Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exterior light mod: Always on front/rear signals/rear parking light

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Exterior light mod: Always on front/rear signals/rear parking light

Hello and good day to all.

After replacing the exterior lights with LED was wanting to do 2 things:

1. Make the front and rear amber turn signals remain on by default, and flash upon triggering the signal.
    2. Change the rear parking light from white to red (complete) and make the parking light remain always on.

From my reading of the road laws in Canada these potential modifications are legal so please assume legality here.

Is there a mechanical way to achieve these modifications or is this all software hacking stuff?
    I found this reference in the mazda 6 forums but unsure if this is applicable to the mirage:

https://www.mazda6club.com/threads/m...tailed.176041/

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I’m sure it’s not possible to use software to turn on only the rear parking lights as they are all wired together. Similarly I don’t think you can turn on the front but not rear or fender turn signal on using software
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    I’m sure it’s not possible to use software to turn on only the rear parking lights as they are all wired together. Similarly I don’t think you can turn on the front but not rear or fender turn signal on using software
    Was thinking somehow reverse the switch or fuse? So the park light stays on and turns off in reverse? Or bypass the switch completely.

I have the switch schematics (attached).
    Attached Images Attached Images  

If you're looking at a 2015 wiring diagram they're not the same for every year. Tail lights might be close but there's a ton of wiring pin changes from 2017 on
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

sunbeam (02-26-2024)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    If you're looking at a 2015 wiring diagram they're not the same for every year. Tail lights might be close but there's a ton of wiring pin changes from 2017 on
    Ok noted, I did not realize. Looks like the manuals I have downloaded are all 2015

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sunbeam View Post
    2. Change the rear parking light from white to red (complete) and make the parking light remain always on.
    Are you confusing parking lights with reverse lights? The reverse lights are already used as a rear fog light in some markets, maybe you can figure out how to enable it on your car. There are other threads on the forum about this aswell - https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...15-base-Mirage
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    Are you confusing parking lights with reverse lights? The reverse lights are already used as a rear fog light in some markets, maybe you can figure out how to enable it on your car. There are other threads on the forum about this aswell - https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...15-base-Mirage
    This light I thought was the parking light? It illuminates when shifted into reverse.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by sunbeam View Post
    This light I thought was the parking light? It illuminates when shifted into reverse.

Reverse lights have to be white in Canada. I call park light the front lights that turn on when you turn the headlight switch to the park light position, the tail lights turn on at the same time. Maybe I'm the crazy one?
    Tail lights are red, rear signal lights can be red or orange. Front signal lights and marker/park lights lights are orange.
    Last edited by Fummins; 02-27-2024 at 04:04 PM.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

mohammad (02-29-2024)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Also, for some reason, I think I was told it was illegal to have white lights illuminated on the rear of a vehicle facing rearward when driving down the highway to prevent confusing drivers behind you. License lights illuminate the plate, & reverse lights should only be on when you're backing up, so I guess they are OK... Again, I don't know if I was told this or I read about it or if it's just my imagination
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

Fummins (02-27-2024),mohammad (02-29-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    Also, for some reason, I think I was told it was illegal to have white lights illuminated on the rear of a vehicle facing rearward when driving down the highway to prevent confusing drivers behind you. License lights illuminate the plate, & reverse lights should only be on when you're backing up, so I guess they are OK... Again, I don't know if I was told this or I read about it or if it's just my imagination
    Sounds right to me.

I stuck a bunch of blue bulbs in an 86 Cutlass I had when I was 17. I got pulled over for speeding one time and they wrote out tickets for all the lights, had blue reverse lights, blue bulbs in the front side markers which turned them green. By the time the cop was done writing me up I already changed all the bulbs back to stock. The cop was less than thrilled and tore up the light tickets on the spot.
    That cop didn't like me though, small-town RCMP...It started when he raced me in his personal truck when he was off duty one time. I had no idea he was a cop til he caught up with me later and flipped out. My friends telling him where to go and how to get there probably didn't help things. After that, I got pulled over by every cop in town for everything you could think of until I moved away.

Mirage videos: