Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is the CVT transmission in the Mirage reliable?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by michelel View Post
    My warranty transmission replacement was approved today...it's going to be at least a few weeks waiting for parts...
    Sounds like it's going well. Thanks for checking back in. Be sure to let us know what the final outcome is!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    The purchase is a long story - not my first choice, but I ended up loving my car so it worked out.

My warrany transmission replacement was approved today. They ordered on a critical rush basis because they're all in Japan at the moment.

They are even trying to get Mitsubishi to pay for a rental car since it's going to be at least a few weeks waiting for parts. The service advisor expects to get the final ok for that tomorrow. I'm very surprised that they're doing all of this! I realize this is worth more than the car, and I am beyond grateful not to be car shopping right now.
    Congrats on the new CVT! 85k miles is the lowest miles posted on here, IIRC, about premature CVT failure. Did you ever do the 30k mile CVT fluid replacement? Or change out the 2 CVT filters? No judgement, most Mirage owners probably don't even realize they're supposed to do this unfortunately. I was asking for posterity sake for future readers of this thread to learn of.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Congrats on the new CVT! 85k miles is the lowest miles posted on here, IIRC, about premature CVT failure. Did you ever do the 30k mile CVT fluid replacement? Or change out the 2 CVT filters? No judgement, most Mirage owners probably don't even realize they're supposed to do this unfortunately. I was asking for posterity sake for future readers of this thread to learn of.
    There was one fleet car that got a replacement cvt. I think it was a 2015, I do know it between 80-120k km. It drove fine but it had a bad howl. Had a bad bearing somewhere in it. It was replaced with no questions asked. We had another 15' with around 120-130k kms that was completely screwed, it was never serviced and was totally beat to hell the entire time.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    There was one fleet car that got a replacement cvt. I think it was a 2015, I do know it between 80-120k km. It drove fine but it had a bad howl. Had a bad bearing somewhere in it. It was replaced with no questions asked. We had another 15' with around 120-130k kms that was completely screwed, it was never serviced and was totally beat to hell the entire time.
    So 2 out of what, 40? Is that a decent ratio in your experienced opinion? If yours was a fleet of Nissan Versas I wonder what the ratio would be? Or a 40 strong fleet of Yaris hatchbacks? Probably be most optimal with a fleet of Toyotas lol.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The purchase is a long story - not my first choice, but I ended up loving my car so it worked out.

My warrany transmission replacement was approved today. They ordered on a critical rush basis because they're all in Japan at the moment.

They are even trying to get Mitsubishi to pay for a rental car since it's going to be at least a few weeks waiting for parts. The service advisor expects to get the final ok for that tomorrow. I'm very surprised that they're doing all of this! I realize this is worth more than the car, and I am beyond grateful not to be car shopping right now.
    I hope and pray they have a replacement tranny in this country, and can get it to you in a timely manner.
    My engine on my 2018 Mirage (76k) was approved for replacement in April....and installed in July! Every car company is still going through major supply problems, and in spite of both the dealer and Mitsubishi's efforts, it took over 3 months to get the engine. I'm not complaining....I'm happy with the new engine (covered under warranty). I'm just saying you should feel lucky if you get the new trans in 3 weeks!
    Keep bugging corporate for the rental car!

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Sounds like it's going well. Thanks for checking back in. Be sure to let us know what the final outcome is!
    Update on my 2015 Mirage (which was purchased in 2016, not 2017 now that I think about it). Anyway, the dealer ended up getting the new trans in from Japan faster than expected, and I got my car back today. They paid Enterprise directly for my one week rental car, which happened to be a pinkish/purple 2021 Mirage with 10k miles on it. My car drives so much better now, it feels new again. I still can't believe they actually did all of that for me - I literally paid nothing.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to michelel For This Useful Post:

Fummins (09-25-2021),inuvik (09-29-2021),Mark (09-25-2021),Top_Fuel (09-25-2021),Wil B (09-25-2021)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    This guy said his cvt failed around 60,000 miles.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/th....374869/page-5

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The upside to the CVT failing is instead of buying one for $5k, you can persuade your wife to drop an EVO engine in because it'll be about the same price
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Marklovski For This Useful Post:

twister77 (10-22-2023)

Would any sane person spend $5000 on a Mirage transmission?
    There probably are cvt's that failed early. I had one replaced under warranty with far less than 60k miles. Another had around 80k but warranty was denied cause the fluid was never replaced(serviced by independent shop-poorly). It happens...Some last, some don't. There are a handful of cvt's in the fleet with over 250k miles. One hit 326k Miles the other day.
    And I noticed one of the Nissan cvt's has 250k miles too.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

inuvik (10-22-2023),Marklovski (10-22-2023)

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That's good to hear! I'm sure there's more to it. Like hot climate and driving habits.

Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Marklovski For This Useful Post:

inuvik (10-22-2023)