Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mitsubishi 3rd best for 10-year maintenance costs

Mitsubishi 3rd best for 10-year maintenance costs

Some people seem to be worried about the long-term prospects of owning a Mirage.

A new study shows that Mitsubishi overall seems to be a good bet for people keeping their cars for a long time.

In terms of estimated cost of maintenance over 10 years, only Toyota (and its 2 sub-brands) and Honda are better.

At YourMechanic, we have a massive dataset of the make and model of the cars we have serviced and the type of maintenance done. We decided to use our data to understand which cars break down the most and have the highest maintenance costs.
    Name:  Most and Least Expensive Cars to Maintain 2.jpg
Views: 2930
Size:  50.0 KB

Interestingly, one of the most common Mitsu problems (timing belts) doesn't even apply to the Mirage because it has a service-free timing chain, not a belt.

The page is worth a visit, because they rank numerous makes & models by various criteria:

• How do car costs change with age
    • Which models cost the most to maintain
    • Which models have the lowest maintenance cost
    • Unusually common car issues
    • Brands most likely not to start (Mitsu is the worst Japanese brand in this list)
    • Models most likely not to start (Eclipse is the culprit)

Read the full article: https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...y-maddy-martin

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Canoehead (06-16-2016),Cobrajet (06-15-2016),cyclopathic (06-16-2016),Daox (06-15-2016),inuvik (06-15-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Seeing mini that high makes me wonder.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ahausheer View Post
    Seeing mini that high makes me wonder.
    Ditto. I'm almost positive Mini is one of the worst. Hmm.

Oddly, if you look at their list of models that cost the most to maintain, Mini Cooper is on it.

I wonder if Mini vs Mini Cooper (supercharged) is the distinction?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    This list does not necessarily reflect the frequency of repairs, but rather just the dollar cost. Companies that produce a lot of simpler, less expensive cars are at the bottom of the list because their cars are simpler and less expensive to repair. Companies that produce a lot of complex, more expensive cars are at the top of the list because their cars are more complex and expensive to repair.

I guess you could glean some insight into each brand's overall reliability from this list, but I don't think that is what it is meant for.

The Mini may require a lot of less costly repairs, but the total cost of those repairs is lower than, say, one or two repairs on the BMW or Mercedes.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    The Mini may require a lot of less costly repairs, but the total cost of those repairs is lower than, say, one or two repairs on the BMW or Mercedes.
    But 'Mini' is a subsidiary of BMW....

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 36.9 mpg (US) ... 15.7 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My Mini has been very reliable. 3 cyl turbo 2014 model.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I wonder if there is enough data on Mirage by now. Interesting how it stacks up on 5 year TOC, does it better Versa and Spark?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    As a former 2012 Nissan versa sedan owner, I would venture to guess it has fairly high ownership costs for an economy car over a five-year period. Between the crappy three year/36,000 mile warranty and surprisingly bad overall quality, I expect it's pretty expensive to own. On mine the paint was starting to peel, windshield wiper problems, catalytic converter heat shield problems, front suspension/steering problems, and transmission issues. All that in only two years and 56,000 miles of ownership. It's a complete turd. Unfortunate really because it's a very refined little car with stellar fuel economy.

Another study...

New study: Mirage is the only non-Toyota / non-Honda in a list of the cheapest cars to maintain:

(G4 is #11)

Name:  Screen Shot 2023-01-11 at 8.57.39 PM.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  73.8 KB

Overall Mitsubishi as a brand has the 2nd lowest maintenance costs after Toyota.

https://caredge.com/ranks/maintenanc...ar/best#models

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

BigMW (01-12-2023)