Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 'jerk' or 'lunge' into reverse infrequently - cvt

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    I have also noticed this lurching when slowing down to almost a complete stop, and then suddenly accelerating again.

Say approaching a red light and slowing down to about 10km/h, only to see it go green and hitting the gas in a reasonable amount to pick up speed again, and i do mean quite a modest amount, ill have lurching everytime.
    Id have to very slowly featherfoot the gas here to get some slow acceleration started without lurching.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jin View Post
    I have also noticed this lurching when slowing down to almost a complete stop, and then suddenly accelerating again.

Say approaching a red light and slowing down to about 10km/h, only to see it go green and hitting the gas in a reasonable amount to pick up speed again, and i do mean quite a modest amount, ill have lurching everytime.
    Id have to very slowly featherfoot the gas here to get some slow acceleration started without lurching.
    Yep, that's it. Accelerating from a stop or a very slow speed does it, when the AC is on. It's appalling for a modern car. God forbid I have a passenger with me who isn't familiar with my car. I always have to hear "why is your car doing that?". A bit embarrassing and grating on the nerves for a 2yr old car with 38k miles on it. I got to drive my Mom's new 2015 Outlander Sport, which too has a CVT. Holy cow that CVT is a million times better. Silky smooth and seems to have more "grip" upon acceleration. I suspect the different is a locking torque converter. Something ain't right with the Mirage's CVT.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by palebeachbum View Post
    Yep, that's it. Accelerating from a stop or a very slow speed does it, when the AC is on. It's appalling for a modern car. God forbid I have a passenger with me who isn't familiar with my car. I always have to hear "why is your car doing that?". A bit embarrassing and grating on the nerves for a 2yr old car with 38k miles on it. I got to drive my Mom's new 2015 Outlander Sport, which too has a CVT. Holy cow that CVT is a million times better. Silky smooth and seems to have more "grip" upon acceleration. I suspect the different is a locking torque converter. Something ain't right with the Mirage's CVT.
    Maybe a reflash of the CVT's programming is in order. I never experience this in mine, it's always smooth as butter, never jerky or lurches.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    A CVT should be the smoothest transmission you've ever felt. Zero jerking. I can understand a hiccup here and there but if you're saying your cars acting up all the time take it to the dealer. Transmissions are extremely complex, I would mention to them you don't mind waiting an extra day or so if it means having a highly experienced tech look at it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by palebeachbum View Post
    when the AC is on.
    I think this might be key to understanding what is going on. The combination of automatic control of the AC compressor - so that it is essentially always running - combined with low speed operation of a small displacement three-cylinder engine with modest power output running at a low RPM from a stop.

I'm not surprised this is happening.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMirageMpg View Post
    A CVT should be the smoothest transmission you've ever felt. Zero jerking. I can understand a hiccup here and there but if you're saying your cars acting up all the time take it to the dealer. Transmissions are extremely complex, I would mention to them you don't mind waiting an extra day or so if it means having a highly experienced tech look at it.
    It's not all the time. Only when the AC is on and giving it just the right amount of throttle to induce the lurching. If i accelerate gently, no issue. If I accelerate nearly full throttle, no issue. It's only with throttle input somewhere in between. Best way I can describe it is like the engine is bogging down as if in too low a gear. Yes, I know there are no gears with a CVT. But that's what the sensation is. CVT fluid was change less than 10k miles ago.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I think this might be key to understanding what is going on. The combination of automatic control of the AC compressor - so that it is essentially always running - combined with low speed operation of a small displacement three-cylinder engine with modest power output running at a low RPM from a stop.

I'm not surprised this is happening.
    That logic does make sense, which is why i mentioned it's like the engine bogs down under load. The AC compressor cycles on and off with an automatic climate system though. The compressor, which causes drag on the engine, is never running 100% of the time when the AC is switched on. That's the case in all cars. You'll notice the engine cooling fan cycles on and off in conjunction with the AC compressor. You can feel the power drop when the compressor and fan kick on.

So it sounds like we're saying it's normal for the car to be lurching due to the low power output of the engine. The engine is being overtaxed by the AC compressor. That's a bummer. It'd explain why another member said his car does the same thing with his manual transmission.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I drive with my a/c on pretty much every day I leave work. my cars a 5spd. I don't experience a "jerk" of any kind, but it definitely feels pretty much like what you described. Like I shifted once to many times. Never has anyone noticed (or verbally commented anyways) but my girlfriend and I have a running joke about the snowflake icon being switched to an anchor lol

It feels like you gain 5-10hp as soon as the compressor kicks off, but I would in no way call it appalling. It is however, very apparent in the gas pedal, as well as the gas pump.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MightyMirageMpg For This Useful Post:

anog (08-06-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I drive with my a/c on pretty much every day I leave work. my cars a 5spd. I don't experience a "jerk" of any kind, but it definitely feels pretty much like what you described. Like I shifted once to many times. Never has anyone noticed (or verbally commented anyways) but my girlfriend and I have a running joke about the snowflake icon being switched to an anchor lol

It feels like you gain 5-10hp as soon as the compressor kicks off, but I would in no way call it appalling. It is however, very apparent in the gas pedal, as well as the gas pump.
    Love the anchor. Too funny. I know "appalling" sounds harsh, but my last car was a 2012 Versa and it didn't do this at all. Yeah the power would lag when the compressor would kick on, but not this bad. Its like the engine has to either power the car or act as a generator for the AC compressor, but can't handle both tasks simultaneously.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to palebeachbum For This Useful Post:

MightyMirageMpg (08-06-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    snowflake icon being switched to an anchor lol
    Haha I think of it as a turbo button. I shut it off sometimes to take off and then turn it back on when I get up to speed. Definitely could see how annoying it might be for hot city driving.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 42.7 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.2 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to anog For This Useful Post:

Eggman (08-07-2016)