Thread: What happens if I exceed weight?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

What happens if I exceed weight?

I have 2015 mirage es cvt and loading info says maximum 827 lbs and I'm riding a big friends 3 x 220 lb rear passenger (quite uncomfortable seating for overweight passenger) and 150 lbs driver (me) and passanger, and 250 lbs of cargo. So the payload will be around 1210 lbs I think, and the car has no problems with the road trip.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Hello Sheesh, and welcome to the forum. I'm no expert on loading but if the maximum weight is exceeded I would expect problems with braking, among other things.

Hopefully someone with more insight can chime in with advice. The best I can offer is don't overload your little economy car.

Best wishes.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I put way too much soil and gravel in the back of my Outlander. I think this ruined the rear struts and mounts. Some time later, it was rockn' and rollin' on the highway so I checked things out. The gas "charge" leaked out of the struts and the rubber stops on the mounts were compressed and hardened.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheesh View Post
    I have 2015 mirage es cvt and loading info says maximum 827 lbs and I'm riding a big friends 3 x 220 lb rear passenger (quite uncomfortable seating for overweight passenger) and 150 lbs driver (me) and passanger, and 250 lbs of cargo. So the payload will be around 1210 lbs I think, and the car has no problems with the road trip.
    As long as you take it EASY you shouldn't have any issues. Inflate the tires to their maximum rated pressure (but not over) and don't drive over 60 mph. Be aware that braking and handling will be adversely affected. Be a hyper defensive driver. In other words use common sense. BTW, welcome to the forum. Post a pic or two when you can.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (07-10-2016),Daox (05-31-2016)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Be aware also that knowingly operating an overloaded vehicle (exceeding gvwr) is highly illegal and no matter how defensively you drive if there's an accident you are criminally liable for damages, injuries and deaths.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IchabodCrane For This Useful Post:

flatbroke (05-29-2016),inuvik (05-29-2016),poorman1 (05-30-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I wouldn't do it with that much weight.

You are trying to carry three 200+ lb people in the back seat (!) and two in the front? Plus a bunch of luggage? No way.

If we load ours up with the three of us (150 lbs each) and some luggage (maybe 75 lbs) the rear end will sag and hit into the bump stops on minor bumps and undulations. On bigger ones that would be no issue in another car, it will crash into the bump stops and the person in the back seat will catch air. It is fine on a glass-smooth interstate (just feels slower) but as soon as you get on medium/bad surface streets it is quite uncomfortable.

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I saw a mirage once with 4 overweight people and it was bottomed out. I would recommend going over the weight limit. But I remember reading somewhere that it was 937 lbs. Brb gonna look in my owner's manual.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    Puerto Rico
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    If you planned on shoving 1200lb of stuff into a mirage, you shouldnt have gotten a mirage lol. Its bad enough to turn and brake with just my 220lb self, cant imagine an extra 1000lb, is this your first car?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Caramanos2000 For This Useful Post:

Eggman (07-10-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    As long as you take it EASY you shouldn't have any issues. Inflate the tires to their maximum rated pressure (but not over) and don't drive over 60 mph. Be aware that braking and handling will be adversely affected. Be a hyper defensive driver. In other words use common sense. BTW, welcome to the forum. Post a pic or two when you can.
    Exactly. Follow the above advice, and you'll be fine.
    I've had 5 200+ people in my car before, and if you take your time and be over cautious it'll be OK. What does bother me is you said 'road trip.' If you're going longer than 50 miles or so, then maybe I'd think twice. For an every so often affair, this behavior is fine. If you think this will happen often, I'd be looking for a larger vehicle. No one buys a vehicle to forsee every instance that may occur, and props to you for asking. Just be safe and over think every move.

(blank signature)