Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heater core failure followed by FAST key failure

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Angry Heater core failure followed by FAST key failure

UGH. I like my little car. I once got 63 mpg hypermiling. But over the winters I had an intermittent issue with the FAST key not functioning properly. It would always start my car, but the FAST key light and buzzer would come on and no radio. I took it to the dealership, but each time I did they stated that it just didnt happen to them.
    Fast forward through two winters and not last week I started smelling something strange. It took me a day to figure out that the heater core was leaking coolant all over my floor. I took the car to the dealer and they told me that at 65k miles Mitsubishi will probably not cover it and then proceeded to tell me that they couldn't get me in for over a week. I called to the county next to us, and they agreed to look at it if i towed it over there, and paid the $94 diagnostic fee first. :-0
    long story longer I bought two copper elbows and a piece of copper pipe and bypassed the heater core for the time being...I just cant be without a vehicle for that long. However today my FAST key stopped working properly in the heat. It starts the car, but buzzer is on constantly.

UGH

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    There have been a couple of heater core failures from other members. Most were located in hot climates. Lack of heater use a contributing factor? Don't know. All I know it's a spendy part and you have to remove the dash to replace it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

clw1976 (08-15-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    That heater core repair is going to be a butt-kicker. Someone in another thread quoted that as a $900+ repair. Since the entire dash has to come out, that's not a shock.

Since you are so close to being out of warranty, you might ask the service manager to see if Mitsubishi will throw you a bone and pay for part of the repair. Most manufacturers have some sort of "after warranty assistance" programs for situations like this, but they usually won't tell you about them. It can often be up to the discretion of the dealer if they want to help you out. If you're a good customer (you have your car serviced at that dealership), they will be more inclined to help you out. You might be able to get a deal where you pay for 50% of the repair. It doesn't hurt to ask.

The FAST key is a tough call. Intermittent issues can be a bear for both the customer and the dealer. Technicians generally don't get paid to track down intermittent problems. When a tech sees a problem on a work order and he can't duplicate it, there's not much he can do. Well...he could spend a couple of hours trying different things, but he normally won't get paid well for that time. He will want to grab the next work order to do a job he's going to get paid for.

If you have an intermittent problem, you may have to wait until you can easily duplicate it before taking it in. Some times that's the only way to get someone to fix it. Have you looked at the FAST key diagnostics in the service manual? There might be some thing you can try there.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    so the car starts and drives it just buzzes?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If the links don't work here it is shortly.
    Pop the plastic cover off in front of left knee.(below steering wheel down to the left.the fuse box cover).
    Locate yellow square holder with two fuses in it. Push in on the whole thing and feel it going in and possibly hear click!

Congrats you just fixed the key and radio issue

http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...7266#post47266

http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...for-loose-fuse

http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...2015-mirage-es

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 66.3 mpg (US) ... 28.2 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 79.7 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 3dplane For This Useful Post:

clw1976 (08-15-2016),Eggman (08-15-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    AWESOME!!! Thanks 3dplane.

Wiating on Mitsubishi for the heater core. I really do like this car. If they fix it I will keep it and perhaps buy another Mitsubishi in the future. If not...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks for the input so far everyone.
    The factory rep for my dealership said the warranty is only good for 60k miles. he refused to entertain the idea that a car with 65k miles shouldn't have a heater core issue. I have a case open with Mitsubishi Customer service. They promised to give me an answer by tomorrow.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    yes MightyMirageMPG, it would start fine and buzz with no radio. However I did the fix suggested by 3dplane and it worked.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to clw1976 For This Useful Post:

3dplane (08-16-2016),Daox (08-17-2016),Eggman (08-16-2016),MightyMirageMpg (08-15-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Heard from the Mitsubishi rep. They are refusing to cover it since i am at 65k miles. The rep told me that Mitsubishi's stance is that it is not their issue.

Bummer

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clw1976 View Post
    Heard from the Mitsubishi rep. They are refusing to cover it since i am at 65k miles. The rep told me that Mitsubishi's stance is that it is not their issue.
    Well...that sucks. But it never hurts to ask. So what are they quoting you to do the repair?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)