Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuel Efficient 15-Inch Wheels and Tires

Senior Member Subcompact Culture's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nickels View Post
    35 12.5 on an 8" was perfect for me. Cant blow a bead even at 1 psi. Holds on real nice without beadlocks.

Chalked flat at 24psi, so I ran mine around 27 on the road, never had bad wear. 24-25 was a bit squirrelly.
    I just installed some 255/85R16 BFGoodrich KM3s on my Mitsubishi Pajero. I haven't had a chance to really see if they help with fuel economy, but I think they will.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Looks good. Don't forget you can air them up to 50 psi for a little extra coasting ability.

What the...

Those appear to be circumference values?!? A 23" tall tire would have a radius of 11.5"...and plugging that into a circumference formula I get 1829mm...which isn't even a pre-set value?!? Is that the way you are reading that?

You might be the first person who has ever tried changing that setting.
    You are using gross radius, whereas those values would be using Static Loaded Radius.
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Basic For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (07-31-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by flotownj View Post
    I purchased this exact set up recently. The OP is pretty spot on with the post. I do believe i may have lost a little more Fuel Economy on the interstate than he has.
    Attachment 15136
    And I am also having a very bad problem with a vibration. I got the hub centric rings and everything but there is something not right about 1 or 2 of the tires. I have took it back to discount time twice already. I'm going to take it back this weekend and leave it with them. I think I may have just got a bad tire or wheel. But they look great. After I get this vibration out I will be very happy. I have about 2,700 miles on them now.
    Double check you have the correct Hub Centric rings and that you are using the correct lug nuts for the wheels! Make sure they aren't over torquing them, as doing so could bend your hubs. Using an impact to put your lugs on will do this. They should be hand tightened, torqued in a star pattern to about halfway, then torqued the rest of the way... all with a hand torque wrench.

I had a couple Toyo Proxes t1r that were out of balance and had to be replaced when they were mounted new. I've used Mavis Discount several times and they've always done me good make sure the tires aren't expired and they will definitely replace a tire if it's out of balance.

Eventually I got some Toyos that were in good balance and I put about twenty thousand miles on them when two of them went out of balance again and it was the tires themselves. It's like the belts inside were breaking. I wasn't over or under on inflation and only driving on roadways.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    You are using gross radius, whereas those values would be using Static Loaded Radius.
    Hey man...where are you hiding when all of these good tire topics come along?!?

For those who don't remember... Basic is the resident tire engineer.

I never considered this so thanks for bringing it up...

SLR Static Loaded Radius is the radius from the wheel centre down to the ground, at reference load and pressure. The difference between unloaded radius and static loaded radius is called deflection. This value varies between 15-30% of the tire section height, depending on tire type.
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 07-31-2019 at 04:53 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HitShane View Post
    Double check you have the correct Hub Centric rings and that you are using the correct lug nuts for the wheels! Make sure they aren't over torquing them, as doing so could bend your hubs. Using an impact to put your lugs on will do this. They should be hand tightened, torqued in a star pattern to about halfway, then torqued the rest of the way... all with a hand torque wrench.

I had a couple Toyo Proxes t1r that were out of balance and had to be replaced when they were mounted new. I've used Mavis Discount several times and they've always done me good make sure the tires aren't expired and they will definitely replace a tire if it's out of balance.

Eventually I got some Toyos that were in good balance and I put about twenty thousand miles on them when two of them went out of balance again and it was the tires themselves. It's like the belts inside were breaking. I wasn't over or under on inflation and only driving on roadways.
    I am the only person that's ever installed the tires. I had them mount and balance them and I took them home and installed them. But this weekend I'm going to just hand it over to the shop.

The only thing that I didn't get that's the exact same as the OP was the hub centric rings. They are the right size and high quality aluminum but they are the only thing that's different. I feel 50/50 like it's either a bad tire or the rings..

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah we have good taste! Well I'm just a copy cat LOL
    I want to lower it some now. I'm looking at springs.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    I did the same thing as you. I carried my wheels/tires home and installed them myself. I like the service I get at Discount Tire, but I still prefer to bolt them on myself.

Here's an old post where I talked about the hub rings that I was using. Not sure this has anything to do with your issue. Just throwing it out there...

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...ll=1#post46037

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Hey man...where are you hiding when all of these good tire topics come along?!?

For those who don't remember... Basic is the resident tire engineer.

I never considered this so thanks for bringing it up...
    Not around as much as I should be since I don't have a Mirage anymore, but I still drop in and try and catch up when I can. I am always on the lookout for a clean '15 ES manual so I can get back on here full time!
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Basic For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (07-31-2019)

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My problem with tire shops is there's a possibility they will strip the lugs and bolts.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Senior Member Subcompact Culture's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marklovski View Post
    My problem with tire shops is there's a possibility they will strip the lugs and bolts.
    I really like Discount Tire, but they've done it to me three times. They've paid for it each time, however.