Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Demise of my 2014 Mirage!

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Demise of my 2014 Mirage!

Hey guys, just wanted to share the end of my story with my 2014 Mirage. Was driving straight through a green light last month on a Thursday night, but for some reason the other driver (BMW) made a left turn from the opposite direction into the intersection and totaled my vehicle. This was my FIRST ever accident! Man, I hope never to have a repeat occurrence again. Here are some pics of the vehicle..the carcass anyways:

Name:  IMGP0003.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  94.4 KB

Name:  IMGP0006.jpg
Views: 674
Size:  96.7 KB

Name:  IMGP0009.jpg
Views: 687
Size:  78.0 KB

Been a little over a month now and everything's finally settled. I filed a claim with their insurance company and got a total loss check which I used to purchase a slightly used 2015 Mirage DE (only 1300 miles), same color too (red).

I'm still in the process of cleaning up the vehicle and getting everything up to my standards. Plan on getting a DA Machine buffer to remove the swirls instilled by the dealership detail crew :-( as well.

NEVER thought I would get into an accident honestly. I thought since I'm so careful and defensive, always doing the speed limit, that it would never happen..well - reality check!

Anyways, I just want to put out there my advice to everyone. GET a dash cam!! The most stressful part was of course when the other party denied responsibility and had to go through a liability investigation. Dash cam would have saved that stress.

-Charlie-

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Charlie For This Useful Post:

anog (08-15-2016),inuvik (07-31-2016),poorman1 (08-04-2016),R01k (08-14-2016),ThunderG (08-01-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Well...the good news is that you're sill in one piece!

Any idea what the cost of the damage was to your car?

A dash cam is going to be my next purchase. Thanks for reminding me why I need to get one.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Daox (08-01-2016),RapidRick (08-01-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hey that's terrible luck!!

Can i ask what made you stick with the mirage? Did you buy back the wrecked car?

Thanks for posting pictures, glad your Ok!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    @ Top Fuel - no idea how much the damage was, but obviously considerable since the insurance company deemed it more economical to issue a total loss check for the vehicle rather than to attempt to fix it. There was additional damage not seen in the pictures too, but the pics show most of it.

@ MightyMirage - The Mirage is the perfect vehicle for me in its practicality. Maybe this is just the engineer in me, but I love how the vehicle excels in getting me from point A --> point B in the least amount of fuel expenditure possible without having a bunch of useless features and add-ons that I will never use to simply increase its purchase price. Market price, I was able to get the 2015 Mirage with only 1300 miles on it for $500 less than the 2015 Ford Fiesta I was also looking at with over 20K miles on it.

I drive super careful, always sticking to the speed limit, never agressive so I know that my HP needs are very modest. Purchasing a vehicle with more HP would simply be a waste of money for the cool factor. All of that power potential would never be utilized.

I also already have deep knowledge of the Mirage vehicle performing all maintenance myself and reading through the factory service manual. Did not want to have to re-learn everything with a new vehicle.

I even love how the way the engine sounds. I don't know if anyone knows what I mean, but when you get to your cruising speed on normal, surface roads doing around 45-50 mph, and the engine's humming at 1500 rpm, the sound that the little 3 cylinder makes almost sounds like a cat purring, it's VERY relaxing I've found! It even seems that the way the cheap engine mounts are help to augment how relaxing it is in the way it transmits the vibrations and sound waves into the cabin. It's almost put me to sleep a couple of times lol. I drove a Toyota Yaris as a rental during the insurance process. It was much more 'refined' in these aspects, but totally devoid of any character that I've come to love with the Mirage.

-Charlie-

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Charlie For This Useful Post:

Eggman (08-01-2016),inuvik (08-01-2016),Wayne (08-12-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Doh, sorry to hear of your accident. I'm very happy to hear you're okay and that you got yourself another Mirage!
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    What a douche, he hit you on the drivers side on a green light. Take responsibility you moron.

I'm glad you're okay, and its rather heartening to know that the vehicle can take a hit haha.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    @ MightyMirage - The Mirage is the perfect vehicle for me in its practicality. Maybe this is just the engineer in me, but I love how the vehicle excels in getting me from point A --> point B in the least amount of fuel expenditure possible without having a bunch of useless features and add-ons that I will never use to simply increase its purchase price. Market price, I was able to get the 2015 Mirage with only 1300 miles on it for $500 less than the 2015 Ford Fiesta I was also looking at with over 20K miles on it.

I drive super careful, always sticking to the speed limit, never agressive so I know that my HP needs are very modest. Purchasing a vehicle with more HP would simply be a waste of money for the cool factor. All of that power potential would never be utilized.
    Mirage Love posts make me smile.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spadesheart View Post
    What a douche, he hit you on the drivers side on a green light. Take responsibility you moron.

I'm glad you're okay, and its rather heartening to know that the vehicle can take a hit haha.
    Yea, you can get into a pretty bad accident and come out in one piece alright, but you know the really messed up part??

The other car was able to drive home with what looked to be only minor damage to their front bumper whereas my vehicle had to be towed away from the scene as a wreck.

The cool part though was the cops took pity on me and drove me home!

-Charlie-

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Hey Charlie, similar story with my 2014 Mirage. I am also a very defensive driver but I got rear-ended hard enough to write my car off. The car that hit me and also the car in front of me (that I got pushed into) appeared to only have minor panel damage and were able to drive away, while my Mirage (4 months old) had to be towed and was written-off. They're built for economy and practicality, not for getting beat up on by larger cars.

Glad you're okay.

Good to hear that you love the Mirage so much that you bought another one. Me too.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mirage_Sydney For This Useful Post:

Cleartec (08-02-2016),inuvik (08-02-2016),Wayne (08-12-2016)

Country
    Denmark
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage_Sydney View Post
    Hey Charlie, similar story with my 2014 Mirage. I am also a very defensive driver but I got rear-ended hard enough to write my car off. The car that hit me and also the car in front of me (that I got pushed into) appeared to only have minor panel damage and were able to drive away, while my Mirage (4 months old) had to be towed and was written-off. They're built for economy and practicality, not for getting beat up on by larger cars.

Glad you're okay.

Good to hear that you love the Mirage so much that you bought another one. Me too.
    yes correct. The Mirage is still an ok safe car, but not the safest as a bigger car always takes minor damage... It's like physics, an objekt with bigger mass than the other object is able to punch the other object away in a greater distance... Can't remember what the topic was called to the topic I explained. You get the idea...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage Intense 1.2 manual: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.6 mpg (Imp)