Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I sold my Mirage and the reason why

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks

I sold my Mirage and the reason why

As some of you may know, I purchased my 2014 Mirage ES in July of 2014. It suited my needs perfectly and I enjoyed the car as well as the fuel economy that it gave me.

Fast forward about a year and I noticed strange tire wear, so I went to a local tire shop to get the alignment checked. Sure enough, rear camber was out of spec and toe was close to being out of spec. Since I normally carried a couple hundred pounds worth of gear in the hatch, the camber being out would have probably equated to toe being out if the car was unloaded.

So I took it to the Mitsubishi dealer to get it all checked out. Yep, sure enough it was out of spec so a replacement rear axle was ordered. Fast forward a couple of weeks and the new axle was installed only to find out that it too was out of spec.

"Well, we will escalate this to Mitsubishi and see what they want to do".

So I checked back every other week with the same response every time. "We don't have any word yet.". Eventually, my yearly vehicle inspection was coming due. Not only that, but we were having a VERY wet spring (2016 at this point) and I was having a LOT of problems with my car hydroplaning due to severely worn tires, at only 30,000 miles on the tires!! So I asked my dealer if Mitsubishi could do anything to help with my situation since the worn tires were a direct cause from the out of spec rear axle.

I asked for 2 months before the inspection was due on my Mirage and got nothing. Not to mention I had taken my Mirage in for a no-start issue. Of course, they could not duplicate the problem but instead of admitting that they did not know what caused the no-start issue, they blamed it on my power inverter that was installed under the driver's seat. Being a former ASE certified mechanic myself who specialized in electrical repair, I can say with certainty that the power inverter had nothing to do with the car not starting.

So, due to this lack of support from the dealership and from Mitsubishi, I felt as though I was forced into a decision. Pay for a new set of tires out of my own pocket and pray that nothing else goes wrong with the car, or sell it.

In June of 2016 I reluctantly said goodbye to my Mirage. I have owned a total of 5 brand new vehicles (Hyundai, Dodge, Chevy, Mitsubishi, and Honda) and I have NEVER been treated like an annoyance by the dealership as I was with my Mirage. So why didn't I just go to a different dealer? Because it is too far away for me.

This is the reason I am no longer around. Originally, I did not want to make this post but I was encouraged to do so by an unnamed group of people here.

Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to 91cavgt For This Useful Post:

clw1976 (08-16-2016),Daox (08-17-2016),Eggman (08-15-2016),emdeplam (08-16-2016),fifteenwindow (08-23-2016),MetroMPG (08-16-2016),mitsumi (08-19-2016),Teasmade (08-21-2016),ThunderG (08-16-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Dang dude, sorry to see you go! Don't know why it's gotta be like that, but dealerships can have a way of ruining anything.

-Charlie-

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My dealership refused to take care of any of my problems. I've bought used cars that came with a better warranty than my mirage. My rear tires are almost destroyed now as the first set were. My steering wheel leather worn through, they tried to charge me for battery's I had already replaced in my fast key.

I too will never buy another new Mitsubishi any time soon. The dealership and warranty claims have been my biggest issues. I should have bought the used mirage with 7k miles for 5k less, I just always wanted a new car and to have the full warranty... Which turned out to be worthless.

I love my mirage but the rear alignment is a horrible defect, shame on Mitsubishi.

I hope the 2017s have a good rear axle I can swap into my mirage.
    2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to alex16 For This Useful Post:

clw1976 (08-16-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Sorry to hear your dealer left you out in the cold. Which dealership was it?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 91cavgt View Post
    As some of you may know, I purchased my 2014 Mirage ES in July of 2014. It suited my needs perfectly and I enjoyed the car as well as the fuel economy that it gave me.

Fast forward about a year and I noticed strange tire wear, so I went to a local tire shop to get the alignment checked. Sure enough, rear camber was out of spec and toe was close to being out of spec. Since I normally carried a couple hundred pounds worth of gear in the hatch, the camber being out would have probably equated to toe being out if the car was unloaded.

So I took it to the Mitsubishi dealer to get it all checked out. Yep, sure enough it was out of spec so a replacement rear axle was ordered. Fast forward a couple of weeks and the new axle was installed only to find out that it too was out of spec.

"Well, we will escalate this to Mitsubishi and see what they want to do".

So I checked back every other week with the same response every time. "We don't have any word yet.". Eventually, my yearly vehicle inspection was coming due. Not only that, but we were having a VERY wet spring (2016 at this point) and I was having a LOT of problems with my car hydroplaning due to severely worn tires, at only 30,000 miles on the tires!! So I asked my dealer if Mitsubishi could do anything to help with my situation since the worn tires were a direct cause from the out of spec rear axle.

I asked for 2 months before the inspection was due on my Mirage and got nothing. Not to mention I had taken my Mirage in for a no-start issue. Of course, they could not duplicate the problem but instead of admitting that they did not know what caused the no-start issue, they blamed it on my power inverter that was installed under the driver's seat. Being a former ASE certified mechanic myself who specialized in electrical repair, I can say with certainty that the power inverter had nothing to do with the car not starting.

So, due to this lack of support from the dealership and from Mitsubishi, I felt as though I was forced into a decision. Pay for a new set of tires out of my own pocket and pray that nothing else goes wrong with the car, or sell it.

In June of 2016 I reluctantly said goodbye to my Mirage. I have owned a total of 5 brand new vehicles (Hyundai, Dodge, Chevy, Mitsubishi, and Honda) and I have NEVER been treated like an annoyance by the dealership as I was with my Mirage. So why didn't I just go to a different dealer? Because it is too far away for me.

This is the reason I am no longer around. Originally, I did not want to make this post but I was encouraged to do so by an unnamed group of people here.
    Did you look at the new mazda 3/6/cx-5?

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Sorry to hear your dealer left you out in the cold. Which dealership was it?

Jubilee Mitsubishi in Waco, Texas.

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chris_top_her View Post
    Did you look at the new mazda 3/6/cx-5?

No, I didn't. I went out and bought a cheap used car to commute. Then we went and bought my wife a new 2016 Honda Pilot Touring. Once we get some other bills paid off, it is looking like I will end up getting an electric car since 90% of my driving is just around town. Right now, the Kia Soul EV, Nissan Leaf, and the upcoming Tesla Model 3 are all attractive with their range and price. We will see as the 2017 and 2018 models come out as to which one has the best range, interior space, and price.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    i couldn't agree more about the mitsubishi warrantee being an absolute joke. i hope you enjoy your (future) EV. Good luck!

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    A shame the dealer and Mitsubishi corp didn't have much care of your needs under warranty . We're likely not to get a Mirage G4 or Mirage thanks to their lack of care for buyers . The Toyota Yaris sedan is out there now and the new '17 Yaris hatch will have many safety features as well . May just stay with what we have , many makes have issues .

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Yep, sounds like your dealer and Mitsubishi were just dragging their heels to get you off warranty.

It's a shame that the manufacturer and dealership successfully chased you out of a car you otherwise liked.

As for my '15 ES and my girlfriend's '14 DE, they have been rock solid.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (08-16-2016)