Thread: A/C Compressor Help Needed

Country
    United States
    Thanks

A/C Compressor Help Needed

I have a 1999 mirage and I am putting in an ac compressor. On the side of the compressor is a yellow sticker with the viscosity and amount of refrigerant oil needed. It calls for PAG 56. I can't find this stuff anywhere! I can find Pag 46, 100, and 150 just about everywhere, 125 some places, and very rarely 132, but that's it.

My question is if I go with the slightly lower viscosity 46 will I have any issues?
    Is a difference of 10 a big difference as far as density or flow or lubrication consistency?

It specifically calls for 140cc of SUN PAG 56
    I think SUN is just a brand name or something... I know PAG is Polyalkylene Glycol
    I know I need about 4.7 fluid oz. of the stuff

When I called the dealer in town they just say to bring it in for service. I asked what viscosity they would put in it and they said all the techs are busy. I gave them my number and requested for a tech to call me so I could ask what i'm asking here. No call in over a week and get the same "techs are busy" every time I call. If I had the money to take my car in for service I would not be replacing the compressor myself.. I'll be stopping by on my day off next week to ask in person, but hopefully someone has the answer.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,566 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 99mirage View Post
    I have a 1999 mirage and I am putting in an ac compressor. On the side of the compressor is a yellow sticker with the viscosity and amount of refrigerant oil needed. It calls for PAG 56. I can't find this stuff anywhere! I can find Pag 46, 100, and 150 just about everywhere, 125 some places, and very rarely 132, but that's it.

My question is if I go with the slightly lower viscosity 46 will I have any issues?
    Is a difference of 10 a big difference as far as density or flow or lubrication consistency?

It specifically calls for 140cc of SUN PAG 56
    I think SUN is just a brand name or something... I know PAG is Polyalkylene Glycol
    I know I need about 4.7 fluid oz. of the stuff

When I called the dealer in town they just say to bring it in for service. I asked what viscosity they would put in it and they said all the techs are busy. I gave them my number and requested for a tech to call me so I could ask what i'm asking here. No call in over a week and get the same "techs are busy" every time I call. If I had the money to take my car in for service I would not be replacing the compressor myself.. I'll be stopping by on my day off next week to ask in person, but hopefully someone has the answer.
    All of the reference charts I saw listed PAG 46 as the replacement.
    http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/i...pl-5/7060122-P

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

99mirage (08-13-2016),Eggman (08-13-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks. I can get that anywhere so I'll finish it up today.