Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuel Efficient 15-Inch Wheels and Tires

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'll be doing this upgrade in about a week (Black for a blue car). Thought I'd mention for those concerned about speedo/odo readings being off, you can change the tire circumference using the ETACS Decoder as mentioned in the DOAX Cruise Control writeup rather than having the dealer do it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NorCalPhil View Post
    I'll be doing this upgrade in about a week (Black for a blue car).
    Cool! You have had a 4-wheel alignment check done already...right?

...you can change the tire circumference using the ETACS Decoder as mentioned in the DOAX Cruise Control writeup rather than having the dealer do it.
    Has anyone done that yet? I know it shows up in the software...but I wasn't sure if anyone has actually done it. My speedometer error is so insignificant with 185-55-15 tires, it's not worth messing with.

I wouldn't ask a dealer to do this until after a car is out of warranty. A moderate wheel/tire upgrade like this won't break your car...but it can make a warranty process a lot more difficult.

Name:  warranty.JPG
Views: 825
Size:  34.4 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Subscribed

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Cool! You have had a 4-wheel alignment check done already...right?
    I am doing that first.

Has anyone done that yet? I know it shows up in the software...but I wasn't sure if anyone has actually done it. My speedometer error is so insignificant with 185-55-15 tires, it's not worth messing with.
    I'm not sure. I just noticed it's an option when I was turning on the cruise control feature. Lists the circumference in milimeters. Once I get everything mounted up I will give it a try and report back.

I wouldn't ask a dealer to do this until after a car is out of warranty. A moderate wheel/tire upgrade like this won't break your car...but it can make a warranty process a lot more difficult.
    I guess that's the beauty of being at 98k miles and the warranty being long gone!

I'm going to make some custom center wheel caps as well. I'll save that reveal for the pictures!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to NorCalPhil For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (07-16-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Cannot say enough about how much this thread helped me out! I have a set of Heliums in-route from Amazon and will be having Discount Tire mount the Ecopias later this week. The Dontlasts err sorry Dulops the car came with done got lopsided with bubbles in the side walls and had to be replaced at 27000 miles. The only tire I could find anywhere was the Bridgestone Postenza err sorry Potenza (the POS was a freudian slip). I had them done at COSTCO. Knowing they were cheap tires, I rotated them every time the COSTCO sticker on the windshield said to do it. At 55,000 miles I took it in and they told me they all had to be replaced due to severe uneven wear and suggested I have the alignment checked. I was a little ticked that they didn't notice that 5500 miles before as I doubt they got that way all of a sudden. However this made me check the handy dandy Mirage Forum for information about alignment and low and behold! a whole thread about the known rear axle issue. This sent me to the dealer to have checked out and sure enough they had to replace the axle. Now the axle was fixed but I was still stuck with needing 4 tires with no better option than another set of Potenzas. So I thought I wonder if there is any information on the Forum....and BLAM here we are.
    Discount tire really should pay you royalties.

BTW I just posted 4 2014 ES Alloys for sale in the Wanted/For Sale Thread.
    Here is the "Before" picture. Will post an "After" once they are installed.
    Name:  Driver Side (002).jpg
Views: 1114
Size:  93.0 KB

7. The Following User Says Thank You to IndyKiwi For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (07-25-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyKiwi View Post
    ...suggested I have the alignment checked.
    ...check the handy dandy Mirage Forum for information about alignment and low and behold! a whole thread about the known rear axle issue.
    LOL...yeah...all the information you need is in this forum. You just need to find it. The cool thing is that if you type in "Mirage alignment" in Google...threads in this forum are the first thing that pops up.

I have a set of Heliums in-route from Amazon and will be having Discount Tire mount the Ecopias later this week.
    When I look for Heliums on the Discount Tire website, it says they are out of stock. Is that why you bought them on Amazon instead of Discount Tire?

The good thing is you got your rear axle straightened out. Hopefully they aligned your front end at the same time...because I can almost guarantee you that your front end alignment was out-of-spec as well.

FYI... I'm approaching 50,000 miles on my Ecopias...and they are down to 6/32" of tread (they had 11/32" when new). So they are on track to last at least 80,000 miles. Just keep rotating them and make sure your alignment is good on all 4 wheels.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    LOL...yeah...all the information you need is in this forum. You just need to find it. The cool thing is that if you type in "Mirage alignment" in Google...threads in this forum are the first thing that pops up.

When I look for Heliums on the Discount Tire website, it says they are out of stock. Is that why you bought them on Amazon instead of Discount Tire?

Yes I originally wanted the Konig Lightning Wheels in Green but they were no longer making them. DT then called Konig who advised the Silver Heliums were in fact on back order with no sure date for delivery. My next choice would have been the Maxim Maze (also a Konig product, also not available). Amazon had the Heliums for $89.61 @ with free shipping for Prime. DT was $98 per rim plus shipping.

The good thing is you got your rear axle straightened out. Hopefully they aligned your front end at the same time...because I can almost guarantee you that your front end alignment was out-of-spec as well.

The dealership did advise that I had a bent front strut. It is supposedly out by 1 degree. I believe the price they quoted for replacing the strut was $384 with labor. Given I don't have the tires yet I was looking for alternative options. To me it doesn't make sense to just replace one and $768 is not in the budget with a similar amount being laid out for wheels and tires.

The service writer said it may not be enough of an issue to warrant replacement at this time. From what I read on this Forum there doesn't seem to be a good alternative to the factory struts? Also I am a bit of a DIY'er but I have only done struts once an a different car and it pushed the envelope of my skills. I haven't looked yet to see if there is a write up on that process here on the Forum.

FYI... I'm approaching 50,000 miles on my Ecopias...and they are down to 6/32" of tread (they had 11/32" when new). So they are on track to last at least 80,000 miles. Just keep rotating them and make sure your alignment is good on all 4 wheels.

That is very encouraging. I sold the better half on the idea that the first time we do not have to replace the tires (based on my very bad experience 30K per set) the wheels have paid for themselves.

Interestingly enough the only other brand new car I ever bought was a 1989 Mirage 5mt. Caspian Blue with air, rear defrost and a passenger side mirror. It came with Michelins from the factory, being young and dumb and maintenance lazy I do not recall ever rotating those tires and they lasted 60K

I worked for one of the 3 Dealerships that brought Mitsu to Indianapolis. All 3 were limited line dealers in 1988 with trucks only. The cars came the next year.

Would appreciate any input you have regarding the alignment.
    Last edited by IndyKiwi; 07-25-2018 at 01:41 PM. Reason: I didn't execute the quote properly and my responses were inside the quote

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Now the axle was fixed but I was still stuck with needing 4 tires with no better option than another set of Potenzas.
    Just to be clear to others who may read this, the Potenza is an epicly good tire (reason its been around so long) and the Mirage community should consider itself lucky that this option even exists in the factory size...
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The dealership did advise that I had a bent front strut.
    Hmmm...a bent strut? I'm not calling BS, but I would want a second opinion. Is there some place that will check your alignment for free...or a nominal charge? My brother lives in Carmel and he has had pretty good experiences at Indy Tire.

If you really do need a strut...you are correct. There are no aftermarket struts available. Your best bet would be to find a wrecked Mirage in a salvage yard and grab the entire strut/spring assembly (also known as a "loaded" strut). That would bolt in with minimal effort. I see these on eBay for $140. With 50K+ miles on your car, consider replacing both front struts if one is bad.

There are camber adjustments that your front end may need...but they can't be done without using special bolts and some extra labor time. Maybe the dealer tech doesn't want to deal with it?!? In any case, after they replaced your rear axle, they should have put the car on the alignment machine to verify the repair and given you an alignment printout. If they didn't, I would seek out another shop who will check the alignment (on all 4 wheels) AND give you a printout of exactly what your numbers look like.

You don't really want to put $400 worth of new tires on any car (especially a Mirage) without knowing if all 4 wheels are properly aligned.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,822 Times in 2,128 Posts
    Is there some place that will check your alignment for free
    Try NTB for free alignment checks.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)