Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommended Oil change intervals

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have 5600 miles after 1 year and the wrench icon just lit up. Would it be okay just to wait until 7500 miles? I will probably have that many miles within 3 months. So it will be 1 year and 3 months before the first oil change

2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Member BillThompsonMirage-ES-CVT's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    I have 5600 miles after 1 year and the wrench icon just lit up. Would it be okay just to wait until 7500 miles? I will probably have that many miles within 3 months. So it will be 1 year and 3 months before the first oil change
    I would change oil at 12 months or 7,500 miles, whichever comes first. Personally, I change at 9 months and miles is about 3,000 miles. Not many miles on odometer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.4 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BillThompsonMirage-ES-CVT For This Useful Post:

fc321 (02-10-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    If it's been a year then I would change it regardless of mileage.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

fc321 (02-10-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    I think you are fine waiting until 7,500. That is what the manual recommends unless you are using your car for what they call 'severe service', and it should be what your OCI warning is set to from the factory. Truth be told, it shouldn't be coming on at 5,600 miles. Some cars actually use other parameters like fuel consumption to determine the OCI. So the harder you drive the car, the more fuel you use, and the shorter the OCI becomes. But I don't believe Mirages have this capability.

The OCI can be set to some other mileage, but it is a PITA and doesn't always stay where you put it. I had my dealership try to set mine to 5,000 miles twice and they failed both times. Another strange thing about the maintenance indicator on these cars is that it doesn't actually reset to the specified OCI. If your OCI is 7,500 miles and you let the car go to 7,800 miles, the new OCI upon resetting the system will be 7,200 miles (7,500-300). It is a strange system.

Engines run much, much cleaner than in the old "Every 3,000 Miles" days. Plus, oils are much, much better than they were even ten years ago. Changing your oil at any less than 5,000 miles with these cars is, in my opinion, a complete waste of money.

As a matter of fact, the 7,500 figure is probably itself very conservative and nothing more than an attempt by Mitsubishi to minimize and mitigate powertrain warranty claims. This would go a long ways towards explaining why the OCI in some European countries is so much longer...they do not have the 100k Powertrain Warranty there.
    Last edited by Cobrajet; 02-10-2017 at 09:05 AM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

2of9 (02-10-2017),fc321 (02-12-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post

Engines run much, much cleaner than in the old "Every 3,000 Miles" days. Plus, oils are much, much better than they were even ten years ago. Changing your oil at any less than 5,000 miles with these cars,in my opinion, complete waste of money.
    I disagree and think 7k is much to long, especially on a high winding engine without a roller cam like the stick mailbox mirages. But that's just my opinion as well.

Edit: it's early and I clearly read your post wrong somehow so ignore my obvious number mixup. -I shoot for around 5k but usually do it earlier because I start feeling guilty and its cheap enough

Out of curiosity, how and or why do you say engines run cleaner? Obviously by emissions standpoint they do, or are you suggesting less contaminants end up in the oil somehow due to a more complete combustion?
    Last edited by MightyMirageMpg; 02-10-2017 at 01:21 PM.

We change the oil on the cars here basically every month at 6000kms. They could go much longer I'm sure but it's not my call or money. The one car that only sees highway gets changed at 12000kms. I was using mobil 1 but am trying some cheaper synthetic oil now that is 1/3 the price of mobil.
    On my personal vehicle I'm terrible, I changed my oil once in the 2 years and 35000kms I've had it for. And use the cheapest oil I can find. I should do an oil analysis on it lol

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Portugal
    Thanks
    Portugal has the same 20k kms or 12 months interval. On my mx5 i changed every 9k kms, it is so cheap i didn't even mind. (27€ oil + filter)
    Space Star 1.2 2017 =>

Mazda MX-5 1990 =>

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMirageMpg View Post
    I disagree and think 7k is much to long, especially on a high winding engine without a roller cam like the stick mailbox mirages. But that's just my opinion as well.

Edit: it's early and I clearly read your post wrong somehow so ignore my obvious number mixup. -I shoot for around 5k but usually do it earlier because I start feeling guilty and its cheap enough

Out of curiosity, how and or why do you say engines run cleaner? Obviously by emissions standpoint they do, or are you suggesting less contaminants end up in the oil somehow due to a more complete combustion?
    That, and the fuel we use nowadays is better. Cleaner. More pure. Also, engines have better tolerances and are made of better materials than they were in the 4-barrel carburetor days. People have had Blackstone look at their oil on this forum at various intervals, and Blackstone usually comes to the same conclusions: we can just let our oil go a lot longer than 5k nowadays.

Seventy-five hundred miles is a pretty safe OCI for these cars. Though I know it seems neglectful for us old-school DIYers!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

fc321 (02-12-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    That, and the fuel we use nowadays is better. Cleaner. More pure. Also, engines have better tolerances and are made of better materials than they were in the 4-barrel carburetor days. People have had Blackstone look at their oil on this forum at various intervals, and Blackstone usually comes to the same conclusions: we can just let our oil go a lot longer than 5k nowadays.

Seventy-five hundred miles is a pretty safe OCI for these cars. Though I know it seems neglectful for us old-school DIYers!
    I was unaware anyone sent oil out. I seen one guy say he was but never seen the results posted. I will still change mine sooner, because I think my car probably falls borderline to extreme use, but its good to know I could go longer if desired.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks everyone for your input. Mine is definitely not severe conditions, very little stop and go driving and car always gets driven at least once every 2 days or every 3 days max.

My big concern was that I bought the 2015 model and the dealer told me that the car had been sitting on the dealer lot for over 1 year so I was thinking about how that would add to the calculations.

I already have the jug of Mobil 1 and WIx filter and a fumoto valve. The only reason I dont want to do the oil change before 7500 is that it will mess up my calculations. It would be easier to just do service at 7500 then 15000 and so forth. My old car was a Ford Fiesta and that one called for oil changes every 10k miles. The maintenance schedule was easy to follow and remember

2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)