Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone having A/C issues? (not cold, compressor cycling every few seconds)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I haven't looked the Mirage setup over closely, however cars have rubber hoses and seals in the AC system must have the AC run every so often as the oil in the system is what keeps the hoses from leaking. So if you drive around with the AC off for longer periods in cool weather to save gas it should be cycled periodically to circulate the oil. This won't be a huge leak but slowly occur over time, usually over a couple of years. You notice it a lot up here in northern climates for cars not driven in winter where they sit for several months.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Take it back to the dealer, the car is under warranty 5 years and it should cover.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by man114 View Post
    I haven't looked the Mirage setup over closely, however cars have rubber hoses and seals in the AC system must have the AC run every so often as the oil in the system is what keeps the hoses from leaking. So if you drive around with the AC off for longer periods in cool weather to save gas it should be cycled periodically to circulate the oil. This won't be a huge leak but slowly occur over time, usually over a couple of years. You notice it a lot up here in northern climates for cars not driven in winter where they sit for several months.
    No issue there - we are in Texas so the A/C (and defrost, when it's muggy) is used frequently. Over the past few months it has worked okay when temperatures are in the 80s but now that we are in the mid 90s is it not very effective.

Quote Originally Posted by wmo168 View Post
    Take it back to the dealer, the car is under warranty 5 years and it should cover.
    Oh, I will -- just curious if this was a common issue or if others were experiencing it. We have a lot going on (that is why I buy new cars, to not have issues) and getting it to the dealer and trying to wrangle a loaner car out of them / arranging for alternate transportation is not at the top of my list of enjoyable things to do.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm taking in on Saturday. The closest dealer to my house wouldn't look at it on a Saturday (not fix, just check it out so we could plan for downtime) and doesn't offer loaners (and we can't go without a car since there is no mass transit here) so we are taking it to another dealer 30 minutes away.

I made the appointment and it already sounds like it is going to be a lot of aggravation. They said the warranty will cover any kind of hoses or fittings or equipment that has failed -- but if they "can't find anything" it will be $119.95 for a recharge. That would be fine on a 10- or 15-year-old car but I am not going to accept that a two-year-old vehicle with 30k miles on it should need a recharge, especially if "nothing is wrong" and if it is going to need a recharge every couple years.

They also said that if the condenser is damaged that that would not be covered (I looked at it and didn't see anything aside from some slightly bent fins from bugs). I assume that will be a $600+ repair given the prices I found online ($350 for the condenser plus parts, labor and recharge). I have never had this issue before and assume it would be because the condenser is not properly shielded from debris.

I will say that the appeal of this car is fading pretty quickly - the dealers are annoying to deal with and most of the savings from the low price and MPG are eaten up by relatively expensive insurance and consumables and parts (few generics available), plus the uncommon and expensive tire size.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to adrew For This Useful Post:

Daox (06-16-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Sounds like a bad dealer to you...

They should not charge to do a recharge if the AC need recharge. It is under warranty... If they claim you have damage in the condenser, have them provide picture or show to you in person or have them locate the leak and fix it. It could be a bad hose or condenser in the first place or most likely a bad compressor. Demand them to locate the leak. Freon don't leak out of AC for a reason. This is not like engine losing oil.

Sounds like this dealer is giving you a run around. I would either not pay anything to them or go to a different dealer in town.

You should not pay anything to fix if it is not caused by external damage. How much is your insurance deductible.. maybe if it cost $600+ to repair you may want to go thru that..

7. The Following User Says Thank You to wmo168 For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (06-27-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Bull****. If there's a leak, they need to find it, period. The Freon will not need to be recharged unless there's a leak. Stand your ground on that point. If the condenser needs replacing, that's a different story. The condenser is properly protected, but all it takes is one large item that you may not have noticed hit it.

I second the high insurance, definitely the highest I've ever had.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex1a1f For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (06-27-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Totally agree. I will press them on it and will get corporate involved for goodwill assistance/reimbursement if necessary. I just thought that it was weird that the service adviser would mention all of that on the phone instead of just telling me to bring it in and they would handle it.

The warranty actually says that after 12k miles, the refrigerant is only covered as part of a warranty repair (bad hose, fitting, compressor, etc.). So if they can't find anything (like if there is a pinhole leak in the evaporator but they don't take the dash apart to look), I guess I am technically on the hook for the recharge. I looked over the whole system under the hood with a flashlight and there is no greasy schmutz on any of the hoses, fittings or schrader valves and the compressor looks fine.

I am used to Hondas and Toyotas where any issues are just fixed during the warranty period, or even slightly afterward. Honda went 50/50 on parts and labor with me when the A/C compressor seized up on my 2003 Civic Si (two years and 30k+ out of warranty).

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsubishi Warranty Book
    AIR CONDITIONER REFRIGERANT CHARGE
    The air conditioner refrigerant charge is covered for 1 year or 12,000 odometer miles, whichever occurs first. After that, refrigerant charge is only covered as part of a warranty covered repair to the air conditioning system.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Good news: fixed!
    Bad news: no leaks found, charged $120 despite multiple requests to goodwill it

I asked if I will have to pay another $120 in six months when it is low again and got a noncommittal mumbled response and was informed that they get low mile cars in "all the time" that need to be recharged. (Hmm.)

Guess I need to write a letter to corporate and see if I can get reimbursed. We are kind of pissed off at how this has been handled and will not buy another Mitsubishi if this is going to be the ownership experience, where they try to weasel out of everything while the car is under warranty.

Getting the car serviced in the dirty old dealerships with indifferent customer service is not what I expect in this day and age.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    So it was low with no leaks found? Sounds like something you might be able to fix/refill yourself in the future using an AC recharge can.

My compressor also seems to cycle way more than any other car I have had. Wonder if mine is a little low as well.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    A can of refrigerant and a hose should cost no more than $20 and I've you've done it before this is super easy. I looked at it and it's no different than any other car.