Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Engine wash

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I honestly don't know what long term affects of oven cleaner is that's a good concern you have. Is oven cleaner rubber safe? Don't know but I always sprayed all the cleaner off good so not sure..

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ahausheer View Post
    I can't believe I just read this. Really? Warning, do not attempt this at home. Lol

I should clarify...latched but not compressed all the way down so there is a gap for air to flow into. Defimately don't want the hood to fly up.[/QUOTE]

Don'the mind me. Just having a little fun. I figured that's what you did. Personally, I just shut the hood and go. The heat that builds up under the hood, will dissipate the water in short order.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I just gently wash mine with car wash in the spring and again in the fall. Wait for a nice cool breezy day so you can leave the hood open for a few hours for drying. The mirage did start very hard the first time. I did it this way on a galant I had and after 240,000 miles, it still looked new under the hood, And I live in NY where they use lots of salt on the roads in winter!

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Man, simple Green is way better than any commercial engine cleaner I think. I've tried it, and it de-greased very well. Though I wonder how can I clean the hard to reach area of the engine itself. I am planning to use it for underwash too. If it worked well on the engine then there's no way it won't work on the underbelly.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmtgamepack View Post
    I honestly don't know what long term affects of oven cleaner is that's a good concern you have. Is oven cleaner rubber safe? Don't know but I always sprayed all the cleaner off good so not sure..
    Over cleaner, with a pH of about 13 is some of the gnarlier stuff that's easily available. I have no idea how it would work long term as an engine cleaner, but as a chemical, I would not use it just on principle.

Household bleach is around a pH of 12, and because the pH scale is logarithmic is 10 TIMES less basic than oven cleaner.

I am definitely guilty of putting some bad stuff in the drain/gutter, but over cleaner is in a whole other league not to mention the possibility of acute reactions to skin etc.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gone.a For This Useful Post:

Eggman (09-14-2016),Top_Fuel (09-15-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ahausheer View Post
    Over cleaner...is some of the gnarlier stuff that's easily available.
    ...as a chemical, I would not use it just on principle.
    Yeah...seriously...do NOT spray your engine with oven cleaner. That stuff can easily eat through more than grease. Heck I don't even like to use it in my oven!

When I was a kid, we used to use Easy Off oven cleaner to remove anodizing from aluminum BMX parts...LOL. Guess I'm dating myself mentioning BMX. Anyway...check out this video to see what I mean...

Just stick with a good degreaser like Simple Green, etc.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Lar
    Country
    Philippines
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Anyone tries to cover the electrical parts before cleaning? What are these that we need to cover? Or can we just directly spray the whole engine bay with water without any cover on some parts?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by larjunil18 View Post
    Anyone tries to cover the electrical parts before cleaning? What are these that we need to cover? Or can we just directly spray the whole engine bay with water without any cover on some parts?
    I certainly wouldn't be spraying my engine bay with water. Why would you?

If you want the engine bay to look shiny--- for all those people who look under your hood lol--- just get a damp cloth and wipe down some of the plastic parts.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Maybe not everyone has pipe cleaners for fingers? Water is fine unless handled by imbeciles. Obviously you don't want to spray into the air cleaner and try to avoid going crazy on the top of the valvecover were the ignition coils are. I wouldn't drive around with the hood unlatched or use oven cleaner either. Maybe try this stuff called engine degreaser if it's an oily mess. https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/g....ds#store=467r to clean an engine?
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Maybe not everyone has pipe cleaners for fingers? Water is fine unless handled by imbeciles. Obviously you don't want to spray into the air cleaner and try to avoid going crazy on the top of the valvecover were the ignition coils are. I wouldn't drive around with the hood unlatched or use oven cleaner either. Maybe try this stuff called engine degreaser if it's an oily mess. https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/g....ds#store=467r to clean an engine?
    Fat people fingers just aren't as nimble!

Since this convo became whether oven cleaner is a good idea to clean an engine, I'm not sure our new friend ought to be liberally spraying water under their hood.

They prolly don't know the parts to avoid spraying (most?). Sometimes the Mirage Forum makes me shake my head.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)