Thread: Parking Brake Shoe Activation

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Question Parking Brake Shoe Activation

Maybe a silly question, does the parking brake activate both shoes on each wheel or only the rear shoe?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by R01k View Post
    Maybe a silly question, does the parking brake activate both shoes on each wheel or only the rear shoe?
    I believe both.

https://repairpal.com/parking-brake

3. The Following User Says Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

Fummins (04-24-2022)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    deleted because foama below is right, the parking brake actuator braces off the auto-adjuster
    https://mirageforum.com/forum/attach...4&d=1518623817
    Last edited by mohammad; 04-25-2022 at 02:52 PM.
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    The question is not silly at all.
    Correct, the cable is attached to only one shoe, as with most other cars, but correct is also, both shoes are operational with a pulled handbrake.

How is that? The hinged lever attached to the cable presses the forward facing shoe onto the the drum. Initially this is also the case when the brake lever is is only pulled very lightly. When the forward-facing lining presses onto the drum, the brake-selfadjuster comes in. It is attached to the lever on the forward-facing side, and the other shoe on the other. With the pulled hand brake lever, it effectively distributes the force between both shoes, and both press on the drum.

With regular braking, the lever on the forward facing lining is not pulled by the brake cable. It rests on the shoe, between the shoe and the self-adjuster. The secondary cylinder pushes both shoes onto the drum when applying the foot brake. The self-adjuster limits the amount of retreat of the shoes after braking has stopped.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (04-24-2022),mohammad (04-25-2022),R01k (04-24-2022),Wil B (04-24-2022)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    What foama said...
    Karl

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CROSSBOLT For This Useful Post:

Fummins (04-24-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    The hinged lever attached to the cable presses the forward facing shoe onto the the drum
    I think the lever makes the rear-facing shoe move first, since it's attached to that shoe. In any case, thanks for the detailed explanation!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CROSSBOLT View Post
    What foama said...

Hey, I was right. The link I provided explained it as well.
    Last edited by AtomicPunk; 04-24-2022 at 06:22 PM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    the brake-selfadjuster comes in. It is attached to the lever on the forward-facing side, and the other shoe on the other. With the pulled hand brake lever, it effectively distributes the force between both shoes, and both press on the drum.
    I never realized the self-adjuster is designed to take the force of stopping the car. does this mean that the failure of the self-adjuster will prevent the e-brake from working as it appears the e-brake lever pivots against the self adjuster? https://mirageforum.com/forum/attach...4&d=1518623817
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by R01k View Post
    I think the lever makes the rear-facing shoe move first, since it's attached to that shoe. In any case, thanks for the detailed explanation!
    Yeah, you are right! The Mirage has it that way around. I confused it with another car's drum brakes repaired the day before.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    I never realized the self-adjuster is designed to take the force of stopping the car. does this mean that the failure of the self-adjuster will prevent the e-brake from working as it appears the e-brake lever pivots against the self adjuster? https://mirageforum.com/forum/attach...4&d=1518623817
    Only during braking via the handbrake lever does the self-adjuster have any real force applied.
    Otherwise, the self-adjuster is what the shoes rest on when there is no braking happening at the moment. The shoes "retreat" from the drum after braking and rest on the self-adjuster. The purpose of the self-adjuster is to take up too much slack , so the shoes don't have to move exessively for braking.

The best thing for understanding is to take a drum off and look for yourself.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

mohammad (04-25-2022)