Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fan Blower Not Working

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mirage-2014 View Post
    i can live with spinning the fan motor by hand to get it started. hopefully that continues to work...
    thanks.
    Or get a used one from a scrapyard.

Good luck.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    i can live with spinning the fan motor by hand to get it started. hopefully that continues to work...
    thanks.
    I cannot tell if you're being serious or not here. If tapping it didn't work but starting it by hand did, I am going to bet it's just the fan motor. Replace the motor, it will more than likely fix the problem. Seriously, just try it bud.

Used ones are pretty cheap.

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/351754610689

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/111483311465

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/231851255740
    Last edited by Alex1a1f; 10-08-2016 at 04:41 AM. Reason: Added eBay links
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    i did as you said. i smacked it and wiggled the wires. nothing...
    then i stuck my hand down in the fan blower motor and gave it a spin, AND IT CAME ON!
    so i guess now if i want to have the blower come on, i have to manually give the motor a spin by hand to get it going.
    by the way, i have taken it to 3 dealers now regarding this problem. after 375$ in total "diagnostic fees", none of them are helpful. one dealer wants to replace the entire "HVAC SYSTEM" for 875$, another wants to replace the fan motor blower for 395$, and another dealer does not know what else to check after replacing the relay.
    thanks.
    The motor runs on 12v when at full blast. There is usually a resistor pack responsible for the other speeds. At high, it's getting 12v, at a notch below high it's getting 11v, etc. At low it might only be getting 1v. If you have a bad resistor pack it could explain the random behavior. But if it isn't running when set at any speed then this is unlikely.

You might be able to disconnect the electrical connector on the motor and run 12v to it. Or, you could remove your motor and hook it directly to 12v using jumper wires and see if it takes off. If it functions properly under direct power, the problem is elsewhere. If not, it's the motor. Find a wrecked Mirage and cannibalize the blower motor, or get one off of Ebay. There are usually only three nuts and an electrical connector.

That's really the only way to rule out the motor as your problem: test it directly. And I am sure the dealership knows that...

Dealerships have a vested interest in keeping you coming back, and unless you actually got the old blower motor back from them when it was replaced before they could have just pulled a twig out of it the first time (to cure the noise) and sent you on your way.

I hate being this cynical, but I have dealt with stealerships before.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (10-08-2016),mohammad (03-20-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    There is usually a resistor pack responsible for the other speeds. At high, it's getting 12v, at a notch below high it's getting 11v, etc. At low it might only be getting 1v. If you have a bad resistor pack it could explain the random behavior.
    The service manual says this uses a power transistor, so I doubt it has a resistor pack. Makes it easy to have more than three fan speeds.

It would be good to look at this transistor.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (10-08-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    thanks.
    Hey mirage-2014 how's your fan these days?

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    i did as you said. i smacked it and wiggled the wires. nothing...
    then i stuck my hand down in the fan blower motor and gave it a spin, AND IT CAME ON!
    so i guess now if i want to have the blower come on, i have to manually give the motor a spin by hand to get it going.
    by the way, i have taken it to 3 dealers now regarding this problem. after 375$ in total "diagnostic fees", none of them are helpful. one dealer wants to replace the entire "HVAC SYSTEM" for 875$, another wants to replace the fan motor blower for 395$, and another dealer does not know what else to check after replacing the relay.
    thanks.
    i think itsreally the motor. its just like an ordinary electric fan wherein the longer you use it, it tends to stop when the motor is like worn out or out of oil. our blower has a part number maybe you can find one online or get from a damaged mirage as replacement.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mitsumi For This Useful Post:

flatbroke (01-07-2017)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

i can't believe it

I'm laughing over here. My issues are similar. Randomly comes on when I hit a speed bump or hit my dash. Then that stopped working. Decided to find the motor and give it a little wack.

https://youtu.be/VzJjTpRuCd0

Just a heads up, the blower motor can be replaced with a screwdriver without removing the glovebox. Takes a minute or 2. It mounts under the heater box. It's just 3 screws iirc. Hitting it will work fine until it doesn't anymore.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)