Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Mitsubishi Mirage driving in snow (how does it handle?)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    We just had snow here in northern Alabama. My previous vehicles have all been small pickups so I'm not really a good judge of snow worthiness since my truck was terrible in snow. Anyway the Mirage was great. I was serving back and forth on snow on purpose and I could barely get it to slide. If I would've been in my truck it would be like ice skating.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 automatic: 39.7 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    If I would've been in my truck it would be like ice skating.
    On the other hand, a RWD pickup probably has an even tighter turning radius than the mirage on an icy road! I grew up with an F-150, rwd, no locking diff - the best way to avoid getting stuck was to take a run at things and use the momentum. Not exactly the safest, when other cars are around. I suppose those that advocate for awd/4wd think the same about fwd, but I have no desire to go back to a rwd vehicle without a locking diff or at least traction control. And yet, I have found I rarely if ever require 4wd if I am staying on the roads.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoehead View Post
    On the other hand, a RWD pickup probably has an even tighter turning radius than the mirage on an icy road! I grew up with an F-150, rwd, no locking diff - the best way to avoid getting stuck was to take a run at things and use the momentum. Not exactly the safest, when other cars are around. I suppose those that advocate for awd/4wd think the same about fwd, but I have no desire to go back to a rwd vehicle without a locking diff or at least traction control. And yet, I have found I rarely if ever require 4wd if I am staying on the roads.
    I've owned a small pickup my whole life. I finally got tired of paying for gas. Even the smallest trucks in the US have gotten bigger over the years. If someone would make a small, cheap aerodynamic truck that got 30 mpg I'd buy it. It doesn't need to haul anything heavy, just having a truck bed is great for carrying light stuff.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 automatic: 39.7 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Do you guys think the new L200 hybrid would make it to the us?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    ^ Doubt it. If the L2 has not made it here, it probably wont. Might have emissions and safety issues.

I have driven my stepfather's (2011/12?) L2 turbo diesel back in the Philippines and I must say that I LOVED the ride. The turbodiesel had enough (a little more wouldnt have hurt) usable power and torque, the auto tranny was responsive and smooth.

I would probably buy a 4x4 diesel if it ever came here. 3-5 inch lift, all-terrain tires, PIAA rectangle 4" lights, and call it a day.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    first time driving in snow and it worked dam well passed 2 crashes and one prelude that was stuck going uphill. i'm sure the tires can be partially thanked does anyone know the official weight distribution of the mirage?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 54.7 mpg (US) ... 23.3 km/L ... 4.3 L/100 km ... 65.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IwantaMirage View Post
    Welcome Ichabod,
    Have you driven in any snow? How did it perform?
    I have in fact, a lot of it. We have had several noteable storms since I bought the car.
    Due to the winter being almost over I did not get snow tires but am running on the stock all-seasons and have not had any issues. The last storm dropped about 8" of heavy wet snow on us leaving the roads covered with deep rutted slush which the car handled very well. I did lose a little fuel economy due to the heavy push but never once lost traction or felt unsure.
    The narrow tires are able to cut through snow and slush to find solid ground, while the judicious delivery of power doesn't readily break traction by spinning the tires.
    This makes the car very even tempered and non abrupt which is perfect for winter driving.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    One of the pizza chains in our town bought a Mirage in each color for use as delivery vehicles.

The pizza shop owner was there when we were looking at his cars and helped sell them to us. Nothing but praise about the gas mileage, and the fact that the "skinny" tires on the car did great in the snow. He indicated that they never had one stuck all winter, and that was a first for any of his delivery vehicles.
    Last edited by MetroMPG; 11-21-2014 at 01:51 PM. Reason: (copied/shortened this post from another thread)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Looking forward to more inclement weather to test the limits of this car.

Winter driving impressions at 4500 miles:

- Starts easily. Coldest morning has been 17 degrees with no issue.
    - Good heater. On cold mornings during a warm-up, I leave it on "recirc" and it heats up nicely.
    - Front/rear wipers need an upgrade. When there's ice, the factory wiper blade holder pivot points will freeze causing non-contact areas with the glass.
    - Rear washer runs onto hatch glass in a stream - would rather it spray instead.
    - As with many new cars, lack of rain gutter may cause snow or water to get into cabin when opening door.
    - Anti-lock brakes work well on slippery roads and you'll hear the activation of them with no problem.
    - A thick slush ridge in the road is to be avoided unless you're a thrill seeker.
    - Enough ground clearance for the taller slush ridges and fender-bergs laying in the road.
    - Strong side winds (>35 or so) will keep you alert while driving, but the car isn't going anywhere.
    - With the factory alloy wheels and fuel saving tires, it goes right through the slippery snow! Add to that the CVT and a conservative foot, this is an impressive car in the snow! It's just enough of a slug that it sticks very well. (Of course if you plant the accelerator it will immediately break loose.)

My litmus test is this very short, steep hill where you are unable to get a running start at it. Coming off the main road at a 90 degree means you are also turning initially so you have to go slow or you'll be in the opposing lane. The other day, I watched a few other cars get partially up this little pain in the rump hill, only to to slide helplessly back down. (a Camry, a Corolla, and a Dodge Calibur.) Each car had tires with decent tread - the Camry had snow tires for sure. On this hill, the Mirage did break traction twice but quickly regained a foothold and up we went nearly seamlessly. Maybe the "snowmobile clutch" is well suited for the rigors of winter!

Looking forward to more inclement weather to test the limits of this car.

~CrazyJerry

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CrazyJerry For This Useful Post:

beerbelly58 (11-21-2014),ThreePot (11-23-2014)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Thanks for the review Jerry!

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)