Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mitsubishi 3rd best for 10-year maintenance costs

Although technically #2 is a Mazda, isn't it??

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Although technically #2 is a Mazda, isn't it??
    I think a Mirage is very economical to own/drive, but I don't believe the costs shared are all that accurate.

For example - If you look at their Mirage maintenance schedule, they list a timing belt/water pump replacement @ 100,000 miles. I would feel stupid paying for something (timing belt) to be replaced that doesn't even exist on my car.

As a broad generalization - I would agree some brands will cost you less than others.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (01-19-2023),mohammad (01-12-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I think a Mirage is very economical to own/drive, but I don't believe the costs shared are all that accurate.

For example - If you look at their Mirage maintenance schedule, they list a timing belt/water pump replacement @ 100,000 miles. I would feel stupid paying for something (timing belt) to be replaced that doesn't even exist on my car.

As a broad generalization - I would agree some brands will cost you less than others.
    As for some brands being really expensive to repair I have a hard time concluding that Saturn are expensive to operate UNLESS you ignore the schedule, ignore the timing belt change and drop most of your valves into the pistons when the belt breaks because it's a zero interference engine. Hello new top end, used engine, or scrapped car. Only takes 1 Saturn in 10 to suffer that fate and drive the overall average into orbit when actually Saturns were one of the earliest NA GM products to routinely hit 300,000 + miles without needing any major work.

But the chart does reflect the fact a BMW electronic ignition module would have set you back $1200 in 1988, pretty expensive part for a 318, itself a $18,000 car. A lot of Eurotrash cars were horrendous like this. I also remember when people would ***** because the Civic alternator was $99 against $29 for a Cavalier. Now it seems the Asian cars still have the highest parts prices but the lowest frequency of repair? That is a little weird.

I'm totally happy with both my Saturn and Mirage service costs. A new alternator for my Vue is only $120 shipped to me for a 140 amp job. If U really need a clutch it's only $130 complete, amazing deal. Drums were $52 or so, pads were $20, the serp was $22 so I can't scream about those numbers. Nor can I scream about $7 for the Mirage cabin air filter and $6 for the back window wiper blade. Reasonable so far.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm not surprised at all to see BMW and Mercedes at the top of the list of most expensive 10 year maintenance cost. My in-laws had an ML350 for many years and that thing was nightmare fuel. It was eventually replaced with a 2012 Chevy Sonic with a manual transmission which has been a significantly more reliable car, which my spouse uses now to drive to and from University. It has had problems in the past, but it's not a constant money pit like the Mercedes was, which our mechanic who is a family member had told us for practically forever to replace.

When I got a Mirage, my in-laws started really wanting one despite having been long time SUV drivers. My father in law used to drive a Mitsubishi SUV until around 2010 when it got totaled by some woman trying to put on lipstick while driving. It would probably still be with us today if not for that.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    New study: Mirage is the only non-Toyota / non-Honda in a list of the cheapest cars to maintain
    Twice!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    One thing that is a bummer about this is that the Toyota Yaris isn't even made anymore. The same applies to must subcompacts and even a lot of normal sized sedans traditionally sold in the United States. The Mitsubishi Mirage is among some of the only cars left in it's category in 2023.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by heathcliff View Post
    One thing that is a bummer about this is that the Toyota Yaris isn't even made anymore. The same applies to must subcompacts and even a lot of normal sized sedans traditionally sold in the United States. The Mitsubishi Mirage is among some of the only cars left in it's category in 2023.
    I agree it's sad to see the Yaris & Fit no longer sold here. GM & Ford small cars I could care less about.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    GM & Ford small cars I could care less about.
    In all honesty I miss the small trucks they used to sell. Before I owned a Mirage I drove a 2002 Ford Ranger. The new Rangers are nothing like the old ones and are hardly compact at all. Compact trucks don't even exist anymore. I feel like cars are getting more and more bloated by the year. The Mirage appealed to me for very similar reasons that the Ranger appealed to me: They're reliable compact vehicles in their respective classes, and marketed towards people who wanted to buy the cheapest thing in the showroom.