Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuel Efficient 15-Inch Wheels and Tires

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    I think if you went back to page 1 of this thread your questions would be answered.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Senior Member Subcompact Culture's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    I think if you went back to page 1 of this thread your questions would be answered.
    I suppose you're right. If Top Fuel isn't rubbing with 15x6.5 +40 on 185/55/15, I guess I wouldn't either.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Subcompact Culture View Post
    ...If Top Fuel isn't rubbing with 15x6.5 +40 on 185/55/15, I guess I wouldn't either.
    This is a fairly conservative wheel/tire combination that has been working great for me. The only other consideration you have is the fact that you are lowered. I think you would still be OK...but I can't tell you for certain.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    This is a fairly conservative wheel/tire combination that has been working great for me. The only other consideration you have is the fact that you are lowered. I think you would still be OK...but I can't tell you for certain.
    Well, if you've had passengers in the rear and have gone over bumps and don't rub, it's very likely I wouldn't either. For reference, I rubbed before I was lowered when I was on 195s with a passenger in the back.

Again, I could go even more conservative and run 175, too. On a +40 wheel, I'd be 2mm farther in from the fender, and then 10mm farther away from the fender lip (195 - 175 = 20mm ÷ 2 = 10mm)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The reason I went with a 6.5 in wheel width was because if you go look at tire sizes that you want to use you need to look at the minimum width required to mount that tire. Since the tire size I wanted to go with was 185 and I didn't want to be the minimum width of 6 in I went with a 6.5 inch wheel. If you go try to find tires for your 4.5 in stock wheel you will notice that there are not many options at all and the ones that are there are pricey. Once you go up to a six inch wheel or larger there are multiple tire sizes that you can fit and multiple brand names to choose from. Going to that larger wheel width exponentially increased my tire options... so I would recommend that you go look at what tires you actually want to use, check out the specifications, and make sure you buy a wheel that the tire can actually properly mount to...

I didn't buy tires to fit my wheels, I bought wheels to fit my tires

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I believe he has 14" factory wheels & wants to upgrade? A 14" tire can be larger than a 15" tire depending on what tire size is being used.
    Yeah the reason I said go down to a 14 inch wheel is so that you could still have the sidewall you wanted not only for comfort but also for tire durability as an everyday vehicle. Potholes and what not...
    Last edited by HitShane; 10-10-2018 at 06:21 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HitShane View Post
    The reason I went with a 6.5 in wheel width was because if you go look at tire sizes that you want to use you need to look at the minimum width required to mount that tire. Since the tire size I wanted to go with was 185 and I didn't want to be the minimum width of 6 in I went with a 6.5 inch wheel. If you go try to find tires for your 4.5 in stock wheel you will notice that there are not many options at all and the ones that are there are pricey. Once you go up to a six inch wheel or larger there are multiple tire sizes that you can fit and multiple brand names to choose from. Going to that larger wheel width exponentially increased my tire options... so I would recommend that you go look at what tires you actually want to use, check out the specifications, and make sure you buy a wheel that the tire can actually properly mount to...

I didn't buy tires to fit my wheels, I bought wheels to fit my tires

Yeah the reason I said go down to a 14 inch wheel is so that you could still have the sidewall you wanted not only for comfort but also for tire durability as an everyday vehicle. Potholes and what not...
    I totally understand. I did this with my off-road wheels/tires. I wanted a 33x10.50 tire but wasn't sure if I could put it on an 8" wheel (I could).

I've considered getting some custom 14s, but I much prefer the look of 15s.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This is fantastic information!! Excellent thread

8. The Following User Says Thank You to iriegnome For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (07-31-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I purchased this exact set up recently. The OP is pretty spot on with the post. I do believe i may have lost a little more Fuel Economy on the interstate than he has.
    Name:  1.jpg
Views: 1168
Size:  95.0 KB
    And I am also having a very bad problem with a vibration. I got the hub centric rings and everything but there is something not right about 1 or 2 of the tires. I have took it back to discount time twice already. I'm going to take it back this weekend and leave it with them. I think I may have just got a bad tire or wheel. But they look great. After I get this vibration out I will be very happy. I have about 2,700 miles on them now.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to flotownj For This Useful Post:

Fummins (07-31-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by flotownj View Post
    ...I am also having a very bad problem with a vibration...there is something not right about 1 or 2 of the tires.
    That sucks. I wonder if they have a road force balancer and actually understand how to use it?

Your car looks amazingly familiar...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Eggman (07-31-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Subcompact Culture View Post
    I totally understand. I did this with my off-road wheels/tires. I wanted a 33x10.50 tire but wasn't sure if I could put it on an 8" wheel (I could).

I've considered getting some custom 14s, but I much prefer the look of 15s.
    35 12.5 on an 8" was perfect for me. Cant blow a bead even at 1 psi. Holds on real nice without beadlocks.

Chalked flat at 24psi, so I ran mine around 27 on the road, never had bad wear. 24-25 was a bit squirrelly.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)