Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 175/80 R14 - Yes They fit.......most of the time.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    You have to remember when figuring out mpgeez that you are actually traveling 11.4 % more miles than the odometer says.
    I tried some 185/70-14s (from my del sol) but they bumped something in the rear when going up a drive lip. Based on that experiement, I bought some 175/70-14's, hoping for some increased road stability. About 5.4% larger, but the low end torque was pretty bad and the mpgeez went down despite the size increase. So I am phasing those out and have decided to shift to 13 in wheels and 155/80's. That has improved mpgeez signficantly (up around 50 now) and low end torque is up to the baseline. Handling is actually nicer, aided by my diy upper rear sway bar.
    The message is that bigger tires for me didn't improve handling. They did lower rpms/mile, but also mpgeez to the mid 40's or lower.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by philavine View Post
    You have to remember when figuring out mpgeez that you are actually traveling 11.4 % more miles than the odometer says.
    I tried some 185/70-14s (from my del sol) but they bumped something in the rear when going up a drive lip. Based on that experiement, I bought some 175/70-14's, hoping for some increased road stability. About 5.4% larger, but the low end torque was pretty bad and the mpgeez went down despite the size increase. So I am phasing those out and have decided to shift to 13 in wheels and 155/80's. That has improved mpgeez signficantly (up around 50 now) and low end torque is up to the baseline. Handling is actually nicer, aided by my diy upper rear sway bar.
    The message is that bigger tires for me didn't improve handling. They did lower rpms/mile, but also mpgeez to the mid 40's or lower.
    I have been taking into account the odometer being off. My mgp drop seems to have gone down about the same as others have reported when using near stock size non LRR tires. I am comfortable with the mpg loss. Was hoping for a gain but I think the only way that would happen is to use the euro final drive with stock tires. My main goal was to reduce top gear rpms as I drive 80mph quite frequently. I suspect handling would be worse with the larger tires as well but I also switched to the rear Yaris springs which work very well.

Take away is larger tires will not help mpg even if you drive in top gear often. They look nice and can reduce rmp significantly if a large enough size is used. Low end torque is reduced but for me it's insignificant. Being 3-4 hundred rpm lower on the freeway is great. Less buzzy and quieter.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Any updates to offer, ahausheer? What have you noticed with your new wheels?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Any updates to offer, ahausheer? What have you noticed with your new wheels?
    Very happy with the functional 11.4% rpm reduction they provide, they are definitely quieter than OEM, and the mpg hit is less than 4mpg per tank (depending how much you use 5th gear where the ability to achieve lower rpm actually comes into play).

The re-gearing doesn't sound like much but its the difference between going 70 and 78 mpg, so it actually makes a large difference on the highway in terms of rpm.

With my rear Yaris springs the car feels quite planted, IE, I don't feel a big squishy sidewall rolling over at all and it handles very well.

I still like the look of the raised ride height and large sidewall. The extra ground clearance is nice, especially when you run over an aluminum ladder at 75mph with absolutely no damage or even impact marks!!

These are definitely the largest tires that will fit, so I am kinda happy I found the limit.

Other than that I would encourage people to try them.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ahausheer View Post
    I still like the look of the raised ride height and large sidewall. The extra ground clearance is nice, especially when you run over an aluminum ladder at 75mph with absolutely no damage or even impact marks!!
    No way! Did this really happen to you?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    No way! Did this really happen to you?
    It did! It was perpendicular across the lane. Hit it with the front right and possibly back right. Big big thud and bump. Though for sure tire would be punctured and bumper smashed.....but nothing. Couldn't even see where it hit the tire. Mostly just lucky I think. But on oem tires there would not have been enough clearance and the bumper would have been smashed. My fumoto oil drain valve didn't even get clipped.

Last edited by gone.a; 08-24-2016 at 04:44 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to gone.a For This Useful Post:

Eggman (08-24-2016)