Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Engine wash

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks

Engine wash

Hi can anyone here direct me to DIY engine wash forums? With pictures if possible? I am planning to DIY wash my engine, I am anxious to do so as I've read many forums about it, and it scares me to try it LOL.

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You want to clean the entire engine bay? Mannnn just spray the whole thing with Simple Green and rinse it off.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Marklovski For This Useful Post:

BostonJellyBean (12-02-2016)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marklovski View Post
    You want to clean the entire engine bay? Mannnn just spray the whole thing with Simple Green and rinse it off.
    I bought a 3M degreaser, Simple Green is very rare here man, like unicorns, almost doesn't exist here. LOL. Well maybe what I need to see is what exactly should I cover first before splashing it with water.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I always just spray away. Never had an issue. Probably should cover some electronics but its got to be relatively rater resistant due to rain, humidity and driving through small puddles that splash everywhere. I always drive afterwards with the hood unlatched to heat things up and blow/evaporate as much water away as possible.

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah spraying it with water shouldnt do anything. No problems with everyone I know who have washed their engine bays.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I always drive afterwards with the hood unlatched to heat things up and blow/evaporate as much water away as possible.[/QUOTE]

I can't believe I just read this. Really? Warning, do not attempt this at home. Lol

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Car Nut View Post
    I always drive afterwards with the hood unlatched to heat things up and blow/evaporate as much water away as possible.
    I can't believe I just read this. Really? Warning, do not attempt this at home. Lol[/QUOTE]

I should clarify...latched but not compressed all the way down so there is a gap for air to flow into. Defimately don't want the hood to fly up.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    For my mental assurance, I'd at least cover up the air intake and the alternator before washing the engine bay.

-Charlie-

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I always just sprayed it all down with a can of oven cleaner it's cheap readly available and dose a great job. I would always make sure engine was nice and hot and go to a self car wash and use their sprayer. I always was careful not to spray plug wires, distributor, air inlet, an alternator. I never would cover anything up cause it wouldn't stay in place just never sprayed directly on those parts. Once I got my distributor cap wet on a old crx Honda and had to take off cap and dry it out because car wouldn't start I was stuck at the car wash. Any how good old "Oven cleaner"

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmtgamepack View Post
    I always just sprayed it all down with a can of oven cleaner
    Interesting. I always thought that stuff was caustic. Did it cause any problems with your plastic & rubber bits?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)