Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuel Efficient 15-Inch Wheels and Tires

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Do you pay extra for nitrogen fill ups?
    Please, anyone on this site who reads this, please don't pay money for Nitrogen. Take that money and buy a good tire gauge and monitor your regular 78% Nitrogen regular ol air.

Sincerely your resident tire engineer.

Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Basic For This Useful Post:

Eggman (09-15-2020),Fummins (09-15-2020),Top_Fuel (09-15-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    Please, anyone on this site who reads this, please don't pay money for Nitrogen. Take that money and buy a good tire gauge and monitor your regular 78% Nitrogen regular ol air.

Sincerely your resident tire engineer.
    That is why I was asking. Going from 78% to 93% nitrogen isn't worth paying anything extra for.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I thought the nitrogen fill was to preserve alloy rims from internal corrosion. Seems like all the cars my friends have bought with alloys the rims always leak. My mom has used N2 in her Equinox alloys and they still don't leak. While in my limited perspective steel rims never start leaking with air and age the same way. I wouldn't pay for nitrogen but I'm also happy with steel.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Here is a good article on Nitrogen inflation. Summary: If it's free...go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by MacClyver View Post
    Seems like all the cars my friends have bought with alloys the rims always leak.
    I've never heard that theory. Most cases of leaky alloy wheels I've seen is corrosion over time of the wheels where the tire bead is seated on the wheel. A good tire installer will alert the customer to any corrosion and clean it off and/or seal it before installing new tires. If you're getting tires at a budget tire dealer, they may be mounting tires on wheels with bad corrosion and not telling you. In that case, you will eventually get slow leakage at the tire bead.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Actually I think we're on the same page. Normal air fill has water vapor leading to the bead seal corrosion that leads to the leaking. Religiously Nitrogen fill and there's no water vapor to cause the corrosion.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MacClyver For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (09-15-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    As an update, with my wheel (Maxxim Maze) and tire (185/55r15 Ecopia @ 45psi) combo, my average fuel economy today came out to be somewhere in the mid-thirties today. It was a lot of town driving, though. I will see what it ends up looking like when I take a drive up to the dealership over the weekend, as that will be mostly highway. I think I ended up averaging in the mid-forties last time. I just enabled cruise control, as well, so that should help.

Will be interesting to see the results.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,786 Times in 2,105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PityOnU View Post
    As an update, with my wheel (Maxxim Maze) and tire (185/55r15 Ecopia @ 45psi) combo, my average fuel economy today came out to be somewhere in the mid-thirties today. It was a lot of town driving, though. I will see what it ends up looking like when I take a drive up to the dealership over the weekend, as that will be mostly highway. I think I ended up averaging in the mid-forties last time. I just enabled cruise control, as well, so that should help.

Will be interesting to see the results.
    Keep in mind ambient temperature impacts the fuel consumption of these cars. The Mirage burns more gas in colder temperatures.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PityOnU View Post
    As an update, with my wheel (Maxxim Maze) and tire (185/55r15 Ecopia @ 45psi) combo, my average fuel economy today came out to be somewhere in the mid-thirties today.
    Are you multiplying your distance traveled by 1.025 because of the slightly taller tires?

Also keep in mind... Nothing has less rolling resistance than a set of worn out low rolling resistance tires. So if you went from worn out Enasaves to brand new Ecopias, it's possible you would not see a change (or possibly a slight decline) in your fuel mileage.

I'm running on very worn Ecopias at the moment (and getting my best fuel economy numbers ever). When my new tires go on within the next month, I expect to take a little bit of an economy hit.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Are you multiplying your distance traveled by 1.025 because of the slightly taller tires?
    That is only 2.5%, or 1/40. So the difference on 35mpg is 0.8, which is still in the mid-thirties.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Wolf View Post
    That is only 2.5%, or 1/40. So the difference on 35mpg is 0.8, which is still in the mid-thirties.
    Every little bit helps...but I see your point.