Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommended Oil change intervals

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Am I supposed to change the drain plug and gasket every time? My oil seems to be leaking slightly creating a blob right around the plug.

Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Marklovski View Post
    Am I supposed to change the drain plug and gasket every time? My oil seems to be leaking slightly creating a blob right around the plug.
    Just the crush washer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Marklovski (05-22-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Just the crush washer
    +1

Check out this thread for an example washer that will fix your dripping issue.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Marklovski (05-22-2018)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MiMi View Post
    Then there is Canada. Regular maintenance schedule is 8000 km (5000 miles) or 5 months, and severe schedule is 6000 km (4000 miles) or 3 months. I'm supposed to have 50% more oil changes than my neighbours in Washington State, and 2.5 times more than Germany. I can see Washington State from my house!
    The Canadian 2018 maintenance guide book still recommends these numbers (normal service 8KM/5m or severe service 6KM/3m).

I drive less than 1,000KM (621 miles) per month (majority is commute to work, one-way 17KM or about 10.5 miles) and would've liked a 6 month change as it just flows better with the 12 month yearly cycle, one oil change in spring and one in fall. Sure the Mirage has a small sump capacity, but at 1.2L outputting 78HP for a specific output of 65HP/L it's not exactly a stressed design, there's no turbocharger and no direct injection. Just complaining, don't mind me.
    2018 Mirage

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Cleartec View Post
    believe it or not, here in my country oil change is done every 12500 miles or 1 year for my space star. I don't know why there is such a big difference?
    I think I know why. I believe you guy's in Europe have a very short warranty period compared to here. We have 10 year 160000km (100000mile) warranty. What is it there, around 1/2 that? They only want the car to last til the warranty. But some will argue it's cause you have inferior quality oil in Europe.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    According to the official Mitsubishi Motors maintenance protocol for this car, under normal conditions the oil and filter are to be changed yearly or every 20 000km, whatever comes first.

The Mitsu importer for Europe calculates differently in terms of warranty period and some other stuff than Mitsubishi themselves, and to certain markets Mitsubishi exports and sells cars on their own.
    Last edited by foama; 09-04-2018 at 02:38 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    They only want the car to last til the warranty. But some will argue it's cause you have inferior quality oil in Europe.
    Europe is recommending 12,500 miles oil change intervals for the Mirage. U.S. is 7,500 miles, and Canada is 5,000 miles. That might make one assume Europe has better oil quality. If oil changes were solely based on getting through the warranty period, I would find that pretty lame. It would be interesting to know the real reason for the drastic oil change differences throughout the world market (climate conditions, oil quality, or length of warranty offered)?

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    There is a rather large lubricant manufacturer in a town at bicycle distance. I talked to one of the engineers who explained to me, they must strictly observe EU and other standards. If a lubricant they made would not meet its designated standards during its entire scheduled life in the engine, they would be swept off the market in no time!

I asked about motor oil life, and he replied it depends on many factors, particularly temperatures and combustion residues in the engine. I told him what oil temperatures I noted in this car, and asked him how long he would expect an oil to last under those conditions. He answered it would most probably be good for at least 50 000km under normal conditions, but I should stick to scheduled maintenance intervals.

He added that HC (hydro crack) oils are officially called semi-synthetic in Europe, but are called synthetic in other markets inclucing the Americas.
    Only genuine 100% synthetic oils are legally allowed to be called synthetic in Europe. Never the less, how a manufacturer make his oils compliant is his affair. Synthetic or not, it must be up to the claimed standards, but it is practically impossible to make a long lasting ILSAC GF-5 compliant oil without a fully synthetic base.

Mitsubishi recommends the motor oil in our cars to be at least ILSAC GF-4. I use the better GF-5 compliant version which costs just as much. A container of 5 L starts at about €25.-, being about $4.50 per litre.
    Last edited by foama; 09-05-2018 at 03:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by craigq View Post
    The Canadian 2018 maintenance guide book still recommends these numbers (normal service 8KM/5m or severe service 6KM/3m).
    Yup. I just double checked that in our 2017. It looks like most of Canada has to follow the severe schedule for about 1/2 the year. Attachment 12514 It's already been 0C (32F) here overnight this week
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Yup. I just double checked that in our 2017. It looks like most of Canada has to follow the severe schedule for about 1/2 the year. It's already been 0C (32F) here overnight this week

I know how cold it can get in the canadian hills, but it freezes most of the time in winter here too...