Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Demise of my 2014 Mirage!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Cars are designed to crumple up. By doing so the car absorbs the energy and therefore minimizes the shock your body goes through during the crash. The more it absorbs the less you absorb. So having a car that crumples up is actually a good thing and its designed into the car. They really aren't meant to survive a crash of any real speed these days. Safety is king now, not repair cost.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

glad you are ok

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    Hey guys, just wanted to share the end of my story with my 2014 Mirage. Was driving straight through a green light last month on a Thursday night, but for some reason the other driver (BMW) made a left turn from the opposite direction into the intersection and totaled my vehicle. This was my FIRST ever accident! Man, I hope never to have a repeat occurrence again. Here are some pics of the vehicle..the carcass anyways:

Attachment 6736

Attachment 6737

Attachment 6738

Been a little over a month now and everything's finally settled. I filed a claim with their insurance company and got a total loss check which I used to purchase a slightly used 2015 Mirage DE (only 1300 miles), same color too (red).

I'm still in the process of cleaning up the vehicle and getting everything up to my standards. Plan on getting a DA Machine buffer to remove the swirls instilled by the dealership detail crew :-( as well.

NEVER thought I would get into an accident honestly. I thought since I'm so careful and defensive, always doing the speed limit, that it would never happen..well - reality check!

Anyways, I just want to put out there my advice to everyone. GET a dash cam!! The most stressful part was of course when the other party denied responsibility and had to go through a liability investigation. Dash cam would have saved that stress.

-Charlie-
    My first Mirage (red 2014 DE) suffered a similar fate, only at 5600 miles and on the right side. First accident also, and I've been driving for 36 years. I bought another DE, also red, 2015.
    My ears are still ringing from the airbag (~170db). Did you get medical care afterwards? Probably should see an ENT or audiologist after side airbag deployment.
    But glad you are ok and that you bought another Mirage.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tomrad View Post
    My first Mirage (red 2014 DE) suffered a similar fate, only at 5600 miles and on the right side. First accident also, and I've been driving for 36 years. I bought another DE, also red, 2015.
    My ears are still ringing from the airbag (~170db). Did you get medical care afterwards? Probably should see an ENT or audiologist after side airbag deployment.
    But glad you are ok and that you bought another Mirage.
    Well, bright spot I guess is that I at least had 25k miles on it before getting it wrecked by someone.

My left ear actually WAS ringing right after the accident. However, after 6 hours most of the ringing had subsided.

If the audiologist does find something wrong, what can be done? They can't bring your hearing back right?

Anyways, as far as I can tell, my hearing is OK. I had MUCH worse ringing in my ears after my first ever concert (Green Day) - though I'm sure my sensitivity to certain frequencies has nonetheless been dulled by the accident.

I actually did not get any medical care at all. I got out of the vehicle and after seeing how much damage there was, was VERY relieved that I was not bleeding anywhere and that nothing was broken. In fact, after the cops dropped me off at my house, I went exercising (running) basically only after 4 hours from the accident. Guess I'm a bit of a fitness fanatic. That accident happened on a Thursday night, and Thursday nights are always running day for me rain or shine, accident or none lol. Good thing was after the run, it helped me relax and feel better and served to let me know that my body was indeed still physically intact after the impact.

-Charlie-

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Charlie For This Useful Post:

MightyMirageMpg (08-04-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yea, you can get into a pretty bad accident and come out in one piece alright, but you know the really messed up part??

The other car was able to drive home with what looked to be only minor damage to their front bumper whereas my vehicle had to be towed away from the scene as a wreck.

The cool part though was the cops took pity on me and drove me home!

-Charlie-
    Similar situation here, other guy had an older Chevy Camaro, front fender and corner of bumper crumpled a little and drove it home, my 2015 Mirage creamed tow guy said probably totaled.
    Name:  13901477_1365639913449698_3972291662851890492_n.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  93.8 KB Name:  13901535_1365639906783032_3869218542733477581_n.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  94.9 KB

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by daleWV View Post
    Similar situation here, other guy had an older Chevy Camaro, front fender and corner of bumper crumpled a little and drove it home, my 2015 Mirage creamed tow guy said probably totaled.
    No way. Hope you are ok.
    Last edited by Eggman; 08-11-2016 at 08:19 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    @dale - dang, that's crazy! Pretty annoying right? Our cars totally destroyed, their's can be fixed in an afternoon lol.

-Charlie-

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yep a tad bit annoying, lol.. Nobody in either vehicle hurt at least It was a fairly slow speed collision too, no air bags went off.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have been putting off getting a dash cam for years. I'll get one this week.
    No matter how defensively you drive, there's little we can do against others' mistakes.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by R01k View Post
    I have been putting off getting a dash cam for years. I'll get one this week.
    No matter how defensively you drive, there's little we can do against others' mistakes.
    YES! Get that dash cam..like yesterday! I installed a really cool one that mounts on your rearview mirror and replaces the rearview mirror since it is a mirror itself..hope that made sense lol. Camera viewfinder is a small square in the mirror that you can turn on and off. 1080P quality. I'm REALLY happy to have the dash cam now as I now have the security of knowing I have a defense against selfish drivers that may lie in the event of an accident.

Additionally, my crash experience has had psychological consecuences - I now no longer go through green lights quite the same anymore. Before, the green light represented 'OK to go' - now when I go through green lights, I get really careful and a bit more anxious. Green no longer means 'OK to go' anymore for me.. :-(

-Charlie-

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    I installed a really cool one that mounts on your rearview mirror and replaces the rearview mirror since it is a mirror itself.
    Charlie, can you share a link to your model dashcam? If you are willing, I wonder if you could start a separate thread on it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)