Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is the CVT transmission in the Mirage reliable?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Is the CVT transmission in the Mirage reliable?

I understand this transmission has its quirks but is it reliable?
    Has anyone had to have any major repairs on it yet?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmyess333 View Post
    I understand this transmission has its quirks but is it reliable?
    Has anyone had to have any major repairs on it yet?
    The Jatco CVT7 is designed for a range of small vehicles. There have been a few issues with it in the Nissan Juke but the Juke is far heavier and more horsepower than the Mirage. I don't know of anyone who's had CVT issues in the Mirage. It can be annoying at times but has been reliable. TaxiDave will be the real test of the CVT's. He's running a taxi service and recently picked up some CVT models.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    IIRC, somebody here had to have their CVT replaced under warranty, but it seemed to be an isolated issue. There are very few reports of CVT issues in the Mirage. As was said, the CVT used was designed for much heavier, more powerful cars.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thank you for the fast responses. I can drive a stick but I'm interested in the CVT for convenience and fuel savings. Plus an auto has no clutch to replace or throwout bearing or slave cyl and the shfit linkage bushings usually don't wear out.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm interested in the CVT for convenience and fuel savings
    Despite posted EPA numbers showing CVT getting better MPG than manual, real world results show the manual getting better MPG. I like the responsiveness of the manual compared to the delayed loping of the CVT I test drove.

My Mirage is the first manual car I've owned, besides the beater Ranger I bought to learn on. The clutch on the Mirage is ridiculously light compared to any other vehicle I've driven. I do miss the convenience of the automatic when I'm stuck in traffic, but the clutch is so light it's never a chore. As for the longevity of the associated manual transmission parts... here's hoping it makes it to at least 10 years.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.1 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 52.9 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to wellswebdesign For This Useful Post:

RapidRick (08-10-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Thank you for the fast responses. I can drive a stick but I'm interested in the CVT for convenience and fuel savings. Plus an auto has no clutch to replace or throwout bearing or slave cyl and the shfit linkage bushings usually don't wear out.
    If you are going to buy used be aware that the power train warranty will drop to the 5 year / 60k ( but I know you don't trust them), just info for ya. Look at my fuel mileage log. I'm getting right at the EPA mileage. Manual transmission owners are doing far better. Also since you are living in Central Texas you are going to have a lot of AC usage. Pick your color wisely. Onyx is black and thankfully here on the mind numbingly temperate Oregon Coast I rarely have to use it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Manuals need clutches replaced yes, but CVTs need fluid changes much more often than the manuals need maintenance (depending on the driver of course). Personally, I'd go manual.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Mr. Mits (03-13-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    Manuals need clutches replaced yes, but CVTs need fluid changes much more often than the manuals need maintenance (depending on the driver of course). Personally, I'd go manual.
    True, but anything I can do to keep from having to pull a FWD trans is worth extra fluid changes. FWD transmissions are not fun to remove.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    I can drive a stick but I'm interested in the CVT for convenience and fuel savings.
    You ought to check out the forum's Fuel Economy Log. Members who contribute track their fuel consumption for these little cars. In it you'll find a detailed fuel economy stats by engine size (1.2L vs. 1.0L) and transmission type (CVT vs. 5-speed manual).

You'll find a link to it at the top of every page.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Mr. Mits (03-13-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    You ought to check out the forum's Fuel Economy Log. Members who contribute track their fuel consumption for these little cars. In it you'll find a detailed fuel economy stats by engine size (1.2L vs. 1.0L) and transmission type (CVT vs. 5-speed manual).

You'll find a link to it at the top of every page.

That's very interesting.
    It seems the real world results are the opposite of what Mitsu says.