Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: An idea for an external CVT cooler

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Teasmade View Post
    I largely agree with your sentiments, Man114 - Apart from the drivetrain warranty - 3 years in the UK is all we get, I'm afraid.

I gather Euro-spec Jukes may have a air-fluid cooler as well as the 'Beehive' on the end of the gearbox. I'll see if I can get to peer under their bonnet to confirm - as that might represent a bolt-on solution.
    Any updates on if this would work or if there is any benefit? I keep an eye on my engine coolant temps here in Texas and they seem consistent around 195F to 205F even sitting in traffic on a hot day, but I have no way to monitor CVT temps. It does look like the 4 port cooler solution for overheating Nissan CVTs would be a bolt on fit for the Mirage.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by whiskthecat@gmail.com View Post
    Any updates on if this would work or if there is any benefit? I keep an eye on my engine coolant temps here in Texas and they seem consistent around 195F to 205F even sitting in traffic on a hot day, but I have no way to monitor CVT temps. It does look like the 4 port cooler solution for overheating Nissan CVTs would be a bolt on fit for the Mirage.
    Hello whiskthecat@gmail.com, and welcome to the forum.

What problem are you trying to solve with this? The Mirage CVT is designed with a heat exchanger with engine coolant, which would mean that it is designed to operate best at those temperatures. Excess heat would be transferred through the CVT heat exchanger, into engine coolant, and dumped out the main radiator, which is already pretty big for this drivetrain. Unless there is a documented history of a CVT exceeding design operating temperatures, adding another heat exchanger is not only an economic waste but introduces more complexity and another potential point of failure.

What model year Mirage do you have? Do you have any warranty left on your Mirage? If so, why jeopardize it?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    adding another heat exchanger is not only an economic waste but introduces more complexity and another potential point of failure.

What model year Mirage do you have? Do you have any warranty left on your Mirage? If so, why jeopardize it?
    All valid points, which is why I led with asking if there was any benefit. Basically looking for data like the previous posters in this thread if anyone has come across problems in hot climates. I am approaching 30k so about the time to at least change the CVT fluid if not the filters as well which is what got me thinking about it in the first place.

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Here's a post from the Aisin AMR500 thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Install a Nissan cvt cooler, they have 2 extra fittings which flow cvt fluid. Run them to an external air to fluid cooler. Attachment 11867 Pic is just an example. I don't know exactly which one would fit, there are 2 sets of bolt holes on the cvt for different coolers. I'm sure there is a cooler available that would fit and work well.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I'm interested in this topic. My CVT has been acting up a little after 275,000kms

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 36.9 mpg (US) ... 15.7 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp)

Have you changed both of your filters lately? I was hoping you were gonna go further than ours did.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Tyrelirwin (12-03-2018)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Have you changed both of your filters lately?
    *Blank Stare* Where do I source new filters from, and how do I access them?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 36.9 mpg (US) ... 15.7 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp)

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrelirwin View Post
    *Blank Stare* Where do I source new filters from, and how do I access them?
    Rockauto has been the best place for me.
    https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/....2l+l3,3309833
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marklovski View Post
    Rockauto has been the best place for me.
    https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/....2l+l3,3309833
    Under "Transmission-Auto" all I get for options is

Transmission-Automatic
    Manual Shaft Repair Sleeve
    Manual Shaft Seal

You can get them from the dealer. It might take them a while to look it up because they'd rather argue and say they don't have any filter in the cvt. I posted part numbers on one of the failed cvt threads. I'll see if I can find them .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)