Thread: Rim width

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Question Rim width

Hello,

Ive purchased 185/65/14 tires Michelin defenders on sale from costco for approx 450 CAD. I was wondering what width rims i should go with.

Canadian tire has Hub centric rims that are 5.5 inches wide: https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/wheel...p.0095985.html

are these a good choice? Should I shop around for wider rims? Are there any dimensions i should be concerned about other than the hub being 56.1mm?

Is anyone running this tire/rim size and can tell me if i will have issues?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    Hello,

Ive purchased 185/65/14 tires Michelin defenders on sale from costco for approx 450 CAD. I was wondering what width rims i should go with.

Canadian tire has Hub centric rims that are 5.5 inches wide: https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/wheel...p.0095985.html

are these a good choice? Should I shop around for wider rims? Are there any dimensions i should be concerned about other than the hub being 56.1mm?

5.5" wide rims are for 165-195 wide tires & are ideal for 175-185 tires. Buying wider rims would add unnecessary weight.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,542 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Are there any dimensions i should be concerned about other than the hub being 56.1mm?
    You also need to consider the wheel's offset. I looked at those Canadian Tire wheels and they have a 45mm offset. They will fit fine on a Mirage...and those tires will also work fine without any rubbing. Your speedometer will read about 4% slow because the tires are slightly taller than your original tires.

This question sounds strangely familiar...

Will 185 65 14 tires fit

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Fummins (03-31-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Hello,

Adding to our previous comments - I believe Fummins company's fleet has use 185 wide tires on factory 14" x 4.5" rims. It's a bit outside the recommended size of 145-175 width tires for 4.5" rims, but I wouldn't hesitate to have one mounted up and take a good look at it (unless your goal is to have a second set of wheels).

By buying a pair of factory steel rims from a G4 owner, I also noticed they were `14" x 5" (which is good for 155-185 wide tires). I only mention that in case someone owns a G4. I assume other G4s may have that size steel rim on the base model.

I have an assortment of 4.5", 5", & 5.5" steel rims, but I am running 165/65r14 tires on all of them.

Yeah we've been running 185/60 14's on the stock 4.5" wide wheels for 5 years now. So far there have been only zero sidewall or other narrow rim width related failures. We had a hard time finding replacement wheels years early on, dealer had none in stock and refused to dismantle a set of steel wheels in their showroom with winter tires already mounted....The narrowest aftermarket wheel we could find at the time was 5.5" wide and it wasn't even hubcentric. I should go weigh one sometime, they're probably 2-3 times heavier than the stock steel and aluminum wheels.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)