Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DIY: Battery replacement (with slightly higher capacity)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    A few more pictures.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 4722
Size:  89.3 KB

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 2469
Size:  86.9 KB

It works excellent. I get super fast cranking even with the headlights on. I ran the radio, 3.4amp dual cell charger, for 4 hours and cranked up perfectly.

2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Nothing like a fresh battery. Enjoy!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by alex16 View Post
    I've ran power banks but they only work great for about 200 cycles. Commercial use they deteriorate quickly, this battery was $104 and will give me all the power I need and more, plus I won't have to add anything into my small interior. Another nice thing is I have 3 year free replacement at any Walmart. The battery is almost identical in dimensions, about 3/8 inch longer 1/16 inch taller, 1/16 narrower. They had one that was 800cca va 725cca for $2 cheaper but it had the posts on the wrong side and I wasn't sure if the cables would reach.

The P175-65R14s are excellent tires btw I think I might try the p185-60r14s next. There's no way I'm spending double the money on tires, the p185s are $37 vs $98 for the p165 oem size. I won't make up the fuel costs of $250 over 30,000miles. I figured a 2mpg gain over 30k at 2.30 gallon nets about $65 saved. I noticed about a 2mpg loss with odometer correction calculated, but as mpg goes it could be more or less.. Too many variables.
    A couple comments: Walmart battery replacement sucks, it only works one time. Replaced battery is not covered.

We had 185/60, but on stock steelies they wore out with typical overinflated pattern. When we replaced them under warranty, dealer refused to put 185 as OEM rim is narrower than recommend for tire, so we have 175s now. 185s had slightly better handling and less speedo error, but the difference between them is very small.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to cyclopathic For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (08-11-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ah I've always had amazing luck with Walmart batteries. Normally they last about 4-5 years for me. Sometimes I get lucky and can warranty them before 3, but that's never happened to a battery I owned since new, have bought cars in the past with Walmart batteries that went bad and they warrantied them free replacement without receipt
    2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    @alex16:

Hey man, I know what you were going through finding a correct battery, it was hell!

I upgraded stock battery to an Interstate. It took several measurements and a return, but I found an Interstate battery that fits in the plastic tray (a little bit tighter, but it DOES fit!):

Interstate: MT-35

Hope this helps you and anyone else out.

-Charlie-

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Charlie For This Useful Post:

Wayne (08-12-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I was always wondering what the group size was. When I replace mine, I'll try to find one that's a bit lighter for weight reduction.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

same here

Ah I've always had amazing luck with Walmart batteries. Normally they last about 4-5 years for me. Sometimes I get lucky and can warranty them before 3, but that's never happened to a battery I owned since new, have bought cars in the past with Walmart batteries that went bad and they warrantied them free replacement without receipt

I have had good results with the Walmart batteries as well. That is, batteries made by Johnson Controls. Walmart batteries were made by Johnson Controls last time I checked, but not sure if they still are.
    I have had Delco, Motorcraft, Sears 60 (this was over the past 25 or so years) that lasted incredibly long. My 1999 F150 original Motorcraft (made by Johnson Controls) lasted 13 years (Oct 1998 to December 2011). Still worked, but cranked slow. I currently have a Sears 60 month in another car( Johnson Controls battery) that still works, bought it in 2003. Maybe not every one is perfect, but generally they seem to hold up incredibly well.
    One other old battery I have that has done well, a 'Harris Commercial' in my work van, from 2005. Still works great.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Opposite here. In 2 cars batteries from Walmart had to be replaced under warranty, and none worked more then 4.5 years. I suspect heat and gridlock may have something to do with it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Really? I've had the absolute worst luck with them. I call them Neverstart. I've been left stranded numerous times, and it's not like I was driving cars with anything wrong with them. When the last one died I refuse to buy them anymore I've slowly phased them out of all my cars. I used to work for Wal-Mart and while they're typically built by major manufacturers they're built to a different standard and if you compared the weight of one vs who was making it at any given time it was always lighter than the typical battery from the same company.

I remember one of their supposedly heavy duty ones died in a snowstorm while during my shift, go out wouldn't crank the car, I take it out take it in and the one newer auto guy I didn't know yet says it's fine. I told him if it's fine go start my car with it. One of my friends from the shop says just replace it, and sure enough starts right up. Before they stopped warranting subsequent batteries for the full period, I received 9 batteries on ones not outlasting the warranty, through 3 separate cars starting with that battery! In fact one of them is still in my current truck, one of the last two I still have.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yup I've got a everstart max yellow, it's about 8 years old and still works lol. I also have a 2 year old side post ever start, left the stereo blasting in my jeep Cherokee 3-4 hours at a time (amplified) and would not have any issues.

One of the issues I'm having now is my starter grinds all the time with the added power