Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone having A/C issues? (not cold, compressor cycling every few seconds)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Anyone having A/C issues? (not cold, compressor cycling every few seconds)

We have a '14 ES CVT with about 30k miles on it (it is white and has tinted windows, too). When we first got it, the A/C was awesome, even here in Texas. Toward the end of last summer, it started getting less effective and now it is gets kind of cool but not cold, even at higher speeds.

One thing I have noticed is that the A/C in this car has always seemed to cycle the compressor more frequently than in my other cars. But, now it can be hot in the cabin and we can have the temperature on 61, the vent on recirc and the fan on max and it will still cycle the compressor every few seconds.

To me this seems like it is low on refrigerant - just curious if others have run into this issue, if it is common, etc. before I take it in.

Country
    Denmark
    Thanks
    well refrigerant should be expected to be changed at least once every 2 years. This is what I know

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage Intense 1.2 manual: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by adrew View Post
    We have a '14 ES CVT with about 30k miles on it (it is white and has tinted windows, too). When we first got it, the A/C was awesome, even here in Texas. Toward the end of last summer, it started getting less effective and now it is gets kind of cool but not cold, even at higher speeds.

One thing I have noticed is that the A/C in this car has always seemed to cycle the compressor more frequently than in my other cars. But, now it can be hot in the cabin and we can have the temperature on 61, the vent on recirc and the fan on max and it will still cycle the compressor every few seconds.

To me this seems like it is low on refrigerant - just curious if others have run into this issue, if it is common, etc. before I take it in.

You check the cabin air filter? Make sure it's not restricted which would reduce the effectiveness of the air conditioner.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

IwantaMirage (08-30-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleartec View Post
    well refrigerant should be expected to be changed at least once every 2 years. This is what I know
    Refrigerant doesn't wear out or become less effective over time. If there are no leaks or replacement parts (compressor) there's no reason why it can't last the life of the vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    You check the cabin air filter? Make sure it's not restricted which would reduce the effectiveness of the air conditioner.
    I haven't in probably six months. Last time I knocked it out and it wasn't clogged up or anything, just had a few random leaves. It doesn't feel wheezy or asthmatic and still blows strong (just a lot of cool-ish air instead of cold). Every other car I've had will run the compressor continuously until the interior of the car cools down to ~70°F; this one will be cycling it even when it's still hot inside.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to adrew For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (06-27-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    100% incorrect. Refrigerant doesn't age, it should be a sealed system and last life of car without problems. You probably have a leak. Check all the lines for dirt buildup. That's where a leak will be, or take it in to get checked. Good luck.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zx2uner View Post
    100% incorrect. Refrigerant doesn't age, it should be a sealed system and last life of car without problems. You probably have a leak. Check all the lines for dirt buildup. That's where a leak will be, or take it in to get checked. Good luck.
    Yah, I'm with Zx on this one since you have good airflow. Most likely a leak.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Denmark
    Thanks
    who said something about ageing? I meant the climate control should be looked at by a professional every 2 years to make sure everything is okay, and not leaking. Nowadays everything on the climate control is made out of aluminum, which can corrode when in contact with salt. This could be the problem for leaks. I knew I car, its A/C didn't work in sommertime because of the condeser

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage Intense 1.2 manual: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    A few have had their compressors replaced due to failed bearings, but you would be able to hear that.

Please let us know what the issue ends up being.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have never had to service an A/C system unless there was a mechanical problem (hole in condenser from a rock, seized A/C compressor, etc.). Hope this doesn't turn into a lifetime of aggravation, ugh.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    who said something about ageing? I meant the climate control should be looked at by a professional every 2 years to make sure everything is okay, and not leaking. Nowadays everything on the climate control is made out of aluminum, which can corrode when in contact with salt. This could be the problem for leaks. I knew I car, its A/C didn't work in sommertime because of the condeser
    See above. You said refrigerant should be expected to be changed at least once every two years. This is not factual and I don't want them thinking this is the norm. Coolant should never have to be changed unless there's a leak or part replacement which was never mentioned in the former post. Now the later post makes a little more sense, even though this usually isn't the case either. Salt forms a chemical reaction way more readily with steel or iron parts, not aluminum. Aluminum is used for how light it is and durability mix. The problem she is having more than likely has nothing to do with salt corrosion.

Back to topic. Let us know what you find.

Last edited by Alex1a1f; 06-14-2016 at 03:55 PM.