Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuel Efficient 15-Inch Wheels and Tires

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It's hard to get consistant numbers because there are always so many variables involved with driving.

At the end of the day, though, I expected that my MPG would go down. Even if it is lightweight and LRR, the wheel/tire combo I have put on is heavier and ~50% wider than stock. Of course it's going to take more effort to move than those crazy baby wheels they have on it from the factory.

At the end of the day, though, my main motivator for swapping out the wheels and tires was safety. I have no problem paying an extra 20% in fuel costs over the life of the car if it means I actually get the chance to outlive it Combined with the Daox sway bar, this car now drives and handles very predictably.

Speedbumps are still a mortal enemy, though.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PityOnU View Post
    It's hard to get consistant numbers because there are always so many variables involved with driving.

At the end of the day, though, I expected that my MPG would go down. Even if it is lightweight and LRR, the wheel/tire combo I have put on is heavier and ~50% wider than stock. Of course it's going to take more effort to move than those crazy baby wheels they have on it from the factory.

At the end of the day, though, my main motivator for swapping out the wheels and tires was safety. I have no problem paying an extra 20% in fuel costs over the life of the car if it means I actually get the chance to outlive it Combined with the Daox sway bar, this car now drives and handles very predictably.

Speedbumps are still a mortal enemy, though.
    Now's a great time to make a forum Garage entry!

Garage empty: add car

That way we'll all know what year Mirage you have, it's trim level, and what modifications you've done to it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    and ~50% wider than stock. Of course it's going to take more effort to move than those crazy baby wheels they have on it from the factory.
    Your 185/55r15 tires are 12.3% wider than 165/65r14 factory tires & 5.8% wider than 175/55r15 factory tires.

Using https://tiresize.com/comparison/
    Last edited by Mark; 09-19-2020 at 01:04 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

PityOnU (09-28-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Your 185/55r15 tires are 12.3% wider than 165/65r14 factory tires & 5.8% wider than 175/55r15 factory tires.

Using https://tiresize.com/comparison/
    Hmm... You're right. I guess it's just the rims that are much wider than stock. Strange how much tires can deform - taking some effort for me to get used to, mentally.

In either case, just wanted to post an update here on MPG. For reference, my car is a 2018 hatchback with the CVT.

Pottering around town (like, short round-trip drives within a mile or two of my home) nets me somewhere around 31-32MPG on average. Mind you, this is 35mph, barely-enough-time-for-the-engine-to-warm-up driving, so probably expected given that (to my understanding) the ECU will dump extra fuel into the engine to try and get it up to operational temperature faster when it is first being used.

As soon as I do any kind of freeway driving, my average shoots up to 41-42MPG. This is without me being too conservative with the gas pedal and keeping up with traffic within the range of 55-70mph.

So, overall, I'm happy. The car performs as advertised and swapping wheels/tires doesn't seem to affect things too much. I haven't encountered any rubbing from these tires as of yet, but it's not as though I'm taking the Mirage to track days, so don't take that as 100% certain, gospel truth.

Continually surprised as to how much torque steer there is on this car, though. Definitely pulls hard to the right under "hard acceleration" (as hard as you can in a Mirage, at least). Does anyone else experience this? I did have the alignment checked when I first got the car and everything was within factory spec. I do plan on having it checked again, though, now that the rear sway bar and new wheels are on. Never hurts to look, I suppose.

Thanks again all for these information dumps! Has helped me out a lot. Hope the extra testimony here is useful to any future people!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PityOnU For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (09-28-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I don't know if it was covered in this thread or not, but I've been eyeing these Konig Heliums on Discount Tire and was wondering what the next closest value in ETACS would be to compensate for the new circumference as apposed to stock?

Edit: looks like it's 1836mm?

Edit 2: What was Mitsubishi smoking when they set these tire sizes? Can anyone with a 2017 or newer Mirage confirm if the below values are the same as the 2014 & 2015? I'm about to go out and double check this. I really want to be as close as possible.

1748mm
    1784mm
    2015mm
    2026mm
    2066mm
    2073mm
    2082mm
    2124mm
    2155mm
    2185mm
    Last edited by precisionxt; 11-11-2020 at 03:05 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 41.5 mpg (US) ... 17.7 km/L ... 5.7 L/100 km ... 49.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by precisionxt View Post
    ...was wondering what the next closest value in ETACS would be to compensate for the new circumference as apposed to stock?
    Go back and start reading at this post. There was a short discussion about these ETACS settings there.

One thing that the resident tire engineer (Basic) brought up was this: When calculating the circumference of a tire, you may have to use the static loaded radius of the tire...not the radius. This may explain why these circumference numbers don't make sense.

SLR Static Loaded Radius is the radius from the wheel center down to the ground, at reference load and pressure. The difference between unloaded radius and static loaded radius is called deflection. This value varies between 15-30% of the tire section height, depending on tire type.
    I can tell you that if you are going to use 185-55-15s, the speedometer difference is so small it's undetectable. But I understand if you want it to be as accurate as possible.

One last comment... If you are considering Bridgestone tires, the absolute cheapest place to get them is Costco when they are running a promotion. Costco has good prices to start with...and right now they are running the best promotion of the year on these tires...$150 off a set of 4. Road hazard warranty and flat repairs are included with all tires.

Name:  Bridgestone_Deal_2020_2.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  54.4 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

PityOnU (11-11-2020),precisionxt (11-11-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    I can tell you that if you are going to use 185-55-15s, the speedometer difference is so small it's undetectable. But I understand if you want it to be as accurate as possible.

One last comment... If you are considering Bridgestone tires, the absolute cheapest place to get them is Costco when they are running a promotion. Costco has good prices to start with...and right now they are running the best promotion of the year on these tires...$150 off a set of 4. Road hazard warranty and flat repairs are included with all tires.

Thanks for the tip!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 41.5 mpg (US) ... 17.7 km/L ... 5.7 L/100 km ... 49.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Go back and start reading at this post. There was a short discussion about these ETACS settings there.

One thing that the resident tire engineer (Basic) brought up was this: When calculating the circumference of a tire, you may have to use the static loaded radius of the tire...not the radius. This may explain why these circumference numbers don't make sense.

Another post with tons of useful info!

I would just like to echo what Top_Fuel has said here w.r.t. speedometer readings. While you can go and mess with things in ETACS, the difference is so small that it is unnoticeable for day to day driving. I'm pretty nitpicky when it comes to stuff like these, but in this case, I have no problem just letting it be.

You have to figure that the new difference in radius is a single digit percentage. I think the fastest anyone has gone in one of these cars is like 11Xmph? By the time you're going fast enough to notice a difference on your speedometer, you likely have other things you are worrying about more (generally how you're now deaf from wind noise in the cabin).

12. The Following User Says Thank You to PityOnU For This Useful Post:

inuvik (11-11-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    would just like to echo what Top_Fuel has said here w.r.t. speedometer readings. While you can go and mess with things in ETACS, the difference is so small that it is unnoticeable for day to day driving. I'm pretty nitpicky when it comes to stuff like these, but in this case, I have no problem just letting it be.

You have to figure that the new difference in radius is a single digit percentage. I think the fastest anyone has gone in one of these cars is like 11Xmph? By the time you're going fast enough to notice a difference on your speedometer, you likely have other things you are worrying about more (generally how you're now deaf from wind noise in the cabin).
    I don't particularly care about care about speedometer reading so much as my odometer over time. Wouldn't the mileage stray further and further the higher mileage you accrue or am I misunderstanding the way this works?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by precisionxt View Post
    I don't know if it was covered in this thread or not, but I've been eyeing these Konig Heliums on Discount Tire and was wondering what the next closest value in ETACS would be to compensate for the new circumference as apposed to stock?

Edit: looks like it's 1836mm?

Edit 2: What was Mitsubishi smoking when they set these tire sizes? Can anyone with a 2017 or newer Mirage confirm if the below values are the same as the 2014 & 2015? I'm about to go out and double check this. I really want to be as close as possible.

1748mm
    1784mm
    2015mm
    2026mm
    2066mm
    2073mm
    2082mm
    2124mm
    2155mm
    2185mm
    1748mm = 68.82"
    1784mm = 70.24"