Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuel Efficient 15-Inch Wheels and Tires

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Keeper of the Wrenches
    Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Just wanted to say your work is appreciated. Just had some Sport Edition P5 and Kumho Ecsta X4 II tires put on my wife's '14 today.

Tire rack included centering rings and lugnuts. Had to track down the Mitsubishi valve stems for $55. Then pay about $100 for mounting and balancing.

All said and done, was about $875. But Tire Rack gives 3% back on ebates.com (which is awesome) and these tires had an $80 mail in rebate, which will net me about $100 back.

And they look great. The widened track looks great. I'll post a pic tomorrow - it's dark and raining out now.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to arz For This Useful Post:

HitShane (06-23-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Good work on all the information you put together.
    I really liked the center hub decals.

Really nice looking car btw. Love the end result.

The contact patch of a 185 Ecopia is nearly identical to a 165 Enasave (details in this thread)
    Well the Enasave are 6.7" wide and the Ecopia EP422 are 7.3". Times 4 this is a lot more rubber on the ground (I know this is total product width, but the actual tread on the ground is about the same difference).
    Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 1734
Size:  81.3 KB

*If I ended up behind you on the highway and you were only going 60 MPH I would probably sideswipe you. No offense. It's just business.

I didn't go searching for any particular wheel style. I mainly went looking for the lightest 15 inch wheels I could find, and then went from there. These were the best "bang for the buck" I could find. At barely over 11 pounds each, that pretty much eliminated everything else for me. I originally came across these at this website.

8 spokes is enough for me. I wouldn't want to have to detail any more than that every time I wash my car!
    Exactly, I wasn't even looking for wheels I was looking for steelies that could mount better tires. I found performance tires cost less than the stockers LOL. The only reason I didn't get steelies is that I couldn't find them for cheaper than Alloys!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ranny View Post
    I know the thread states that the tires don't rub. Have you confirmed that this is the case with the steering cranked to full lock (tightest turn)?
    185/55 15 doesn't rub lock to lock or on bottom out.

"But the mirage tires are sooo small, they do look kind of pathetic."

-I had two groups of people point at me and shout, "he is driving on donuts" the first week I owned the car lol...

Quote Originally Posted by arz View Post

All said and done, was about $875. But Tire Rack gives 3% back on ebates.com (which is awesome) and these tires had an $80 mail in rebate, which will net me about $100 back.

And they look great. The widened track looks great. I'll post a pic tomorrow - it's dark and raining out now.
    That's about what I paid for ICW Racing wheels and Toyo Proxes tires. The quick change type TPMS valve stems are actually only $10 each. I paid $950 with everything and painted calipers.
    Last edited by HitShane; 06-23-2016 at 07:09 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Just had some Sport Edition P5 and Kumho Ecsta X4 II tires put on my wife's '14 today.
    Those look pretty sweet. Any particular reason you chose the Kumho tires?

All said and done, was about $875.
    But Tire Rack gives 3% back on ebates.com
    and these tires had an $80 mail in rebate
    which will net me about $100 back.
    Cool! I went to Tire Rack when i first started wheel shopping, but they didn't carry the wheels I wanted. But their website is much more helpful than Discount Tire's is.

...they look great. The widened track looks great.
    Yeah...I can't emphasize how huge of an appearance improvement a set of larger wheels/tires (with the right offset) is on a Mirage. It's like a completely different car.

Looking forward to seeing some pictures...and maybe hearing about how your fuel mileage may have been affected.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hitshane View Post
    *if i ended up behind you on the highway and you were only going 60 mph i would probably sideswipe you. No offense. It's just business...
    lmao...

I try not to be a butt-head on the Interstate. I won't go so slow that I'm holding back traffic...but I'm not sure staying at 60mph or below is possible in your area of Florida...unless it's during rush hour.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Keeper of the Wrenches
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Those look pretty sweet. Any particular reason you chose the Kumho tires?
    Price was probably the biggest factor.

Yeah...I can't emphasize how huge of an appearance improvement a set of larger wheels/tires (with the right offset) is on a Mirage. It's like a completely different car.

Looking forward to seeing some pictures...and maybe hearing about how your fuel mileage may have been affected.
    Agree. It no longer looks like a toy, now it's an econobox.

Name:  IMG_20160623_071236.jpg
Views: 2944
Size:  97.7 KB Name:  IMG_20160623_071228.jpg
Views: 2040
Size:  96.3 KB

She's got a thousand mile round trip coming up next week... I'll post milage. We haven't been real good at keeping track before hand - it's high 40s, bumping up against 50mpg. With where we live, 80%+ of our driving is at 45-65 with only the occasional stoplight. Zero hypermiler tricks employed by her.

edit: I'm going to put that tow point away. This car has tendency to get stuck in our snow.

Country
    United States
    Thanks

edit: I'm going to put that tow point away. This car has tendency to get stuck in our snow.
    Haha, I got mine stuck in some very powder like sand. I was parked in a parking lot that was really not finished yet and got blocked in. Long story short she sank fast and the street tires didn't help. Luckily a nice gentleman in a 4wd had a rope and pulled me out by my ass

Country
    United States
    Thanks

I put snow tires on the OE alloys and had no trouble in the Mid-Atlantic Blizzard. Granted, didn't drive much since the area doesn't know what to do with three feet of snow and told everyone to stay off the roads, but I'd be passing people left and right with snow covering the roads.

But I did have to stop and help a guy with an AWD Honda Pilot that got stuck trying to leave the neighborhood. He had 4/32" of tread left on his Michelins.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

Keeper of the Wrenches
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cani Lupine View Post
    I put snow tires on the OE alloys
    That's the plan.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It no longer looks like a toy, now it's an econobox.
    Funny...but true!

Nice choice on the wheels...looks great!