Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What would get better fuel economy/mileage: Prius C or Mirage?

Country
    New Zealand
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    First, apologies to other forum members for raving on a bit, but this crap interests me. Two strokes appeal and i feel that they have had a bit of an unfair rap from the green mafia.

Ah so that Suzuki van is as per your avatar ? Haven't seen that model over this side of the ditch. Currently Suzuki do have what looks like a rather larger van powered by a 1600 (think) four stroke.

Is the fuel injection system you mention a genuine Suzuki item ? Fuel injecting two strokes has been a bit of a bear for manufacturers, just ask Cagiva who blew several king's ransoms on their 500GP race bike trying to get the fuel injection system right - seems as though getting good consistent throttle response was very difficult. The Aprilia Di-Tec is the only really successful volume produced injected two stroke engine that I'm aware of outside of the diesel truck and marine spheres. I think they use some sort of compressor to blow the air through the motor (rather than crankcase compression I guess) and if indeed this is how it works, this could separate bottom end lubrication from the combustion charge thereby solving the problem of two stroke oil being burnt into the atmosphere. Mind you, even with a conventional crank case compressed two stroke the qualities of modern oils and the high compression ratios available mean that exhaust emissions needn't be all that dirty anyway. I believe that the lifetime consumption of oil in a modern two stroke is rather less than that of an equivalent four stroke, particularly when talking about high performance motors. Factor in the significantly less energy input during the manufacturing, lifetime maintaining, and end of life disposal and the humble two stroke just might be a green hero rather than the villain that it's made out to be.

Cheers
    Flange

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Yes my apologies also for the off topic banter. Yes it is as per my avatar. This model Suzuki carry is very hard to find here I have only seen 2 of them and they were for sale so I bought them when they were available one from Hobart Tasmania there other in Toowoomba west of Brisbane Queensland. I also have a ute version.

I did find an after market 2 stroke fuel injection system on the net. I know that some diesel locomotives that have two stroke engines have separate crankcase oil and they have a turbo or supercharger to push the air in through valves like a 4 stroke.

I think the two stroke is not as bad as often made out to be. And there is no oil filter changes and waste and no old oil to dispose of either.

I will be doing some mods to the engine that will go into the van. I know of a bloke that has been getting around the 150 bhp out of one of these motors that's fitted in a Suzuki lj50 4wd he kept breaking rear axels.

Cheers Jamie

Country
    New Zealand
    Thanks
    Crikey, three of them - does that make you an enthusiast, or a sucker for punishment? ;-) I had a very pleasant week at Tallegalla, not far from Toowoomba a couple of years ago, just after the big floods they had through there. Lovely spot. Where abouts in Oz are you based?

Certainly that is not a motor I would have thought of as the basis for a 300bhp per litre project, that's very serious horsepower from a normally aspirated unit. We are often surprised by finding that sort of potential in what are generally considered to be humble units. I have read a few accounts of some pretty wild machines being built in Japan based on various Kei cars so maybe the manufacturers treat that market a bit more seriously than we would understand in the West. Was the LJ50 used for offroad competition, or was it just one of these "let's do it for fun" projects ?

A friend built a V3 750 two stroke race bike engine a few years back. We were never able to get a reliable bhp reading on that because the power came on with such a bang that we couldn't prevent the rear wheel from breaking traction on the dyno drum but that seemed to be making about 170 at the wheel, probably 180+ at the crank so that's only a bit over 200 per litre, albeit with very little development after the initial build. He's now working on a V6 750 which on paper should be good for 300 at the crank, that's 400 per litre but to make that sort of power needs pretty good cylinder design and of course very good expansion chambers which will be a challenge to package into a viable bike frame.

Cheers
    Flange

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Yes three of them I think I have been sucked in. The LJ50 was more of the let's have some fun projects the engine was taken out to about 700cc with triple bike carbs and expansion chamber lots of porting and moded crank etc. The van would be awesome with that engine I do want some more power though and will mainly go for better economy. The van is under restoration at this time. I am based in Tasmania though in Brisbane now for some work till the end of the year.