Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuel Efficient 15-Inch Wheels and Tires

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,532 Times in 1,467 Posts

Fuel Efficient 15-Inch Wheels and Tires

I'm running a 15-inch wheel/tire combination worth considering if you want to improve your Mirage’s appearance/handling without sacrificing fuel economy. I've driven 100,000+ miles on this setup and it challenges the idea that a Mirage needs small wheels/tires for big MPG numbers.

This isn't the biggest set of wheels/tires that will fit on a Mirage, but it does represent a more aggressive looking and fuel-efficient alternative to the Mirage's undersized OEM wheels/tires.

WARNING: GET A 4-WHEEL ALIGNMENT ! ! !

Don't even think about changing wheels/tires until your Mirage passes a 4-wheel alignment check.

If your Mirage has a rear wheel alignment problem, you want this corrected while you still have the OEM wheels/tires on the car to keep the warranty process simple. Dealers will blame aftermarket wheels and non-original size tires for any alignment issues you have. That's complete BS...but why take a chance?

TIP: Many Mirages come from the factory with the front end poorly aligned.

ALWAYS GET AN ALIGNMENT CHECK DONE FIRST...EVEN IF YOUR MIRAGE IS BRAND NEW.
    Don't risk premature wear on new tires! A free alignment check only costs you some time.

Wheel/Tire Combination

Wheels....15 x 6.5 Konig Helium (40mm offset)
    Tires.......185-55-15 Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 Plus **

** EDIT 2020 - I now recommend 185-60-15 or even 185-65-15s. See this thread for more info.

Name:  Mirage1.jpg
Views: 22698
Size:  66.9 KB

Name:  Mirage2.jpg
Views: 19254
Size:  66.0 KB

FAQ:

Why did you choose these particular wheels/tires?

Konig Helium wheels had the best combination of fitment, light weight and reasonable price.
    Bridgestone Ecopia tires had the best combination of low rolling resistance and long tread life.

For more details about how/why I selected these specific wheels/tires back in 2016, see this thread.

How much does this combination weigh compared to OEM wheels/tires?

TIRE BRAND/MODEL WHEEL SIZE TOTAL WEIGHT (lbs)
    165-65-14 Dunlop Enasave OEM Alloy 14 x 4.5 26
    175-55-15 Yokohama Avid S34 OEM Alloy 15 x 5.5 29 (estimate)
    185-55-15 Bridgestone Ecopia Konig Helium 15 x 6.5 27

How do these fit on the car compared to OEM wheels?

This wheel-size.com image shows how the large fender clearance of OEM wheels is significantly reduced by using 15 x 6.5" wheels with less offset...

Name:  wheelsize_header.jpg
Views: 13031
Size:  25.8 KB
    Name:  wheel-size.jpg
Views: 14354
Size:  87.1 KB

This willtheyfit.com image compares my wheel/tire setup to the OEM 14" wheel/tire…

Name:  willtheyfit.jpg
Views: 14261
Size:  59.0 KB

You can see that the tires easily clear the front/rear fenders...

Name:  Mirage5.JPG
Views: 15433
Size:  75.1 KB

Do these tires rub or have any clearance problems?

I have stock springs and have experienced NO clearance issues. I've had 4 adults in the car driving over speed bumps, etc...and have never had anything rub. The front wheels can also be turned lock-to-lock without any concern.

Will these wheels and tires void my warranty because they aren't the factory sizes?

They may not technically void your warranty, but you really don't want to show up at the dealer with a drive-train or alignment concern with aftermarket wheels/tires on your car. You're just asking for trouble. Mitsubishi can (and likely will) make the warranty process more difficult if you have non-stock size wheels on the car. If you read your owner's manual carefully, it even states this. Make it easy on you and your dealer. If you have a serious warranty issue related to your drive-line, put some stock-sized wheels/tires back on first. I don't even have mine any more...so if I have a major problem before I hit 100k miles, I'll have to track down a set of OEM wheels/tires first.

What air pressure are you running in the tires?

I keep them very close to 50 PSI (the max rating on the sidewall is 51 PSI). The tires have shown no signs of over-inflation wear when set at these pressure levels (see image further down). The car doesn't really ride terribly at these pressures, either...probably due to the cushy suspension.

How has your fuel economy been with these wheels/tires?

I have averaged 52 mpg for over 100,000 miles on these wheels/tires (60% highway/40% city driving). I drive conservatively to maximize my fuel mileage, but I don't do any serious hyper-miler tricks like engine-off coasting. My lifetime fuel economy log is only with these wheels/tires.

NOTE: These results are not typical. It takes a LOT of discipline and careful driving habits to consistently get 50+ mpg in a Mirage. Just look look at the numbers other forum members are posting in the fuel economy log.

How can this wheel/tire combination be as efficient as 165-65-14 Enasaves?

Consider the following…

• This wheel/tire only weighs 1 pound more than a 14” factory alloy wheel and 165 Enasave

• The Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 Plus incorporates the latest advances in LRR tire design

• These tires have a shorter/more rigid sidewall and support higher inflation pressures than a 165-65-14. These properties should allow the tire to maintain its shape better as it rolls, resulting in less rolling resistance. At least it sounds good in theory.

Do 185-55-15 tires affect the speedometer accuracy?

185-55-15's cause the speedometer to read 2.5% below the car's actual speed because they are half an inch taller (23") than OEM 165-65-14's (22.4"). The difference is so minor you can't detect it. The chart below shows various speedometer readings with 185-55-15 tires...

Speedometer Reading (MPH) Actual Speed
    40 41.0
    50 51.2
    60 61.5
    70 71.8
    80 82.0
    100 102.5

When my ScanGauge indicates 60mph, my Garmin GPS shows 61 mph.

TIP: Compare speedometer readings with different tires using this Speedometer Calibration Calculator

Do you have to adjust your mileage formula for these tires?

With slightly taller tires, the car is traveling further than the odometer indicates. When reading the number of miles driven, just add 2.5% to that number. If the trip odometer says 400 miles, the car actually traveled 410 miles (400 x 1.025).

Does the car handle better with these wheels/tires?

Yes...the car handles better and seems more stable at freeway speeds. Keep in mind these are still Low Rolling Resistance tires. If improved handling is your primary goal, there are better 15" options out there if you don't mind a higher rolling resistance tire.

How are these tires in the rain and snow?

These tires perform like an average all season tire. They aren't awesome rain tires...but they aren't terrible, either. I haven't had any issues in the rain or occasional (2-3 times per year) mild snowfall. You guys in cold winter climates that require dedicated snow tires...you're still going to need them. Note: There are low rolling resistance snow tires available in 185-55-15.

Ecopia EP422 Plus tires have a 70,000 mile tread life warranty. Is that realistic?

I've had Ecopia tires before, and they are somewhat under-rated when it comes to tread life. If you don't drive aggressively, your car is aligned properly, and you rotate your tires...these tires should have no problem lasting 80,000 miles on a Mirage.

75,000 MILE TREAD WEAR UPDATE: These tires had 11/32" of tread when new. At 75,000 miles (and 14 tire rotations) and they are all between 3-4/32". So they are wearing at the rate of roughly 1/32" every 9,000 miles. I will re-evaluate them at 80,000 miles. Here's what they look like after 75K miles...

Name:  Ecopia_70k_miles.jpg
Views: 12953
Size:  38.1 KB

I know what you're thinking. Those tires are almost toast. Just replace them now. Well, the tread is still adequate/legal and winter is months away. So I'm not in a hurry to get new tires just yet. Besides, nothing has lower rolling resistance than a worn LRR tire. I'm experiencing my best mpg numbers right now, and I'm sure these well-worn tires are a significant factor.

90,000 MILE TREAD WEAR UPDATE: After 4.5 years and 90,000 miles...I finally replaced these tires! This is what they looked like. Let me say that I should have replaced these at 80K miles...but with COVID and a dry summer, I just kept driving on them. The few times I got caught in a heavy rain, it was scary.

Name:  tires_at_90K.jpg
Views: 8491
Size:  78.9 KB

What are the advantages of 15" wheels?

1. Improved Appearance

15" wheels with the right width/offset will give your car a HUGE visual boost. OEM 14"/15" Mirage wheels are narrow, the tires are tiny, and the wheel offset is excessively positive. This gives a Mirage its odd top-heavy appearance because the wheels sit too far in under the fenders.

2. Improved Handling

Wider 15" wheels will allow you to run larger tires with a lower profile and stiffer sidewalls. The wheels will also give your car a slightly wider track.

3. Potentially Lower Operating Costs

The least expensive tire to own isn't the one with the lowest price. You want a tire with the best combination of price, long (80K mile) tread life, and low rolling resistance. There are no 14" tires available that combine long tread life and low rolling resistance.

4. No MPG Loss

People assume that larger wheels and tires can't possibly match the efficiency of the Mirage's OEM setup. My experience is that as long as you match light-weight wheels with proven LRR tires, your fuel mileage will not be affected.

Where did you buy these wheels/tires and how much did they cost?

Back in early 2016, Discount Tire was hard to beat when they had wheel/tire promotions going on.
    Here's my bill...

Discount Tire Invoice

WHEELS
    15 x 6.5 Konig Helium Wheels (4 @ $89/each)..$356
    Wheel Installation Kit (required lug nuts)...$ 15
    TPMS Valve Stems.............................$ 32
    Sales Tax....................................$ 33

TIRES
    185-55-15 Bridgestone Ecopia (4 @ $100/ea)...$400
    Sales Tax....................................$ 30

INSTALLATION
    Mount & Balance 4 tires......................$ 50

REBATES
    Prepaid Visa card with 4 new wheels.........-$100
    Prepaid Visa card with 4 new tires..........-$ 70

Total After Rebates..........................$746 **

I could have saved an additional $120 by opening a Discount Tire credit card.

NOTE...
    I sold my OEM alloy wheels/tires for $450...so my actual cost for this package was only $296

EDIT January 2020: Costco is the cheapest place to buy name brand tires (including Bridgestone). They run an occasional promotion where you get $70 off 4 tires and FREE installation. There are no rebates...they just deduct everything right off the top of your bill. That would make these tires about $100/each installed. Costco tires include a free road hazard warranty and free tire repairs.

The best place to buy the wheels is either Amazon or Goodwin Racing.

Why do you need new lugnuts for these wheels?

The factory lugnuts won’t fit into the holes of these wheels. Just buy a Gorilla Wheel Installation Kit 21133HT (pictured below) which includes 20 small diameter, splined chrome lugnuts (12mm x 1.5) and the special socket for installing them.

TIP: Always carry the special socket in the car...and make sure you have a lug wrench that can drive it.

Name:  lugnuts.JPG
Views: 14596
Size:  29.5 KB

Why did they charge you $32 for rubber valve stems?

These are not a typical rubber valve stem, even though they look like it from the outside of the wheel. These special valve stems (VS-90 or sometimes called TG1D) are required by the clip-on TPMS sensors used on the Mirage. You can't remove them from your current wheels and reuse them. $8/each may seem crazy, but they are $6+ even at NAPA. Here's what standard and VS-90 valve stems look like...

Name:  VS90.JPG
Views: 13186
Size:  51.8 KB

What size hubcentric rings do I need with these wheels?

Mirage Hub - Outside Diameter 56.0 mm
    Konig Helium - Inside Diameter 73.1 mm

Based on the measurements in the table above, you need hub rings with a 73mm outer diameter and 56.1 inner diameter. This is a common size you can find on eBay for $10 (search for 73/56.1). Buy aluminum rings over plastic...they are much more durable. Hub rings aren't absolutely required, but they're inexpensive and they make installing the wheels much easier. Don't skip buying these to save $10.

Name:  Hub Ring 73-561.jpg
Views: 17902
Size:  36.1 KB

Where did you get Mitsubishi center caps?

Konig Helium wheels come with blank center caps and flat, adhesive-backed “Konig” emblems that you install in the caps. Instead of using the Konig emblems, I found some 49mm Mitsubishi wheel cap centers on eBay for $20. They fit perfectly in the center caps and give the wheels an OEM look. Another excellent source for center cap logos is 3D Car Stickers

Name:  centercaps.JPG
Views: 14322
Size:  95.5 KB

Will my original TPMS sensors work with these wheels without reprogramming?

Absolutely. As long as the same 4 sensors go back on the car, nothing will need to be reprogrammed.

If you need to purchase/install new TPMS sensors as part of a wheel/tire upgrade, do yourself a favor and check out this thread for more information: TPMS Quick Reference

NOTE: My dealer will not cover my OEM TPMS sensors under warranty because someone else mounted new tires on my car. Say what?!? Anyway...just be aware that once you swap your sensors to new wheels, your dealer may try to avoid responsibility for them if you have a sensor battery go dead within your 5 year/60,000 mile warranty. I don't think that's likely anyway...but just wanted to mention it.

Are these wheels available in any colors besides silver?

Yes. Konig Helium wheels are available in silver, black or bronze.

I read on the interwebz that these wheels crack easily. Is that a problem?

Heliums are a cast aluminum street-duty wheel. Some have been used in track events and there are old accounts of one occasionally cracking under extreme road racing conditions (they aren't warranted for track use). Heliums have been sold for 20+ years and there aren’t any accounts I can find of one being damaged during street use. I have 100,000+ daily-driver miles on mine with absolutely no issues.

Heliums aren't my style. Are there any other reasonably priced 15" aftermarket lightweight wheels?

Check out Rota wheels. Rota makes several wheel models in a size identical to the Konig Helium (15x6.5, 40mm offset) and are only slightly more expensive. Many of their wheels don't weigh more than 13 pounds.

Is there anything else I need to know before considering these wheels?

These wheels will expose your brakes for the world to see! The good thing is you can check your brake pads now just by looking through the wheel. The bad thing is that now everyone can see your crusty rotors. So you may want to consider cleaning up your rotors and hitting them with some paint. Same thing with your brake drums. The factory paint on brake components is really thin. So even if your drums/rotors look good now, take some time to put a layer of good high-temp paint on them. I painted everything and even did the calipers with G2 silver caliper paint.

Name:  Mirage8.JPG
Views: 15842
Size:  56.2 KB

Last edited by Top_Fuel; 12-22-2021 at 07:54 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 31 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

01-7700 (11-25-2017),18slcmirage (11-02-2020),arz (06-24-2016),Car Nut (06-07-2016),Christopher_B (02-11-2021),Cobrajet (06-07-2016),ComputerAbuser (06-16-2016),Crusher47 (09-25-2018),Daox (06-06-2016),Donut (06-06-2016),Dookaughs (05-01-2022),dragon2knight (10-30-2020),Dust2dust02 (12-11-2019),Eggman (06-06-2016),emdeplam (06-24-2016),fc321 (07-27-2017),HitShane (06-23-2016),IchabodCrane (06-06-2016),Inudalek (06-06-2016),ioriknight (10-29-2016),lightningslow (01-10-2018),Marklovski (06-06-2016),MetroMPG (06-06-2016),mitsumi (06-13-2016),Remy (09-29-2016),roscoe1972 (06-06-2016),spork (10-09-2016),Teasmade (06-06-2016),TXmirageGUY (12-14-2017),Wayne (03-19-2017),wellswebdesign (06-06-2016)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Wow.
    That's a lot of info. Very well done.
    I will use your recommendations regarding tires if I can find them here. For my tastes though I prefer a 12 spoke rim. Did you consider any options in 12 spoke?
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to IchabodCrane For This Useful Post:

TXmirageGUY (12-14-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IchabodCrane View Post
    ...Did you consider any options in 12 spoke?
    I didn't go searching for any particular wheel style. I mainly went looking for the lightest 15 inch wheels I could find, and then went from there. These were the best "bang for the buck" I could find. At barely over 11 pounds each, that pretty much eliminated everything else for me. I originally came across these at this website.

8 spokes is enough for me. I wouldn't want to have to detail any more than that every time I wash my car!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

HitShane (06-23-2016)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to IchabodCrane For This Useful Post:

Inudalek (06-06-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Wow, that was a remarkably well written post and addressed almost all questions I'd have about a wheel upgrade. I see so many cars with ridiculous looking plus sized tires. People dont seem to get that bigger doesn't always equal better. If the wheels and tires are too heavy, it makes the car feel clumsy and ruins the ride. But the mirage tires are sooo small, they do look kind of pathetic. Your setup looks great and not too big.

And a plug for Discount Tire - I bought 4 snow tires from them. The price was as cheap or cheaper than tire rack and the service was great.

A question or two . . . do the larger diameter tires affect the turning radius? One of the aspects I really like about the Mirage is the tight turning radius. I know the thread states that the tires don't rub. Have you confirmed that this is the case with the steering cranked to full lock (tightest turn)?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ranny For This Useful Post:

TXmirageGUY (12-14-2017)

Country
    UK
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    The best post regarding aftermarket wheels and their selection that I've ever read on any forum! Thank you for taking the time to put it together!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 3 CVT 1.2 automatic: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    The car looks great with those . Like the front of the '14 + '15 better than the '17 . Never been a big fan of the chrome trim thing , cheesy . Excellent write-up ! Maybe you should consider a novel of your travels and experiences with your car . Title , MIRAGE and ME . Thanks

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Great post Top Fuel, thanks!
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranny View Post
    ...If the wheels and tires are too heavy, it makes the car feel clumsy and ruins the ride.
    I agree. When you're starting with a stock wheel/tire that only weighs 26 pounds, you have to be careful or you may end up with a combination that's easily in the low/mid 30 pound range. These smaller, lighter cars are going to be more sensitive to heavier wheels/tires. If you look at Tire rack, I don't think you will find a 15" wheel anywhere near 11 pounds.

But the mirage tires are sooo small, they do look kind of pathetic.
    I was motivated to do this by looking at cars sitting in parking lots. Mainly Sparks, Aveos and Mazda-2s. I just felt that these cars didn't look funny on stock wheels, so maybe my car doesn't have to, either.

...do the larger diameter tires affect the turning radius?
    I don't think so...but I will double-check. I've already had the car in a "lock-to-lock" turning situation and didn't hear anything funny. I've looked up in the front fenderwells and don't see any "clean" spots on the fenderwell linings to indicate that anything is rubbing.

edit - Check THIS thread. This forum member is running the same wheels and same size tires...and he also reported no rubbing issues lock-to-lock.
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 06-10-2016 at 01:56 AM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

TXmirageGUY (12-14-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I appreciate the positive feedback, guys.

I burned up a LOT of time comparing different combinations and I don't want anyone else to waste as much of their life as I did just to consider new wheels. Looking at wheel pictures on the web is fine, but without a lot of info behind the pictures, they really weren't helping me make an informed decision.

Hopefully this will help someone down the road when their Enasaves wear out. A wheel upgrade just might be worth considering.

17. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Eggman (06-07-2016),HitShane (06-23-2016),Joni (01-30-2018),lightningslow (01-10-2018),MetroMPG (04-24-2022),TXmirageGUY (12-14-2017)