Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: DIY: Battery replacement (with slightly higher capacity)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 667 Posts
    Watch out if you do replace the OEM battery with one of slightly different size, and be positive the upper radiator hose (which can get very hot) doesn't touch it!
    Thats one reason for the OEM battery tray. Battery life will thank you for that.

Plastic is better than stainless steel as a battery tray, because it is lighter and does not conduct electricity.

In Europe, there are no problems at all getting suitable non-OEM battery replacements. Maybe because there are so many small cars on the road, many being French, Japanese or Korean with those kind of batteries. Having said that, those higher and narrower batteries are more expensive than common types.

Last edited by foama; 05-10-2018 at 11:23 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

johane (05-12-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by alex16 View Post
    One of the issues I'm having now is my starter grinds all the time with the added power
    Are you still having issues with the starter grinding? I have never heard of that happening, but your comment has me slightly concerned since I will be getting a new battery soon, and was looking at going to a larger size battery(CCA rating anyhow, not necessarily dimensionally).
    Last edited by Eggman; 09-18-2018 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Fixed quote

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TXmirageGUY View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alex16 View Post
    One of the issues I'm having now is my starter grinds all the time with the added power
    Are you still having issues with the starter grinding? I have never heard of that happening, but your comment has me slightly concerned since I will be getting a new battery soon, and was looking at going to a larger size battery(CCA rating anyhow, not necessarily dimensionally).
    The starter grinding issue is likely caused by a known manufacturing defect, not a new battery. Refer to the following post and accompanying thread for more:

US: service bulletin for starter problem TSB-14-11-002

Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    FYI, found under the "Service Bulletins" tab on this page:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/...3VQ6O2TMH5Q8F9

Service Bulletin No.: TSB-14-11-002
    Component(s): ENGINE
    NHTSA ID Number: 10055251

Vehicle MakeModelModel Year(s) MITSUBISHI MIRAGE 2014

Manufacturer: Mitsubishi Motors North America, Inc.

SUMMARY:

MITSUBISHI: SOME VEHICLES MAY HAVE IMPROPER MESHING OF THE STARTER GEAR AND RING GEAR DUE TO INCORRECT BACKLASH. THIS CAN CAUSE A NOISE WHEN THE ENGINE IS BEING STARTED.

We haven't seen alex16 since they last logged in on 04-17-2018.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (03-05-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I can't post a direct link but acdelco makes the proper battery. http://parts-catalog.acdelco.com/cat...log_search.php
    Hey Fummins - following your AC Delco link, they return all Group 35 batteries. Do you have to make any modifications to fit these batteries in a Mirage, such as cut up the box or change out the j-hooks for something longer?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Ok, so I revived a necro thread. IMO past useful info should be re-used as often as needed.

I bought a used Kirkland group 24f today for my 2014 Mirage. It has 93% capacity left according to my tester. I guess the battery box comes out and the 24f just sits on the tray and gets bolted down. Maybe I should put this in my 2017 and take the 35 from my 2017 which still has 12 months of OTC replacement if it fails.

Naw, the Kirkland is better overall. Costco will replace it won't they if it dies and I make enough noise?
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks for the thread 2015 Mirage ES bought used Jun 6 2021 Checked the battery and found a Walmart Max 640 CCA size 35 dated 09/20 Check and still have the plastic heat shield around it. Car started on Sat Feb 4th 2023 after sitting overnight at -18 F. Was driven on Fri Feb 3rd.
    Terminals clean
    Top bracket snug

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ken2400 View Post
    Thanks for the thread 2015 Mirage ES bought used Jun 6 2021 Checked the battery and found a Walmart Max 640 CCA size 35 dated 09/20 Check and still have the plastic heat shield around it. Car started on Sat Feb 4th 2023 after sitting overnight at -18 F. Was driven on Fri Feb 3rd.
    Terminals clean
    Top bracket snug
    I have plenty of spare aluminum and SS to fashion a heat shield if I think my 24F is getting too hot. One more project to add to my list.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)