Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Recommended Oil change intervals

Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    I know how cold it can get in the canadian hills, but it freezes most of the time in winter here too...
    Yes I learned that in elementary school. This is the the Canadian hills in June(aka summer) lol Attachment 12524snow and freezing temps happen whenever

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    And you're going camping. Sweet.

Wasn't this thread about oil changes?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Yeah I guess that was a little off topic

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,684 Times in 2,103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Yup. I just double checked that in our 2017. It looks like most of Canada has to follow the severe schedule for about 1/2 the year. Attachment 12514 It's already been 0C (32F) here overnight this week
    I double checked my own 2017 warranty & maintenance booklet, & I looked up the following below on line. The U.S. models exclude the last line of the schedule 1 in Canada.

Schedule 1
    Use Schedule 1 if you primarily operate your vehicle under any of these conditions;
    • Driving on dusty, rough, muddy or salt-spread roads
    • Towing or police, taxi or commercial operation
    • Extensive idling and /or low speed operation
    • Repeated short-trip operation at freezing temperatures
    • Extended use of brakes while driving
    • Driving in sandy areas
    • More than 50% operation in heavy city traffic during hot weather above 90°F (32°C)

That's it. I even checked the next page thinking the last line was cut off. There is no mention of day or night temperatures below freezing.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Fummins (09-06-2018)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    That last line is just a scam to get more money out of us Canadians

Edit: sorry getting a bit off-topic.
    Last edited by craigq; 09-05-2018 at 11:50 PM.
    2018 Mirage

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to craigq For This Useful Post:

Fummins (09-06-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,684 Times in 2,103 Posts
    There is a real difference between 12,500 miles/Europe, 7,500 miles/United States, & 5,000 miles/Canada. I don't see us being way off topics. What's the real reason for this difference? I have a hard time believing the Mirage engines are that different, or the oil quality is that different.

Europe has a mix of climates, too. One of my daughters now lives in Finland. Heck, even Wisconsin doesn't have reindeer. Ok, now maybe I am off topic!

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 667 Posts
    Yeah, there are areas in Europe with 40°C in summer, and a few areas with snow and ice all year round. In winter it can be -40°C in Finland and Lapland, and at the same time up to +25°C or more in southern parts, such as Krete or Sicily.

Here is the official European Mitsubishi Maintenance plan for the Mirage (Space Star).
    You can see the 20 000km intervals on the top of the table. Oil + filter change is at 20 000km intervals.
    In the owners manual they recommend 0W20 oil, up to current ILSAC standards, that is currently ILSAC GF-5.
    The workshop put "Mitsubishi Cleartec Diamond 0W20" in the engine, at every 20 000km, and that goes for entire Europe, regardless if your actual location is Greece or the Polar Circle.

PS: Dunno why the picture came twice, and can not get rid of it...
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by foama; 09-06-2018 at 09:17 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    There is a real difference between 12,500 miles/Europe, 7,500 miles/United States, & 5,000 miles/Canada. I don't see us being way off topics. What's the real reason for this difference? I have a hard time believing the Mirage engines are that different, or the oil quality is that different.

Europe has a mix of climates, too. One of my daughters now lives in Finland. Heck, even Wisconsin doesn't have reindeer. Ok, now maybe I am off topic!
    Here in the US and Canada we get the 10/100 powertrain warranty. Other countries do not, so the OCI is extended in these markets.

I consider 7,500 miles to be quite safe given today's cleaner burning engines and synthetic oils. Mitsubishi agrees, but wants it done every 7,500 miles here in exchange for the very generous powertrain warranty they include. I don't blame them.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Fummins (09-06-2018)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 667 Posts
    Maybe they just want to ensure a business volume for their dealers. Here 20 000km maintenance intervals are regarded as relatively frequent, while some manufacturers are up to 50 000km or one year, whatever comes first.
    At close to 20 000km the oil in my car is still transparent like a light honey.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

Loren (09-06-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I used to do about 8k mile or 1 year oil changes with synthetic oil. Been doing it since the late 90's. When my wife bought her 2006 MINI Cooper, they come factory filled with synthetic, and they have a computer that tells you when to change the oil. Her FIRST oil change came due right at 10k. The second oil change didn't happen for another 15k miles!

If modern synthetic oil is good enough for BMW to use (in a South American built Neon engine) for 10-15k miles... well, that's the day that I stopped worrying about it.

I change my oil in July. (my wife's birthday month, so I don't forget) I do all of the vehicles at once, do whatever maintenance they need, and it's done for the year. We never drive more than 8-10k in a year, anyway.

You may need to do more than that to maintain your warranty. But, if you're out of warranty, or if you're like me and just aren't worried about an oil-related failure on this engine... unless you're driving more than 12k miles in a year, I wouldn't give it a second thought. Change the oil annually. Check it monthly.

Simplify and add lightness.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

fc321 (03-04-2022)