Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you fit a bike in a Mirage's trunk? NOPE! Why not? Non-folding rear seatback!

Can you fit a bike in a Mirage's trunk? NOPE! Why not? Non-folding rear seatback!

One of the more task-specific Mirage reviews I've seen:

Can Mitsubishi's tiny sedan swallow a medium-sized bicycle?

...we bring you the first installment of Will It Bike, a Motor1 original series where we stuff bicycles into our test fleet to demonstrate what the process entails. This week we have a Mitsubishi Mirage G4, a subcompact sedan without folding rear seats. Will it Bike? Check out the video above to find out.
    From: http://www.motor1.com/reviews/93787/...irage-g4-bike/

Related: 2017 G4 rear seat removal-rear seat support or structural support?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I haven't tried to put my bike in the back of my hatchback yet. Been meaning to, just haven't. I know I'll have to remove the front wheel, but here's hoping I wont have to remove both.

That said, when I read the Mirage sedan had a non-folding back seat, I was dumbfounded. You *might* be able to get away with that with a Crown Victoria or something with a ginormous trunk. Not in a sub-compact. That's a pretty bad design, in my opinion.

(Anecdote: Google Chrome doesn't try to change the spelling of ginormous!)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.1 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 52.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I can put my Dahon folding bike in my 2014 Mirage and the cargo cover will still drop into place. Who needs big wheels?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.8 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MiMi For This Useful Post:

Eggman (08-12-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wellswebdesign View Post
    I haven't tried to put my bike in the back of my hatchback yet. Been meaning to, just haven't. I know I'll have to remove the front wheel, but here's hoping I wont have to remove both.

That said, when I read the Mirage sedan had a non-folding back seat, I was dumbfounded. You *might* be able to get away with that with a Crown Victoria or something with a ginormous trunk. Not in a sub-compact. That's a pretty bad design, in my opinion.

(Anecdote: Google Chrome doesn't try to change the spelling of ginormous!)
    Hatch fits a bike just fine with the seats down and front wheel removed. A bike rack is 100% easier though, so that's what I use with no ill effects. It's to the point I don't even remove it now since I bike every other day. And for all the mileage junkies, I've seen no change in fuel economy while doing this for the past month.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 51.2 mpg (US) ... 21.8 km/L ... 4.6 L/100 km ... 61.5 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MysticMirage For This Useful Post:

fc321 (01-18-2019),MightyMirageMpg (08-12-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MysticMirage View Post
    And for all the mileage junkies, I've seen no change in fuel economy while doing this for the past month.
    You must be using a hitch mounted rack. Any pictures?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    How in the world could they have made this big of an oversight?? That's just ridiculous...
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Basic For This Useful Post:

MightyMirageMpg (08-12-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    You must be using a hitch mounted rack. Any pictures?
    Nope, using a hatch mounted one. It's really small and weighs only a couple pounds. The road bike only weighs 17 pounds. With how close it all mounts, drag doesn't seem to be affected much.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 51.2 mpg (US) ... 21.8 km/L ... 4.6 L/100 km ... 61.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I haven't had a sedan for many years, but I thought that they never had folding rear seats. That way the stuff in the trunk is isolated from the passenger compartment.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    I'd have to say epic fail on mitsubishis part to not include folding rear seats.

Would a hatchback rear seats fit in a sedan? Might be worthwhile for some sedan owners to find out.

"Space star"...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jin View Post
    I'd have to say epic fail on mitsubishis part to not include folding rear seats.

Would a hatchback rear seats fit in a sedan? Might be worthwhile for some sedan owners to find out.

"Space star"...
    The latching mechanism for the rear seats would be a major barrier to installing the hatchback rear seats into the sedan.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)