Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ding repair? Who to use.

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Ding repair? Who to use.

Fed-Ex dinged mine right behind the rear door when delivering a nearly 60# box with sharp corners. Nothing major but concerned about rust through warranty, probably cost under $200 to fix. Think I should go to the dealer because of the rust through or use a long standing trusted local shop?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Pics?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    if the paint is damaged it definitely won't be $200. body work is astonishingly expensive. if your concerned over the warranty, there's no place else too go. i vote dealer.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    I say dealer also.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You could put Fedex on the hook for the damages, right?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Pics?
    +1 Really need to see pics to give you a good answer.

If it's a simple ding and the paint isn't damaged, a good PDR (paintless dent repair) guy can make it disappear in 20 minutes...for something like $50-75. This is almost always the way to go if your original paint hasn't been compromised. It's unbelievable what an experienced PDR technician can do these days.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Daox (06-20-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have pics on my phone I'll post tomorrow. Fed-Ex knows but I don't know what their insurance covers, right now I have to get an estimate and send it in. They've got all the pics and stuff.

Basically less than 1/2 an inch, paint is scraped, small ding.

I live in a fairly small town, there is a local collision place that is really cheap, hit a deer with one of my Grand Marquis, required headlights, hood, grill and bumper to be replaced and repainted and cost me only $1500. But was quoted $4000 from another place.

Gonna go to dealer first obviously, I'd rather cover my bases. Still depends on how much they cover on their end.

Don't need a loaner, I have 6 cars. We will see what happens I guess.

Country
    Denmark
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by man114 View Post
    I have pics on my phone I'll post tomorrow. Fed-Ex knows but I don't know what their insurance covers, right now I have to get an estimate and send it in. They've got all the pics and stuff.

Basically less than 1/2 an inch, paint is scraped, small ding.

I live in a fairly small town, there is a local collision place that is really cheap, hit a deer with one of my Grand Marquis, required headlights, hood, grill and bumper to be replaced and repainted and cost me only $1500. But was quoted $4000 from another place.

Gonna go to dealer first obviously, I'd rather cover my bases. Still depends on how much they cover on their end.

Don't need a loaner, I have 6 cars. We will see what happens I guess.
    But insurance or not, I hope they got something because otherwise they will **** bricks XD

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage Intense 1.2 manual: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    $250-500 depending on how much paint is used to blend. $250 being the cheap local placed I would take it to if they don't pay out. I trust their work though if it comes to it, my grand Marquis still looks good years after I hit that deer.

Gotta send two estimates to FexEx so gonna use the dealer shop and another highly rated shop I've used before. They don't sound too happy but it looks like they're gonna cover it. I'm guessing the driver ended up with a guilty conscience because they haven't really argued at all about it. Obviously if they agree to pay it goes to the dealer shop.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Go to the dealer. They normally have an older gentleman who is their ding and scratch guy. Call and ask because I bet he only rolls though once every week or so to your dealer. The one by me does all ten dealerships in a row on the same road, every week. He spends half a day at each one...