScanGauge.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Daox, Also I read your thread in ecomod about the stop/go d.i.y. I have a feeling alot of what would be needed to add the feature in a non equipped mirage may already be installed like Metro mentioned. What do you think?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If I were to buy new I'd probably go with the Mirage with the 5 speed. The value is just crazy good and in the really rough comparison I did the C just takes way too long to pay for itself. However, a few years down the road when you can find both cars used I might change my mind.

My start/stop thing (which I never did complete) is a nice idea. I really do LOVE that feature on the Prius. It makes in town P&G so rediculously easy. That being said, we'll just have to see how much of the goodies they actually put into the car that we get in the US.

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    From flange
    Taken to it's logical extreme, surely the most economical and in fact greenest car would be something built as light as possible and powered by a simple two stroke engine of modern design, and in deference to the "average" driver a simple to operate CVT transmission ?
    I have just that maybe not the most modern though
    625 kg 3cylinder 2 stroke 539cc oil injection mid mount engine

Country
    New Zealand
    Thanks
    Hmmm, not sure if we would call that venerable engine a "modern design" but the principal is right. Out of curiosity how economical is it ? That came from the same era as the nifty Suzuki GXC coupe (spiritual ancestor to my 2010 Alto) which in one of it's iterations used a 539cc two stroke triple but as I recall they weren't all that economical, nor were they very clean running. Suzuki also had a 550 inline triple two stroke in one of their 1970s motorbikes, maybe a bit of commonality there ? The GT550 was a lovely bike to ride, or rather should I say the engine had very nice characteristics. The bike itself was pretty heavy but very stable and smooth as silk

By "a simple two stroke engine of modern design" I was thinking of the likes of the two stroke SR50 scooter that Aprilia makes which when fitted with their fuel injected Di-Tec engine in unrestricted form is reputedly good for well over 100km/hr and is very clean burning. The same company also makes an excellent road going 125 sports bike which is good for over 30bhp. Put this sort of tech into a 500cc two stroke and we could have a very light, very simple (read cheap and clean to make) motor which could power a similarly light (cheap and clean to make) car which may well be a far greener and more economical option than the complex and heavy route which most manufacturers are following currently.

Maybe.

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Not real modern I know, I can get a fuel injection system to fit it if I want. I have done a basic economy test of 6.2l/100klm and that was in a slightly bigger and heaver van with a worn out engine that only got home on two cylinders ( As it broke a reed valve petal). So I would expect a lot better with this smaller lighter van with a good running engine. The motor does not make much if any smoke with the modern oils coupled with the oil injection system. I do have a later block that the factory had the cylinder oil injection deleted this was done to reduce the emissions even more.

Those Aprilia motors sound great I will look into them for interest.